TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bird has been sitting for about three weeks now. it is continuously losing atf, even while parked. its sitting on a slight incline, situated to where the driver side is facing downhill. the atf has appeared to mix with water. i put a large cookie sheet underneath, and it was filled with water and atf in about a week.

i crawled under and noticed that the tranny support bracket has rotated towards the front of the car a good amount, like 30 degrees. the mount looks like its toast, as well, hence while the bracket is tilted like that. i didnt see anything that looked cracked, nor was the pan loose. the yoke seal area looks dry. the area around the mount, as well as almost the entire undercarriage, is covered in wet grime. a bad mount wouldnt cause a continual loss of fluid like this, would it? and where is the water coming from?

now the weird part:

i checked the dipstick. after 3 clean wipes, the level comes up to over an inch above the plastic part of the dipstick.

any ideas? my apartment is starting to get on my case about this!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Possible radiator leak internally. The coolant is working into the transmission, it's so overfilled that it's venting out of the transmission vent. That would be my guess. Especially if the fluid is foamy and pink like a milkshake. Check the radiator also to see if it is also mixed. If it is then the fix is change the radiator and all of the transmission fluid before it eats the glue that bonds the friction material inside the transmission.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the car at the same incline when you checked the fluid or was it on a level surface?
always been on an incline. i know i checked it wrong, but im not going to start it up until i found out if it is safe to do so. im worried that if i start it up, it will leak like crazy.

the fluid is not pink and foamy. i havent checked the radiator yet.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
tranny fluid will show higher than normal when car is not running, due to the tranny pump not puming fluid...

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the radiator also to see if it is also mixed.
negative, still typical green color.

i havent noticed if it is still leaking. i have a folded up old towel sitting in the cookie sheet absorbing any liquids.

im thinking i should just bite the bullet and fire it up...

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im thinking i should just bite the bullet and fire it up...
and i did so. no leaking yet. the coolant is still green but the level in the tank drops quite a bit while running, and rises back up after shutting it off. the tranny dipstick is dry, but im not driving it (pedals arent installed.....if you dont know, then dont ask why). its still on a slight incline.

before i go and spend more money on atf and a new radiator, can anyone confirm that my radiator is in fact leaking internally? what else can i check for?

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Pressure test the rad and see if it holds or not. If it doesn't hold, disconnect the tranny lines and pressurize it again and see if it comes out the holes where the lines bolt up.

Also, if the cooler in your rad is in fact busted, rather than swapping the rad, you could just bypass the internal cooler, run an external cooler, and plug up the holes for the stock tranny cooler. You live in texas, so you would never have a need to warm up the trans fluid, and an external cooler will keep the fluid cooler anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts