TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You talkign about the idle surging up and down? Seems to happen often with a high stall converter. My guess is that the pcm expects the converter to hold the rpms up and the converter is not doing it because of the stall. So the pcm has to use a "dashpot" feature to prevent the engine from stalling. Mine is doing it right now as well, changes to the tune that keep the converter locked when you let off the throttle seem to help a ton.
Alan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!!!

That's what I needed to hear. I am still waiting for gears and so on before the tune...

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The engine light is back seems the Non Fouler trick is not working and I'm getting a 430 code..

Thanks...
You have an 03 engine and are already getting oil seepage? That sucks...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would look into the "minimum air rate", also known as base throttle blade adjustment. I will bet that it is too far closed, good luck.

Kevin.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
You talkign about the idle surging up and down? Seems to happen often with a high stall converter. My guess is that the pcm expects the converter to hold the rpms up and the converter is not doing it because of the stall. So the pcm has to use a "dashpot" feature to prevent the engine from stalling. Mine is doing it right now as well, changes to the tune that keep the converter locked when you let off the throttle seem to help a ton.
Alan
Is this gonna happen when i install my 3800 stall?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets hope not!!!

Bugs the heck out of me....

I also seem to have trouble with the shift points...I think it may just be me tho... I have no idea what this tranny was built for to what specs I mean... I know who built it and who bought it..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope so!!!!

I had a tune sent to me today but it wont load to the xcal2 so I am waiting to find out...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Would a mail order tune fix that?
Yes it will, However a certain tuner who used to frequent this board refuses to tune any vehicles that have anything to do with me (sabotaging his own business I presume). I can give you a list of competent tuners who are familiar with these cars.
Dave Dalke deals with them the most, if for some reason he does not want to do it I suggest Rick at Amazon Racing, Jeff at Precision Autosports or Mike at Dayton performance. All of these people are competent in tuning an automatic and will treat you fairly.
Alan

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes it will, However a certain tuner who used to frequent this board refuses to tune any vehicles that have anything to do with me (sabotaging his own business I presume). I can give you a list of competent tuners who are familiar with these cars.
Dave Dalke deals with them the most, if for some reason he does not want to do it I suggest Rick at Amazon Racing, Jeff at Precision Autosports or Mike at Dayton performance. All of these people are competent in tuning an automatic and will treat you fairly.
Alan
Right on alan, once again you are on top of every question i may have ridiculous or not, now for a mail order tune would i need the xcal tuner? should i invest in an SCT? for the 3800stall,373gears?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Right on alan, once again you are on top of every question i may have ridiculous or not, now for a mail order tune would i need the xcal tuner? should i invest in an SCT? for the 3800stall,373gears?
You could get a chip as well, that is probably the cheapest solution. I try to avoid SCT but that is me. I bought a Quarter Horse, Binary Editor and the Definition file for my processor so that I can do what I want to do myself. That certainly isn't for everyone. I would suggest calling the tuner you will be using and get their opinion.
Alan

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My tuner (Don Lasota @ Lasotaracing) is SCT exclusive. I chose him due to his willingness to deal with my Frankenstein and offers great customer tech support just like Alan does with transmissions and parts. The other reason I chose him is because he co-wrote the prp (pro racer package) handbook. That speaks volumes for me, but ultimately if you've got the cash a proper dyno tune is the way to go, but IMO it seems that the world is starting to accept remote tuning which is basically what Don does. Upload a tune into your xcal2 or xcal3, upload the tune from your device to your EEC/PCM, drive, datalog, email, retune, re-log, email, repeat until 100% or customer becomes 100% satisfied. I like that. My local dyno guy tried to tell me that if I wasn't satisfied with my dyno tune's driveablity on the street that I would have to pay for more dyno time and labor and down tune my car for less performance on the street. For me that's unacceptable.

Just my $0.02. Having been through the whole tuning brickabrack resently.

Out of curiosity what converter are you using? Brand, specs, approx stall range, etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I will update folks to what is in my car..

03 Explorer 4.6,,, All stock

Dirtydog transmission,, Built for JamesD then I bought it still unused.. I know nothing of this tranny other then it has a deep pan and the forced fluid mod..

RevMax
converter with a 3300 stall,, I was broke at the time but seems to be working out

The tranny cooler lines bypass the radiator and go into a 45,000 BTU from robstireandauto.com ....

I went with Don Lasota @ Lasotaracing for the tune but I must have messed up the serial number as it wont load to the xcal2.. He told me he would be gone this weekend so I will have to wait for a updated tune....

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That trans is built very well, It doesn't have any 300m parts but just the fact that it was built with a late model core, has added frictions and proper valvebody confiuration makes a difference. It would handle a supercharger.
Alan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts