TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so it begins...my bird is doing something I remember oh so well...not as badly, but it's happening.

I get in the car, I turn the key to start it, and there is a pause before anything hapens. It seems to be right at about four seconds.

I noticed a direct connection to weather or not the check guages light turns on when I turn the key on. On occasion, I will turn the key on and the check guages light will flicker a bit.

But when it has a delay in starting it goes like this, turn the key on, the check guages light is illuminated. Turn the key to start the car, and the check guages light goes out, completely, is NOT illuminated, for count one two three four seconds, then the check guages light illuminates, and the car starts about one second later.

Other times it fires right up, and the check guages light does not flicker or turn off when the key is turned to the start position.

It does this at any and all hours of the day, and seems to do it 85% of the time.

I am thinking either bad crank sensor, or corroded wire harness leading to the crank sensor, or bad connector on the wire harness leading to the crank sensor. IIRC, this was what turned out to be the issue my old 95 bird had, that Chris_Murder found once he owned the car for a while.

There are no codes.

I have a new in the box crank sensor that I purchased two years ago and never installed, and I can get a ford/motorcraft wire harness repair kit for the crank position sensor connector.

Never changed it because it looks like I'll have to move or remove the AC compressor to get to it.

Thoughts?

NO other issues, car runs great and fires right up once it decides it feels like it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Id be looking towards the ignition switch / starter circuit wiring or battery cables .. it powers the EEC and kills most everything else when you put your key to the start position to provide maximum power to the starter relay / starter motor. The crank sensor doesnt actually pick up anything until the engine starts cranking - the crank sensor would NOT be a reason for your starter to not turn over, it just provides the timing for the engine to spark / fuel. You will not get a check engine light for a no start condition - Check engine light has more to do with sensor / circuit continuity and emissions diagnosis.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...How about corrosion within the battery cables themselves...they are factory cables and most likely original. The car is from Sacramento, my 95 was originally from Rohnert Park/Cotati/Novato area, and it turned out that the battery cables, and other wiring in the car was green with corrosion, probably from salt air, no rust on the rest of the car, just crusty green cables that looked fine due to insulation hiding the problem. Now, Sacramento = no salt air, but who knows where the car has been, plus it's just plain OLD.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Yeah thats what I said in the first line. :tongue:

Could be the corrosion, need to do a voltage drop test on the circuit to verify.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've seen this behavior before and what it turned out to be is corrosion on the solenoid contacts - NOT the fender mounted solenoid, but the bendix solenoid on the starter. When the key was turned to 'Start' position, there would be a delay before the starter actually engaged. Colder weather would make the problem worse.

If that's the way yours is acting, more than likely that is the problem. If you have a starter to swap in, do that and see if the problem disappears.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Can the contacts be cleaned to provide a better connection?
I suppose, but you still have to take the starter off to take it all apart.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The 95 I bought from you is having severe electrical gremlins again however with it far from me I can no longer maintain it. Once my mother and her husband decide they are tired of throwing money at it blindly I'll probably take possession of it again and finish it right.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's it doing now? Looks like the positive battery cable is no longer available from ford/none left...the negative, however, while also obsolete, is very much available. I am going to start there, and also replace the crankshaft sensor, and if the wiring has issues, I will replace that as well. Gonna pull the starter and clean up all connections and re-install. Hopefully it fixes things.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
What's it doing now?
High pitched electrical beeping from the passenger side glove box/kick panel area, like an alarm. It drains the battery. They don't know what's causing it.

I haven't looked at it yet since frankly I have no ambition to waste my time and gas to give my professional opinion only to be told that they'd rather take it to the dealer and pay for a second opinion (nevermind that I'm an Assistant Manager at a repair shop) it's like a big slap in the face, they waste my time asking me to diagnose their BS problems for free and I offer to fix it for the for my discounted COST on parts (no labor) and then they turn around turn me down, pay the dealer $90 to tell them the same thing, and after getting a qoute from the dealer to repair it (which they always find to be too expensive) will they come crawling back to me begging for me to do the work. At that point I refuse to based on principle.

Both window motors are damaged and the windows no longer stay rolled up, causing the interior to suffer the desert dirt consequences.

It needs my attention be I won't give it any until the current owner gives family respect where it is due.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, that's messed up. How would that even happen with the windows? The regulators in these cars seem pretty straight forward simple and above all, durable...at least it's not a rainey, wet place, the interior would REALLY suffer at that point.

Also, doesn't the airbag module beep if the airbag light in the dash is disconnected or burned out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts