TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaned my new Five Hundred to my father in law today to run to the store. He called 30 minutes later to say he ran off the road and rolled it multiple times (he is fine not a scratch on him). I must say I am incredibly impressed with how it held up. There is absolutely no deformation of the passenger cabin and all 4 doors still open and close. I'll post up some photos after I get by the impound yard...in the mean time it's time to start searching for another one :bawling: :bawling:

·
Super Moderator
11,872 Posts
At least it wasn't the Bird!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Wow, that is impressive that the body wasn't damaged or didn't flex so much that all the doors still open after tumbling. Glad your father in law is ok. Shouldn't be to hard to find another five hundred.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that is impressive that the body wasn't damaged or didn't flex so much that all the doors still open after tumbling. Glad your father in law is ok. Shouldn't be to hard to find another five hundred.

It was pretty neat. All the front end was smashed and the rear axle was torqued at a 45 but the cabin looked normal except for the side curtain airbags and the sunroof that exploded...the is actually a piece of a tree that came through the sunroof and wedged between the roof and the headliner.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most important thing is that he is ok.

Darrin
Absolutely and after seeing how it took the hit I won't hesitate to buy another one to transport my wife and kids around in

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
From what I have seen in person, Fords hold up pretty good in general to some serious bashing. Thats why I first bought a bird. It has a solid passenger compartment

Darrin

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Just curious, what happened that caused him to go off the road?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thats what you get when you use volvo engineering.
Glad to hear hes ok!
wait till this summer and buy a taurus!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, what happened that caused him to go off the road?
He swerved because a car coming the other direction drifted into his lane. At that point he overcorrected and went over the side of a 20' high embankment and rolled about 100'

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Udated with pics

I went by the impound yard today and took a few photos. When looking at these bear in mind the car rolled 3 times down a 20 foot embankment. The last photo I am calling "the hand of God" because it's a tree branch that shattered the sunroom and ebedded itself between the headliner and the roof rather than in my father-inlaw's head

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
yikes Im glad hes ok and of course it held up, its a FORD. They might have wiring issues but they will take a hell of a beating.My friend rolled his explorer at 70 mph on the highway and walked away with out a scratch on him. I swear by how well these things hold up. Good luck on your next one!

p.s. make sure your insurance company totals it! not try and repair it. It will never be the same.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
p.s. make sure your insurance company totals it! not try and repair it. It will never be the same.
Looking at those pictures, I have no doubt it's totaled. You're looking at quite a few body panels that will need replaced, bags are blown, new moonroof/headliner, unibody/frame damage, plus more stuff that I'm sure we can't see.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at those pictures, I have no doubt it's totaled. You're looking at quite a few body panels that will need replaced, bags are blown, new moonroof/headliner, unibody/frame damage, plus more stuff that I'm sure we can't see.
Absolutely. The adjuster is already starting the total loss paperwork without even seeing it first. They said I should have a check within 3 days

1 - 16 of 16 Posts