TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from dropping off some car parts and the tranny starts mal-functioning/delayed shifts....soon enough through the 55 zone i hear little pieces of metal having a free-for-all inside my bell housing, it got worse but I was able to get home doing 2k rpm @ 15 mph....well at least I have an excuse to start my T-45 swap :D

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yea they are nice, but It's going to be a pita to get that T-45 in there with all the mods required....

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
With us driving, I don't think you can call that Suicide, lol.

Malicious Homicide, maybe...

:D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
XD glad mine didn't go that hard. T/C just locks up on idle and stalls the engine. either that or the main clutches. sure wish i could get my hands on a t45. they should have shipped these cars with them as an option -_- big mistake on fords part.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
XD glad mine didn't go that hard. T/C just locks up on idle and stalls the engine. either that or the main clutches. sure wish i could get my hands on a t45. they should have shipped these cars with them as an option -_- big mistake on fords part.
I don't think ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, ovnce refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
dont get me wrong, i enjoy the 4r70w much better then my old AOD, but i would much rather have direct control with a manual. to each his own "shrug".
im very surprised at how long these things actually last, mine is still going i suppose, as long as i give it about 3k RPM when i drop it in gear :p.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well seeing as I just picked up my 91 Sport 5.0 with AOD tranny up out of the shop I can feel your pain.I just paid $1521.86 to have it rebuilt on a car I paid 1k for.I owned it for 1 wk before the tranny went out.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,629 Posts
I don't think ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, ovnce refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan
Not to mention The vast majority of the people buying these cars new weren't exactly the type that enjoys banging through gears.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
& I'm not ready to call this a suicide... MIGHTY suspicious looking stuff here:

Car: 1995 Cougar XR-7
Engine: 4.6L V8 2V

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy way to get stereotypical lol.
I didn't beat it that bad, I always checked it regularly. I never did any stupid crazy stuff with it. Mostly lack of regular maintenance and fluid flushes....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Boy way to get stereotypical lol.....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.
TYPICAL teenager... all Mom & Dads fault - Hell I tore mine up at 54 but at least I stood up & took the rap~!

& it's VAHHHHH Beach.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I tore up a couple of my parent's vehicles when I was 18. Mom's fault, totally..... :evil3: :gapteeth:

And true, not all kids tear stuff up... I just don't know many...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In other words, "Get off mah lawn, you darn kids!"

Believe it or not, not all teenagers are idiots that break things. :rolleyes:
Thank's Nitemare. I'd prefer not to be called a "kid" that was 5 years ago. Some adults don't abuse their things, like me. I won't say I've never gunned it a few times, but I take great care of my car and it's components. I didn't make this post to discuss the difference between kids, teenagers, or adults. It's for discussing transmissions. So pass the immaturity and move on....

I'm dropping my transmission in the next few days and I'm going to have a peek inside to see what exactly came loose and started tearing things up. Currently looking at a TR-3650 to go in my 4R70W's place. Now to find one for a decent price that won't break the bank.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
People kill me wanting to do a manual transmission on a budget. Go buy a late model 4r70w, convert it to you application, put a better converter in it and it will be faster than a 5spd and just as fun t drive.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
I don't think Ford could have chosen a better transmission for this car then the one they did, once refined it is a really good unit. Manual transmissions are fun, but they are more driver sensitive. If I wanted to I could break a brand new manual within a couple days. To Ford that is called liability. The auto isn't so sensitive and can be just as much fun to drive with a good stall and the correct calibration.
Alan
:zwthstpd:

haha yea they are nice, but It's going to be a pita to get that T-45 in there with all the mods required....
Then get a properly built 4R70W and a decent TC and be done with it. You will spend more and need more work to do a T-45 swap.

Boy way to get stereotypical lol.
I didn't beat it that bad, I always checked it regularly. I never did any stupid crazy stuff with it. Mostly lack of regular maintenance and fluid flushes....it was rebuilt once but my parents usually go for the cheapest price, not the best fix. So I would say that was the cause.
Do you realize how contradictory that statement is?

... Some adults don't abuse their things, like me. I won't say I've never gunned it a few times, but I take great care of my car and it's components ...

I'm dropping my transmission in the next few days and I'm going to have a peek inside to see what exactly came loose and started tearing things up. Currently looking at a TR-3650 to go in my 4R70W's place. Now to find one for a decent price that won't break the bank.
... goodbye 4R70W i'm yanking that puppy and putting something else in....on my parents dime lol.
I'd have to say, it sounds more like your parents take the "great care of [your] car and its components". If you're not putting the money into the car then it isn't really even yours - not that this is a bad thing - just don't take your parents for granted. They do the best for you that they can.

People kill me wanting to do a manual transmission on a budget. Go buy a late model 4r70w, convert it to you application, put a better converter in it and it will be faster than a 5spd and just as fun to drive.
Alan
Once again ... :zwthstpd:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Just so everyone knows. I beat my vehicles like an ugly redheaded step child, I expect breakage and sometimes remain surprised at how long certain things take what I do. Not that it really matters because I know who is going to be fixing my car and who is going to be paying for it....ME!
Alan

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I agree Dirty Dog, excellent choice. Growing up when autos had 2 or 3 speeds and manuals 3 or 4, and overdrive being something you saw in a 51 Ford ... the guys these days don't really appreciate a good automatic ... with OD ... and a lock up TC no less!

Manual is fun at times, but I often grew tired of them sitting in hours long lines leading into or out of a speedway or in city driving. Man, that '65 GTO or '69 Dart 340 Swinger or the '67 Chevelle SS were fun cars then, but when I think how much better it would have been to have a firm shifting 4 spd auto with OD to ease the RPM with those 4.10s, 3.73s or 3.91s ... I'ld have jumped on it. As it was, Muncie or New Process 4 spds had 4 gears, closer ratios, and 1:1 high.

Never busted a rear gear or spit a driveshaft with new U-joints with an auto, tore up enough stuff with the 4 spds though ... sometimes it was the clutch itself or a busted synchro ring after a fast 2-3 shift, etc. What's really cool is seeing a flywheel explode and tear damn near evertything off the firewall. I even converted the Dart in '73 using an A-727 trans from a '72 Duster 340. Sold the 4 spd parts to some guy.

And even a 21 year old tires of rowing gears through town with his main co-pilot sitting close.

Year, manuals .... never miss them when power is at hand. 5 Spd is OK on a bike or in the Forester ...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts