TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight out of the front of my house. The cops say that as a bone stock 1997 Honda Accord, I'll probably get it back in a day or two. We'll see.

I'd rather not buy another commuter car but if it doesn't show up in the next week, I might have to suck it up and buy myself a stupid Prius (I have a long commute).

-g

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Buy a bike, much better on gas and way more fun than a dumb a$$ prius!
I doubt the bike is "much" better on gas. Have you ever driven in California during commute times?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm sure its not much worse than a Chicago rush hour, plus have you ever seen the way these guys pass on bikes?!?! In between cars, on the shoulder, under semis ( well maybe not under semis) You're right though probably not much better on gas but a hell of a lot more fun than a Prius. Plus when the battery goes on the Prius your talking bouko bucks to replace it!

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
That blows big time. Those Accords are hot unfortunately, I've had both a 95 and 97, neither one of them ever got touched by evil hands. I pray all goes well in the end for you brother!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Hate to hear that but IMO Corolla>Prius as commuter car.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You know, they have American Hybrids and electric cars. Check those out. GM is desperate to sell those Volts. I heard the rebate just went up on those.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news.
I reported my car stolen at 7.30AM today.
At 7.30PM today, I received a call from the San Mateo PD (~20 mi south from SF) that
25 minutes later, I picked up my car from the police officer in a surprisingly OK neighborhood.
- My car was perfectly intact: no busted windows or damage to the steering column
- Nothing was missing: the BT handsfree setup I just installed last weekend, the earthquake kit I left in the trunk, the Tolltag in the arm rest, or even the coins I left in the car.
- The only "bad" things I found was a hint of smoke in the car (some slight ash on the passenger side door) and the seat setup at gangsta lean recline level. Nothing rolling down the windows on the hwy for a few mins didn't fix.

- Also, the guy who called in my car to the PD apparently had HIS Honda (a 2001 CRV) stolen after mine. The officer suspects the thief has a Honda skeleton key and just needed to run some errands.

All in all, a very odd affair (from what I remember of the odometer/gas level, he really only drove down to San Mateo -- maybe $4 worth of gas).

Nevertheless, I've learned my lesson. I pulled the ignition wire after parking tonight and will pick up a club tomorrow morning. Even if the club isn't effective as an anti-theft device, it's annoying enough that the punk will hopefully just move onto the next Honda parked on my street the next time he/she needs a ride home.

-g

PS. I've thought about the Volt but Priuses are just so damn common that a 2yr old one in the Bay Area with low miles can be had for a reasonable price ($15-20K).

A more fun car to drive like a Fit or a Mazda 3 also crossed my mind but for as much as I drive (100mi daily commute), buying a "washing machine" instead of a fun car just makes more sense. A little part of me almost died though when I thought about how boring the Prius is to drive though; I guess this is how my friends feel when they bought their first minivan and realized they were adults.

I have the S4 (which the wife drives) for a nice car and I have the tbird for something that's purely for fun (once I put the engine+trans back into it).

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Good news. I bet the club would work against this thief just not the pros, but then again the pros will get your car no matter what.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Screw a Prius, get a Fiesta. Those things are great on gas, actually move, and it's a Ford!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Glad to hear the car was returned so promptly! I wish I could just up and gank somebody's car and run some errands. Save me money on gas!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear the car was returned so promptly! I wish I could just up and gank somebody's car and run some errands. Save me money on gas!
1) Yes, it'd be just like GTA.

2) You could, apparently, with a Honda skeleton key.

3) I'm not going to go with a Bike as I have a wish to live to see retirement. I can afford to wrap myself with metal vs. the other way around.

4) The policeman suggested that instead of a club, I should get a pedal lock as that prevents the criminal from depressing the brake and shifting the car into drive. It's enough of an inconvenience that he'll just move on to the next Honda.

Interestingly enough, the second pic on the Amazon listing for said item shows a 94-97 Honda Accord being locked up...
http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Pedal-Steering-Wheel-Lock/dp/B000JIND4S

5) My 97 Honda Accord SE is a "special edition" but it is by no means special. I doubt a "pro" would target my car as they are a dime a dozen and worth $3.5-4K on it's best day. A professional, if they were stealing the car for parts or for order, would target more valuable or more rare cars. Given their popularity, parts for this generation of Hondas are cheap. Not Ford Tbird dirt cheap but definitely cheaper than anything European or Japanese/Luxury (read: Lexus).

6) I did find one item missing: an envelope of coupons to Harbor Freight and Autozone I leave in the driver's side door. Apparently, my thief is a fellow coupon clipper
-g

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Lexus is still just toyota junk, nothing special just a lot more computers.

My pitbull is going to be coming home on july 5th, its just a puppy, but will grow up to be a great gaurd/ junkyard dog.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts