TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a fairly typical night until I tried to go home from a house I hadn't been to before in a neighborhood I've only been in during the day maybe one other time. It was just minutes past 10:00 pm and I began to take a right turn. There was no other soul around and I was focused on the light from the street lamp as it lit up what I thought was the road I was turning onto. As I began to straiten the wheels all of a sudden my front end drops several feet.

I almost knew instantly that what I thought was a road was actually a ditch. I tried to quickly accelerate but the car was already stuck in an odd predicament. Regardless of the mud caused by the recent rain the reason why my drive wheel was spinning is because it was a few inches off the ground. Thankfully my car has a hitch because it's the reason my rear bumper was barely scratched and nothing was damaged.

I feel stupid but from my vantage point the storm drains were virtually invisible. Not only are the tops cut off at an angle but they are spaced apart just as far as the wheels are. Street lamps are typically 15 feet from the main road but this one was more like 50 feet away and because of the way the storm drains are there was no shadow. While the roads are paved they look more like dirt and without a curb of any kind you cannot tell where the road ends or begins.

So, there I was with my rear end held up by the hitch just enough for only the driver's rear tire up off the ground. The first car to drive by stops and ask if they could help but they didn't have any rope or chains but at least they stopped and asked. The next few cars could car less but then again it looked as if I was just parked and intentionally just sitting there. I called my friend but he didn't have anything to pull me out either and my parents were asleep.

While on the phone with my insurance's roadside assistance a sheriff's deputy pulls up. He was fairly considerate as I tried to deal with the phone conversation on this windy night. It was decided that he'd call the state police just in case I needed a claim report if there is any damage. While waiting for the tow truck my friend pulled up and I sat in his SUV as more deputies showed up. Must have been a slow night around Tuscola.

The state trooper showed up and the deputies left before the tow truck arrived and he was perhaps the nicest trooper I have ever met. We had to wait until I was towed out of the ditch to see if there was any damage before I could get a claim report. It didn't take very long for the tow truck to arrive but it had been at least an hour since the failed turn. It was too muddy for just a short tow to get me out so the wrecker had to get me completely onto the road.

I used my spotlight (which had raised the deputies' suspicion earlier but I did use to be a pizza delivery guy) and saw little to no damage. There were a couple of scratches on the left side of the rear bumper but other than mud on the hitch and muffler tips there wasn't anything messed up. Since there was no noticeable damage there was no need for a claim report so the trooper left. I guess I have the best worst luck anyone could have in this world.

Things weren't as rosy as I thought when I began to drive away because the alignment was noticeably way off. I have to keep the wheel at about 2 o'clock to go strait and there's a bit of floating and squealing going on randomly as I made my way to the nearest gas station. My toe alignment wasn't that great before the incident but I guess either the sudden drop of the tugging from the wrecker must have pulled my camber way off. I couldn't see much wrong before getting some much needed fuel but with all the mud and with the car on the ground there wasn't much to see.

I kept my speed to a minimum and took the less traveled route as I made my way toward my parent's house in Abilene. I needed to exchange my loose change for some quarters to use at a self car wash so I pulled into another 7/11 near a car wash. I had a nice conversation with the cute blonde behind the counter because she related to my circumstance when she had gone off the road during the last ice storm. Like a dumbass I didn't bother to ask her for her name and number and I tried to come right back but the nearest car wash was closed and apparently she was getting off work when I left. I ended up chatting with her coworker for a few minutes and maybe if I'm lucky I'll catch her at a good time later.

·
Administrator
8,006 Posts
That's too bad Randy!

Good to hear you're not hurt and the car didn't suffer any real damage.

Joe

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That's too bad Randy!

Good to hear you're not hurt and the car didn't suffer any real damage.

Joe
And nothing wrong with making time with the pretty cashier!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Photobucket on my phone is being super slow or glitchy but the pictures of the front end show quite a few deep scratches in the bumper cover that already needed replacing anyway. It even managed to scratch the crash bumper through the passenger "fog light" hole. The lip of the metal panel of the k-member that goes from one strut rod busing to the other is scratched and bent up a little just to the left of where the oil is supposed to drain from during oil filter changes. It's a good thing I didn't install the front mask, fog lights, or mud flaps yet because they would been the real victims. I'm sure I can bend and paint that area of the k-member and this makes one step closer to wanting to buy a tubular one. :grin2:

Once I pulled the wheel off it was obvious that the only thing off was the toe. I had the steering wheel centered and the passenger wheel looked strait but that other side was waaay off. I must have adjusted it by at least an inch and a half with almost just as much thread left to spare. The amazing thing is that since this accident the steering has been less hard than it has been in years. Earlier that day the sound from the pump had also decreased by several magnitudes of db for no apparent reason. Serendipitous for sure.

I went back and talked to that girl again and it turns out she's gay. :rolleyes: That's 2 girls in a row that I've asked out within the last month or 2 that have happened to be lesbians. I guess these girls aren't afraid to talk to me for some reason.

Finally, here are the pics and apparently I missed a spot with the sprayer;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts