TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Virginia Motorsports Park dragway had their Friday night Street Wars event. I decided to compete.

Drained my fuel tank of the 93 octane. Filled with E85, loaded the tune with an extra 4° of timing added globally, and away I went. Arrived at the park with about 5/8 of a tank.

Race weight, including me, was 3,840 with back and passenger seats removed. Temp was around 65° and pressure was 30.15 inHg with around 70% humidity.

I started running slow, like 15.06 @ 91.69 MPH slow. Major WTF moment. I got a rich code on the way there since I still had about 2 gallons of 93 in it when I filled with E85...oops. So I figured it was running too rich. Leaned the WOT mixture out 2%, ran even slower. Started running high 15.1x's. Oops. Let's enrich it +2% for S&G's. Same deal.

Set the mixture back, ran low 15.1x's. Then I gave it more timing on the 2-4K and 4-8K range. Started running even faster, a few in the 15.03-15.06 range. Sweet. Added all the timing I could, lined up next to a ricer, and ran a 14.971 @ 91.58 mph. I beat him my a whopping 3 thousandths of a second. lol

However, I did pretty good despite trapping 3 MPH slower. So, best time slip tonight was:

R/T: .387
60': 2.163
330: 6.244
1/8: 9.605
MPH: 73.00
1000: 12.51

14.971 @ 91.58 MPH

From a quick calculation based on ET and weight and MPH and weight respectively, power output tonight was anywhere from 226 to 242 hp at the crank. If I had the better torque converter and my drag radials, I would have been running 14.6's tonight based on power and weight.

Overall, not a bad night. My new street tires hook really well after a brief burnout. I think my motor is one of those motors that likes a lot of timing on E85. I think I may have been able to go faster if my handheld would have let me add more timing.

·
Super Moderator
12,413 Posts
Congrats Mike! Just wait 'till you get the TF heads on it!

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! It's really going to rip the pavement with those new heads and TC when you get it. I went to the 1/8th for the first time tonight my mods are only a little behinds yours you should check it out!
You're actually pretty close, if not, exceeding what I have done. Your cams are more than likely better than a set of stock PI's, like mine.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You're actually pretty close, if not, exceeding what I have done. Your cams are more than likely better than a set of stock PI's, like mine.
Yeah I think those cams are helping me pull that higher end mph. That 14.5 you've got is nice. Didn't you go from 14.7 to 14.5 with e85 and tune? I've been thinking about running it as my next upgrade. Or if I could afford a set of GM's LTs...

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think those cams are helping me pull that higher end mph. That 14.5 you've got is nice. Didn't you go from 14.7 to 14.5 with e85 and tune? I've been thinking about running it as my next upgrade. Or if I could afford a set of GM's LTs...
Yeah, pretty much. I went to the bigger MAF, bigger injectors, E85, and wide band tune for it. Both runs were made in mine shaft air (high atmospheric pressure and low temp). I consistently picked up 2-3 MPH over 93 octane E10. On a lower compression motor like mine, E85 is good for 10-20 crank hp. I imagine the gains will be higher with more compression. Part of my reason to go with the Trick Flows with the smaller combustion chambers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts