TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 93 XR7 in my local junkyard that has basically had the top pulled off the motor. The upper and lower intakes are missing and it's raining in the valley. I drive a 'Bird so I'm not real fluent on Cougars... Were all of the XR7s supercharged? How do I tell if it's a 3.8 SC block with all the sc plumbing gone or a na 3.8? The VIN maybe? If it is a SC block should I grab it if it's cheap and pray it hasn't been raining in it very long? I want it for a rebuild project anyways...

·
Registered
825 Posts
only 89/90 were sc'ed

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn.... thought maybe I'd stumbled on a deal. Didn't get lucky this time I guess.

Was the sc available on Cougar at all other than those years? I know the SC lasted until '95.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Supercharged = '89 - '90 ONLY

Although it would make a really COOL Phantam to build a '91 - '95 supercharged XR-7.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nope the SC was only available on the 89 & 90 XR7 all 8,592 of 'em. We are the few the proud the Cougar Owners!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Phantom

The supercharged XR-7's were only produced in '89 & '90, which is why building a '91 - '95 supercharged XR-7, would make it a PHANTOM! I'll explain again what a phantom is.

A Phantom is a car that never actually came of the assembly line, but looks like it could have. Kevin Marti's '69 Eliminator Convertible is a Phantom. All Eliminators were hard tops, but if you look at his car, you would not be able to tell that it wasn't a factory job. The Shinoda BOSS Mustang is also a Phantom. You sure can't tell that it wasn't a production car. A '91 - '95 supercharged XR-7 would also be a PHANTOM, because the car was never actually produced (except in Mexico).

BTW: I have owned an ' 89 XR-7 since it was new.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dude your about 8 years too late!

I know a Ford designer who for his son bought a 94 Cougar, and took the 94 SC motor and dropped it in at the factory. So tecnicaly this is the only factory 94 Supercharged XR7 in existance.

Either way its DAMN COOL and GET 'ER DONE!

·
Registered
437 Posts
'68 Cougar

My '68 Cougar had a 390GT engine. 335 hp Stock! I can only Dream of that kinda dyno HP!

68COUGAR
_________

·
Registered
76 Posts
Supposedly, the Mexican Cougars could get the SC engine at least through '92. I have never seen substantiated proof of this though. The SC block should have a "SC" cast into the back of the block by the rear cam plug. There are several other markings as well on the block, but I cannot remember where they are off the top of my head.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Phantom Supercharged '97 XR-7 30th. Anniversary

At the MN-12 Nationals there was a guy who was building a Phantom supercharged '97 XR-7 Anniversary Special. He was using an '89 XR-7. He had all the '97 Anniversary interior (including Dash) installed in the car. It also had the '97 front clip on the car. The back half of the car was still '89 at the time of the Nats. When the transformation is complete, he going to have one of the COOLEST supercharged XR-7's on the Planet! Now that's the correct way to build a Sleeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately none of my pics of the car, turned out. I'm hoping to get some pics of the car, from some of the other Cougar Guys at the nats.

68COUGAR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts