TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car all of the sudden starting having cooling issues. When my rad took a dump I replaced it with a used one and it seemed all good. It's been chugging galls of antifreeze, meaning that I do not know were the hell the AF is going. Then a couple of days back, it started overheating like a mofo. Yesterday I replaced the thermostat yesterday and the needle does not go above the "O" which is good but still the AF is going I do not know were. So I stopped using AF and I've been just using water.

First the heater POS core and now this crap. Any ideas?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, there isn't much place that the AF can go. It can either be leaking into the cylinder's and evaporating from a broken head gasket, but then you would also know from the symptoms of that. From under the hood and under your car, you have NO visible leak's of AF. How are your freeze plugs, have you looked to see if they could be possibly leaking AF?

Another question I just though of, though you said this is an ongoing problem, but did you air out the bubbles in your coolant system when you did the thermostat and added coolant?

Water can be an substitute for a temporary amount of time. Once you do find the problem and the system holds pressure, then I would switch over to AF, for the engines protection at state! I never really put water in my radiator, when I did, I'd get home as soon as I could and do a flush with all new AF fluid. Then again, I take care of my car like a baby.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Using just water is BAD! Flash rusting will occur almost immediatley, quality anti-freeze has rust inhibitors that you need to keep your water pump and radiator clean. Running water only will lead to premature wear and failure.

As far as your overheating, I would also suggest making sure that the system is properly bled. If you have the 3.8, they are of course notorious for head gasket problems, and the 4.6 is notorious for intake problems. Either one could cause the loss of fluid through the tailpipe.

I would start by having the system properly bled and pressure tested. I would also have the coolant checked for the presence of hydrocarbons, which will certainly indicate a blown headgasket/cracked cylinder head.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the damn intake manifold again. This will be the 5th time.. I am done with this POS.... Problem after problem.. Damn I am so mad right now!!!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
I snapped mine by doing redline shifts; the torque on the alternator from the shifts cracked the manifold.

I leave the passenger side bolt out of the upper bracket, and it cuts the torque applied to the manifold.

I don't think it can break the lower bolts; I hope I never find out. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's the damn intake manifold again. This will be the 5th time.. I am done with this POS.... Problem after problem.. Damn I am so mad right now!!!:mad:
Wait, what the plastic alternator/water passage cracked four times before this?

I snapped mine by doing redline shifts; the torque on the alternator from the shifts cracked the manifold. :)
Yeah that's the standard problem we all have

I leave the passenger side bolt out of the upper bracket, and it cuts the torque applied to the manifold.:)
Or you could get the two piece manifold...

I don't think it can break the lower bolts; I hope I never find out. :)
there are guys around this forum that only run the bottom bolts because they can't find the proper bracket, I would never but those are two very serious bolts

·
Registered
219 Posts
interesting , so the intakes on the 4.6's crack up front huh ??? mine has a small issue simialar to this but nowhere near as bad . drive it daily in high heat and humidity with no issues . bled it out , but occasionally , especially after being a little silly , some will dissapear .

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I 96-98 GT intake manifold should work on my 96 4.6, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
They'll work, although they're NPI. You're putting on the updated version with the aluminum crossover, right?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They'll work, although they're NPI. You're putting on the updated version with the aluminum crossover, right?

Yeah! Do not need or want a PI intake...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I 96-98 GT intake manifold should work on my 96 4.6, right?
If I find a '96-'98 Mustang GT in a junkyard, what is the chances it's going to have an updated composite manifold with the aluminum crossover on it? I was under the impression those cars probably still had that all-composite intake manifold on them. I have a Dorman intake on my '97 T-Bird and want to replace it with a Ford intake. I'm still debating whether or not to upgrade to PI intake & heads or not, but I'm leaning towards a non-PI intake.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
there are guys around this forum that only run the bottom bolts because they can't find the proper bracket, I would never but those are two very serious bolts

I have the aluminum x-over intake and the correct alt. bracket but still don't use the top 2 bolts. Been running just the bottom 2 for years and has never come loose.

Not tryin to argue, just saying.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I changed the intake and to my surprise two injectors (the o-rings and the metal clip) they were damaged. Sobieski decided to replace them. Got them at the yard and now the car is shaking like a mofo!! I checked that the injectors weren't burned or anything. The weird thing is, is that it's not a constant shaking, comes and goes! Decided to use seafoam and see if that would clear them up! If it doesn't work I might need to get new injectors uh?!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the voltage on all 8 and the range are good! I dud find a plug with some antifreeze on though! So I cleaned it up! So either one of the injectors that I bough are dirty or the spark plugs need to be changed!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Does this mean that all that missing coolant has been going into the crankcase and circulated through the motor ?

David

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have the aluminum x-over intake and the correct alt. bracket but still don't use the top 2 bolts. Been running just the bottom 2 for years and has never come loose.

Not tryin to argue, just saying.
I just did the intake on mine with the aluminum crossover. Obviously the bracket wont work, but I fabbed the bracket to only hold on the left upper bolt. Works for me.

........ car is shaking like a mofo!!......
Did it do this before? All the injectors are junkyard ones or just the ones that you said to be bad? Explain the 'shaking like a mofo' a little more.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does this mean that all that missing coolant has been going into the crankcase and circulated through the motor ?

David

No David. The coolant was leaking from the front (were the thermostat is) But apparently it was leaking from behind too. I checked the old intake and I do not see any cracks, however the gaskets on two parts of the intake are useless..

It had a miss fire in cylinder #4. The plugged was wet like a....... So I just changed the spark plug after I cleaned it up. I will keep an eye on #4 in the future..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No David. The coolant was leaking from the front (were the thermostat is) But apparently it was leaking from behind too. I checked the old intake and I do not see any cracks, however the gaskets on two parts of the intake are useless..

It had a miss fire in cylinder #4. The plugged was wet like a....... So I just changed the spark plug after I cleaned it up. I will keep an eye on #4 in the future..
Good deal..that would suck to trash the motor after all the work you've done on the turbo system.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts