TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some major flooding and rainstorms here in Florida yesterday and I had to drive for some distance in a REALLY bad storm with flooded roads yesterday which brings me to my dilemma........3/4 way home (10-12 miles in flooding) my 3.8 Cougar quits at a light........I put in park and try restart.....it takes after a few times and sputters a lot.......stalls when put in gear......eventually get her rolling but with little power and a lot of missing......she then clears up and drives the remaining 2 miles just ok. Park her up and come out this morning........starts first turn and idles fine.........stalls when put in gear........after a few stalls like this I keep rpms at 2k with foot on brake and shift into R and get her out of the parking spot and rolling........she misses and spits for a 1/2 mile and "seems" to run just fine for 10-12 miles. Park her and get some coffee for 30 mins......come back out. restart and go on my way.....all seems normal until I step on the gas to kickdown a gear and she then bucks/misses and almost quits......shift to 2nd and back waaay off the gas and she picks up and drives fairly normal to work........now wondering what the drive home will be like.......I'm thinking water sprayed up into tranny connector plug or maybe the crank sensor? Since both of these are at the bottom of the motor/tranny and fairly exposed........any ideas??? Thanks in advance...

(posted in other sections also)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Master.......never noticed the tach.......if it moves then crank sensor is sending a signal? I was driving a bit aggressive (not fast) and went thru a few deeper puddles which may have sprayed some water up around the motor someplace. She always started just fine and only stalled when put into gear........course she drove home fine yesterday..........just a squeaky pulley/belt today...

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Boy I could have said something on this one with a title like that.

I would vote for drying out too.
I hit a puddle and stalled for the first time in driving for 25 years. Car started but would hard miss every once in awhile. It will do it on really humid mornings sometime now. But it dried out and has been good. Mine is a 4.6 though. Plug wires are much different.
My speedometer stops occasionally now though.

Ok ok I have to.
I've been hankering for a wet connection........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update......all seems good now........I sprayed the crank sensor connection with WD 40 and then hit it and a few other elect connectors with a touch of spray on white lithium grease for future "splashes"......looks like it dried out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts