TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently experienced what I think are serious transmission issues. First there was a disengaging and re-engaging OD at highway speeds. Shortly after that I had no auto shift into 2nd but a manual 2nd shift was successful. Going into 3rd after that was mostly unsuccessful; it would stay for a few seconds and then lose it. I have a Ford shop manual and figured I might be able to check some sensors and connectors to do what I could before I took it to a shop. I figured the EPC would be a good place to start and so I finally managed to find the transmission harness connector, the 9 pin connector, and disconnect it. On doing so, I noticed the connector was dripping wet with transmission fluid. How big of a mess am I in?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The harness on my Cougars auto was full of transmission fluid as well. It was in perfect working order so I don't think it was causing any issues. The old 4r70w was pretty much a big grease ball when I took it out... lol I don't understand where all the oil came from because it wasn't dripping any oil on my garage floor.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I think your direct clutch pack is toasted. Hows your fluid look ? Nice and dark ? Suspended particles ? Smells burnt ?

You're in for a full rebuild so don't bother with the EPC / harness diagnostics ( no check engine light = no electrical component failure )

Ill let somebody else chime in with their .02

·
Super Moderator
11,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,121 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well that's somewhat good to hear; means I don't need to agonize and mutter to myself on the garage floor for hours for nothing. I kind of figured I would need a rebuild. Fluid is turning brown, has about 28-30K on it. I would be in over my head to try and fix anything transmission related, I think. From what I've heard there is a pretty good shop not too far from me but there are several hills and about 15 miles to get there. Another local shop and an AAMCO are also near me. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
8,210 Posts
From what I've heard there is a pretty good shop not too far from me but there are several hills and about 15 miles to get there. Another local shop and an AAMCO are also near me.
I'd get the car towed to the good shop you mentioned, too many horror stories out there about AAMCO.

Joe

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'd get the car towed to the good shop you mentioned, too many horror stories out there about AAMCO.

Joe
+1 on this.

Not just here, but other forums I'm on as well. AAMCO is not the place to go.

If you have AAA or know someone who does, get it towed to the transmission shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts