·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better to have a wet or dry nitrous system in my ougar

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Dry systems are much safer for low horsepower shots. I would worry about the NA 3.8l motor being able to take the stress of the nitrous though, Staying at about a 50 -75 setting should be ok, but no promises. You also may need to upgrade your fuel system, as the sotkc fuel system is marginal at best.

·
Registered
107 Posts
its all about waking puppies up huh mark? im still debating wether to get a 100 shot and a fuel pump or a nice set of rims.......

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
outside18 said:
its all about waking puppies up huh mark? im still debating wether to get a 100 shot and a fuel pump or a nice set of rims.......
go for the 100 shot and a fuel pump. it will be more fun.

Frank

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the nos

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
JoelBender said:
Dry systems are much safer for low horsepower shots. I would worry about the NA 3.8l motor being able to take the stress of the nitrous though, Staying at about a 50 -75 setting should be ok, but no promises. You also may need to upgrade your fuel system, as the sotkc fuel system is marginal at best.
is a 100 shot safe on a dry system?

Frank

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
100 hp is safe on a dry shot if you have a larger fuel pump. I know 1MTNCAT is running a 125 dry system on his cougar, and he's been doing it a long time. Your results may vary, but a larger fuel pump is a must, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a plus.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
fdawg97lx said:

is a 100 shot safe on a dry system?

Frank
Also note the one who said that has a 4.6L DOHC, it has a better track record than the 3.8L

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
GreenBird said:

Also note the one who said that has a 4.6L DOHC, it has a better track record than the 3.8L
yes, but i meant for myself cuz i plan to run a 100 shot also and i wanst sure if i should go with a dry or wet kit. i was leaning toward dry because it just seems a lot safer to me. i have a 4.6 SOHC by the way.

Frank

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
JoelBender said:
I know 1MTNCAT is running a 125 dry system on his cougar, and he's been doing it a long time.
Yeah, Joel's right. He's been using the system for roughly 5 years...on the factory stock longblock at that. Not to mention the benefit that he hits it right off the line.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think you guys are backwards for our cars you want a wet system a dry system well only flow nos into 1 cylinder a wet system well flow in with the gas!

maybe it was a honest mistake!

92 bird!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
sprchrgd1 said:
i think you guys are backwards for our cars you want a wet system a dry system well only flow nos into 1 cylinder a wet system well flow in with the gas!
Nope, dry all the way, upgrade your fuel system with it, and be done with it. Wet systems have a tendency to grenade the intake, air boxes and whatever else is in the way when the fuel puddles in the bottom of the intake. Just ask Joel on that one. It can be avoided by using a window switch, but that's no fun, everyone wants to use their nitrous for the hole-shot, and a dry system is the only way you can do it on our cars.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Rich,

I have no idea what you're talking about......

:D :D :D

That is the result of hitting the spray on a wet system too soon.

dry system well only flow nos into 1 cylinder a wet system well flow in with the gas!
I have no idea where this thought came from. a dry system flows into the intake, then just as the air that enters the motor, the nitrous spreads out pretty much evenly throughout the intake, and into each cylinder, if you had a 125hp dry shot and it went into 1 cylinder that cylinder would quickly find its way to the bottom of your oil pan.

A wet system mixes the fuel in with the nitrous in the intake, then the atomized spray travels through the intake and into the cylinders. Problem with that is that if the air is not traveling fast enough through the intake the fuel will settle (due to it being a liquid) into the lowest part of the intake, and of course the smallest spark will set it off, and boom, no more intake. to solve this problem the engines RPMs must be higher to give it sufficient air speed inside the motor to prevent the fuel from settling, which is why you cannot spray out of the hole.

Dry systems are great because you don't run the risk of fuel puddling in the intake, but the wet system is a bit safer once you are going down the track, as you are not relying on the fuel rail, and injectors, and fuel pressure, and pump (although the pump must still be sufficient in a wet system as well) to keep the motor from running lean and burning your plugs, and/pistons, piston rings up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wet's great on manifolds designed to flow a fuel/air mix. Ours, of course, aren't. Air by itself will happily make turns that the suspended fuel droplets can't, leading to lean cylinders, pooling, and the Dreaded Nitrous Chuff. For just about any EFI motor, your best bet is either a single nozzle dry, direct port wet, or an injector piggyback system.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Joel, I never get tired of seeing that picture:uppoint: I'm still waiting to see pics of your airbox explosion. You are the King of Kaboom!!!!!!!!

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
what fuel system components should be upgraded when installing a dry with a 75 or 100 shot. i know i need a high volume fuel pump and fuel preasure regulator but do i have to upgrade the injectors and fule rails also?

Frank

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
A 75 shot wouldn't require an upgrade, but if you want to go with a 100 shot, I'd suggest at the least, and better fuel pump and Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. You don't need bigger fuel rails until you make a lot of HP. 24lb injectors would be a safe bet as well, but with the AFPR, you can get away without them safely.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i was just reading about nitrous online and i read somewhere that with a dry kit it would be hard to get the perfect fuel preasure because when spraying u want the preasure up and when not spraying you dont want it to high cuzit will run rich and slow u down. would fuel preasure be something that would be a pain in the ***?

Frank

1 - 20 of 69 Posts