TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
Boy would my car get taken quickly.....

Thats ridiculous....Hope they never try that one here....
mine to. but hell, my truck has an electric cutout just after the cats, if it happened here, i'd just leave that open all day long. trust me, its louder than any stereo i've heard :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I don't like window rattling music either, but even I would have to say that is a stupid bill. Confiscating a car for a stereo thats too loud?

Thats like getting the electric chair for jaywalking.

·
Registered
789 Posts
So 15" subs are illegal, which annoy old people, but cigarrettes and alcohol are still legal which kill thousands every year?

What about high end SUV's that have 12 speakers from the factory? Are those illegal in St. Louis now?

The definition of stupid: a political representative from St. Louis

·
Registered
27 Posts
That bill would violate so many constitutional rights.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
v3r71g0 said:
That bill would violate so many constitutional rights.
For example?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
One of the mods on realcaraudio.com emailed the alderman who sponsored this "ordinance". this was the reply he got:

thechris said:
i received this reply to my post to the alderman:

Christopher:

I understand your concern. In practice the legislation will only
target those who are blasting the
neighborhood. Rather than just seizing cars for the loud booming music like
they do in Chicago, however, we wanted to give some more objective criteria
for holding the car for evidence purposes when there are sound devices in
the vehicle that demonstrate that it is most likely the case that some
pretty intense booming music was heard by the police officer.
The legislation is broadly stated, because, frankly, residents are fed
up with the shaking and deafening music that some of these vehicles are
spewing on the street.
I am not trying to harm or disparage car audio enthusiasts. I can
assure you that the intent is not to affect folks who will be getting a
permit and entering audio competitions outside of our residential areas.
I can understand your concern. If this legislation is applied too
broadly, I can assure you that I will be leading the charge to change it.

Thanks. Craig

-----------------
i am still against the provisions on installing audio equipment.
I can understand the people complaining about noise, hell, i hate it when someone decides to broadcast their bass to an 8 block radius. However, isn't that what there are noise ordinances for? Or do those just apply to residences? Seems like a sticky situation anyway you look at it.

BTW-There's potential for some good discussion here, think we could possibly keep it nonpolitical (because that seems to be what that constitutional rights question is begging for . . . might just be me though)?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've always held that we all have freedoms. Yours goes until it intrudes on mine, mine goes until it intrudes on yours.

I have the freedom to not have to listen to your taste in music, and you have the same freedom to not have to listen to mine.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't see how they could "limit" the number or size of speakers like that, 3 of my 4 vehicals would be "illegal" and if an officer just happen to glance in the back window of my Bronco and seen the 3 12's in the back they would be able to impound it which is WRONG.

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
We've been talking about this one over at the TBU. I can understand the intentions behind this bill, but they should go about this a different way. Rather than limiting the equipment that a vehicle is allowed to have installed, the law should be based on how loud the operator is playing the music. Something like setting a maximum decibel level at a certain distance from the car.

Had they done their research on this before writing up the bill, they would realize that some stock vehicles would be illegal to operate within city limits.

Oh well, I try to stay out of the city anyway.

-Rod

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
http://forum.carstereos.org/showthread.php?t=58635&highlight=Craig
Ben:

I do not have a goal of terminating what you love doing.
I can see that you have not experienced the level of frustration many in our community face. Frankly, people are fed up with the shaking and deafening music spewed by some of these vehicles on the street. And, I can assure you that we are not looking at the Highways with speed limits of 55 mph plus. This is geared toward our residential and commercial streets with speed limits of 25 to 35 mph.
In practice the legislation will only target those who are blasting the neighborhood. Rather than just seizing cars for the loud booming music like they do in Chicago, however, we wanted to give some more objective criteria for holding the car for evidence purposes when there are sound devices in the vehicle that demonstrate that it is most likely the case that some pretty intense booming music was heard by the police officer.
I am not trying to stereotype or disparage car audio enthusiasts. I can assure you that the intent is not to affect folks who will be getting a permit and entering audio competitions outside of our residential areas.
I can understand your concern. If this legislation is applied too broadly, I can assure you that I will be leading the charge to change it.
Thanks. Craig

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Here in Charlotte County, there's some law that if a cop can hear your music from more than 25 feet away, you can get a ticket. But confiscating...whatever. It's dumb.

"more than two amplifiers"

Yeah, and most luxury and some performance cars come with, what? Like 6 amplifiers?

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
hotbird said:
Here in Charlotte County, there's some law that if a cop can hear your music from more than 25 feet away, you can get a ticket.
See, that makes sense to me. Now why can't St. Louis city just do something like that? :confused:

-Rod

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
YEA i hope chicago adopts this too. that would be great, i wont have to listen to the thug a$$holes blasting their cRAP anymore!!!
impound the car, and bring it strait to the crusher!!!! invite the owner to view it being crushed too.

·
Registered
825 Posts
it's a bit extreme but people that blast a 3 a.m. need to learn a lesson theres a time and place for everything and people don't relize the time and place most of all time. I live on main st. in my town and loud radios is the least of my conserns i have to hear rice pipes and broken tail pipes all day and all night.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I agree that confiscating a car for loud stereos is pretty extreme, but I can also understand the citizens of St. Louis wanting a limit to loud music disturbing them in the middle of the night. Giving out tickets for unreasonably loud music seems like a much better idea to me, and perhaps confiscation of the SPEAKERS after several violations, not the whole car.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
they should start doing that to cars and trucks with noisy exhaust systems, too, forget impounding, just straight to the crusher, and invite them to watch.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts