TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! just wandered over here with an evil gleam in my eye regarding the 4.0 liter V-6 that i'm assuming is a truck mill.... comparing the bore ,spacing bore/ stroke, etc. its pretty close to the mythical '4.5 L ford racing v-6' that went into some birds ... I am allmost done with the 5.4 project, and want to start something new... what probs will I encounter trying to build and swap a 4.0 int0 a MN-12? youse guys are the xperts on 6's ... any input?
jake

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Leland, the 4.0L V6 used in the Explorers and Rangers, and now the 2005 Mustang as well, is a 60 degree design that first came as an OHC design in 1997 model year. It can trace it's roots all the way back to early 70s, the 2.6L V6 that was available in the European Capris that were imported here up to 1978. It grew to a 2.8 by around 1974, then a 2.9 in 1986 for the Rangers and Bronco IIs, and finally a 4.0L in 1990. It shares nothing with any of Ford's other V6 engine families such as the 3.0L Vulcan used in the Taurus / Sable etc., or the 3.8 / 4.2L either.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh, well..... back to the drawing board, maybe I'll come up with something, new worlds to conquer, a focus or somethimg? hmmmmm? thanks tho'

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you could get a new 3.9 block and stroke it. The new 3.9 block is supposedly the strongest yet to come out of Ford, and has enough room to make it 4 bolt main cap. Now that would be a v6 block ready for some abuse :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
241 Posts
Whatever you do, dont get the 3.0. Its a ****ty, ****ty little engine. Same power as a 3.8, but it gets mileage like a big block.

I should know. I drove it to work this morning in the Ranger.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was blue skying a reworked V-6 with a bit more displacement, but bore bigger than stroke, and some really exotic machening i have access to... pricey, but exotic... more along the lines of a bigger bore 3.8 with steroids and no headgasket probs by ringing the heads and block for boost, tweaking other aspects and a lightened birdie to handle it in .... It is on a back burner now, but us old guys still never stop thinking, y' know........, and you never know what I'll do.... :xpwink:

·
8,978 Posts
the 96+ heads and blocks had hardly any problems with hg's, and the 99+ I've never heard of blowing hg's like the earlier ones. With o-ringing it could hold a lot of boost. I'll have my sc block o-ringed when I get it built. Do it :D
-Thomas

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
How about a 300-6? 4.9L I6, good torque, 3.8/5.0/5.8 tranny fits (right?). Then do a cam, p&p head, turbo, etc. Definately would be different, and cool. They made them up to 1996 I think.

·
8,239 Posts
my buddy has a ranger with a 4.0, its decent power for a new little truck, but I wonder why the little truck didn't get the 4.2 motor? That would be badass.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
They have never installed a 90 degree V6 in the Rangers. The 4.0L SOHC is 205 hp, and around 260 torque. There would be no advantage to going with the 4.2 V6 at it's current power level.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
8,978 Posts
he was talking about putting a 4.0 in an mn12 and I am saying that a 4.2 project would be more feasible.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
BlackCat94 said:
How about a 300-6? 4.9L I6, good torque, 3.8/5.0/5.8 tranny fits (right?). Then do a cam, p&p head, turbo, etc. Definately would be different, and cool. They made them up to 1996 I think.

Have you noticed how tall and long one of those engines is? Leland would need an ever stranger looking scoop that he has on his 5.4L car!! :tongue:

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A 4.0 would be a step above the 3.8. Even in my parents Aerostar I could do burnouts with that engine.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, looks like a 3.8 has the most favorable Bore/Stroke ratio, as well as being a pretty simple engine.... the question now is how much can it safely be bored to? hmmm???

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
most people that have sonic checked a block are able to go .060 over pretty easy. and With a 3" cowl hood a 300-6 WOULD fit under the hood of an MN 12 with a custom oil pan and moving the radiator forward (I set one of my spare 300-6's in a 93' cougar I had the engine out of just to take a peek)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The 3.8/4.2L is too wide for a ranger without cutting sheet metal, they are slightly wider than a 351W which I KNOW is a shoe horn fit in a ranger.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Blue LS said:
A 4.0 would be a step above the 3.8. Even in my parents Aerostar I could do burnouts with that engine.
This is true.
My Dad used to have a 4.0 Aerostar... That thing would boogie! I can remember filling the wheel wells with smoke several times in that beast.
I also drag raced a 3.8 Thunderbird and smoked it with that van. :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its weird seeing my dads mini van that can easily smoke my Cat :bawling: . Its too bad Ford didnt at least use the Four liter as the standard engine in the Tbirds/Cougars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts