TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My question is on the Mark VIII torque converter. How does it improve performance when used on the XR-7? Are any mods needed? When I'm at a light try to take off hard sometimes it moves and others it sluggish. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to modify.

Thanks for the help.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
stock stall is about 2200, mark 8 stall is 2700. this allows your engine to get into the powerband sooner. It is a lock-up so gas mileage will not be effected much

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was just reading up and saw that GreenBird mentioned that the stock stall was 2200, but i can only stall to about 1500 to 1600 before i break the tires, is there a difference in how high u can stall when you are in first gear when manually doing the 1-2 shift than when your just stalling in drive? i have been looking into getting a torque converter and i think i'll end up goin w/ the Mark VIII converter and then do the 3.73 pumpkin kit mod, but is there any other things i might wanna do to make sure that everything holds strong? Mark VIII drive shaft maybe? any input will help, thanks,
MercCat_XR7

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
MercCat_XR7 said:
I was just reading up and saw that GreenBird mentioned that the stock stall was 2200, but i can only stall to about 1500 to 1600 before i break the tires, MercCat_XR7
That's not true stall speed.
True stall speed is the rpm at which the engine cannot rev any higher due to the load placed upon it from the t/c becoming a fluid coupling.
Try this...
place the trans in manual 2nd,hold the brak and press the throttle.It shouldn't spin the tiresd unless your rear brakes are hosed,and you'll see just where your engine stalls the stock t/c in your car.
Take that same t/c,and place it behind an engine that makes more torque,and it'll stall higher.
JL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts