TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having a lenghty discusion with my boss , i need to honestly answer this. she thinks just becuase they are old and have over 100k on them that they are not worth putting money in especailly if they shoudlsay need a engine or trans. her crowning glory is that her and her husband paid 3k for a nice93 sc with low miles that had a new engine. said oh its worth it becasue its maintained . well, thats a story in it self. so say like my 92 car. 130k , 5.0 sport, lowered, newer paint. (needs touched up) sunroof. all i hear is forthe money your dumping in that car you could of had a newer one. ok. that might be true to an extent. but at what point do say give up on a car that needs some work but still useable, not bad enough to be worth junking? same goes with my cougar too. what you think it would be worth if i were tosell? 89, 5.0 transplant, built trans. i woudl want 3-4 ish for it . and i guess it goes for all of our cars, the later ones seem to hold better value but the early ones , where do they stand?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IMHO, a LOT depends on what someone is looking for.

If they want "transportation", then I don't think a car as old as these are worth the money due to the high dollar repair items (head gaskets and transmissions). (But with that said, to get the options that the MN12 platform has in a "newer" car, will really, really cost some money!!)

If you want a fun, reliable, overall car to drive and possibly "play with", then the MN12 platform can't be beat, (except by a Gen I Mark VIII. :zwall: )

But I would shy away from the 3.8L. :beek:

But that is just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
To give you an idea since I just had to have an adjusted look at my car after hurricane Wilma. State Farm places the value at $2400 for my 94. Fortunately the adjuster valued it higher as a custom due to the supercharged 02 engine and lincoln interior since it has $2400 worth of damage or it would have been totaled.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
I had some younger guy stop in front of my house and ask how much I wanted for my bird? heres the conversation

Me "Its not for sale"
He" Well if you were to sell it how much"
Me "Its not for sale"
He"Give me a number"
Me "You could build your own for a lot less than I would want. I can help you with the suspension.
He " How much for yours?"
Me "its not for sale"
He "Just give me a number"
Me "uh,uh $20,000"
He "ok and left"

Come to find out he got half the money from his mom and needs the other half from his dad , but he won't give it to him. Smart man! I would have a hard time selling it for that even amount. I know its not worth that , but it is to me. I have lots of time in that car.
Thought I would share. People at my work said they would kick me in the nuts if I didn't sell it for 20. :eek:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know you can't weigh this into buying or selling but I'm sure for a lot of people here, sentimental(SP) value weighs a lot. When you put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into a car, it is worth a lot to you than to someone else on the street. IMHO, that's all it comes down to is opinions. Your opinion vs. theirs.

BTW, timb, where did you come up with that sig question?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well, you could take $20,000, build another car exactly like it (or better), and have some extra change left over!

But I know what you mean. I wish I could say I wouldn't place a money value on anything I own, but there are exceptions. Like my GTP: it's probably only worth $2500 in my area, but I wouldn't let it go for anything under $5000 (yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen...), just because I like this car.

Our cars are worth what someone will pay for them. I hate that answer, but it's the truth. Here in the Upper Peninsula, my T-Bird sold for a grand. Downstate, I could probably have gotten nearly a thousand dollars more than that, because people down there have more money. Granted, a '95 isn't what you'd call "earlier," but I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed getting more than $1500 anywhere from an early '90s 'Bird. Which, of course, usually works to our advantage when it comes time to get another vehicle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
first rule of used car sales.
1.)What ever the market will bear
second rule.
2.)There is an *** for every seat
third rule.
3.)No matter what you pay there will be a better one cheaper tommorrow
rule three a.
3A.) No matter what you sell it for, someone will offer you more right after you close the deal.

realistically check auto trader on line and do a search for your car in a 100 mile or 500 mile radius. Gives you a pretty good idea of the local market.

for my self i'd rather put another grand or two into the car for repairs over the next 2 years than plunking down a grand or two for another used car, that will probally need the same work done as i have already done as well as the upcoming repairs.

think about this i'm driving a double overhead cam V-8 with fuel injection, 4 speed automatic, independant rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control, air conditioning, leather seats and a kick *** sound system. Its worth quite a bit to me!! but if someone laid out 5k in hundred dollar bills .......bye bye cougar

·
Registered
927 Posts
My car is worth more to me than anyone else was willing to pay for it. So, I decided to keep it. :D Even though I can't drive, it's still my first car, and it's the nicest car anyone in my family has ever owned. (I grew up fairly poor, so I like having a nice car if I can afford it.)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If mine was sold before the 200,000 mark I could have gotten around 2k for it. Now with 352,000 it isnt worth more than scrap to most people. But I still dont think I would sell it even if offered.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
www.edmunds.com

www.kbb.com

You can do appraisals on both sites. Market (location), color, condition of vehicle, all factor in to the value of a car.

An appraisal on my car at Edmunds, with the following selections:

"Base Value" $473

Power Moonroof $37
Power Front Passenger Seat $14
Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror $5
Keyless Entry System $10
Power Antenna $4
Anti-Theft Alarm System $7
4.6L V8 SOHC 16V FI Engine $57
Premium Audio System $22
Automatic Climate Control $11

"Regional Adjustment for Zip Code 48186" $-3

"Mileage Adjustment for 300,625 miles" $-236

"Condition Adjustment -- Average" $-142

Results: Trade-In value is $259.

KBB is a little nicer on trade-in value, at $530, with the following equipment chosen:

Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Single Compact Disc
Premium Sound
Dual Front Air Bags
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Alloy Wheels

I chose "Rate It," and KBB determined the condition as "Fair." Cracked windshield, some rust spots, parking lot dings...

Things like upgrades and how well it runs don't mean anything. Mileage, when it should be a testament to durability, figures in as a detriment.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
I was offered (and this is no bull) $7800 for my 94 last year. That was basically a PI headswap bird with the ART system and Cobra R's. I told the guy to give me $10K and he could have it...he begged me to take 7800... even now, I wouldn't take anything les than 10K...I just love my car too much :)

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did a search ealier on auto trader and for my area cat and bird one in at 1500 the rest were 2999 and up . i forgot to put in my intial post, but i am not selling my 2 cars. i just want to get a real estimate at most of us are looking here about them.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
My car is a '90 Base with almost 100k on it, mostly original, in great shape. To me, considering that it has always been 99.9% reliable transportation, it's worth as much as a Masarati or Ferrari, or any other vehicle because it takes me where I want and that's all I ask of it.

To someone else... well, it's probably only worth what I've got invested in to the tires (and that's pro-rating them with mileage :D)

Once my car breaks down, the only value it has is sentimental. If I've got the cash, I'll fix what's wrong. If it's cheaper (including the extremely high value I put on my labor because I'm a lazy-a$$) to buy another car (another MN-12), I'll do so and park my '90 indefinitely. I don't foresee getting rid of the '90 because I really am attached to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts