TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is growing fruit plants / trees. Right now I've got 3 avocado trees, a fig tree, a mango tree, and some pomegranate seeds.

The avocado trees are 6mo, 3mo, and 2mo old. The fig tree is 4mo old, the mango is 1mo old. The pomegranate seeds were just put in last weekend, so they haven't sprouted yet. I'm not sure what to do with all this vegetation once it's time to plant it into the ground. I might just sell some of these and give others away to family.

I guess these wouldn't be really "trees" but rather saplings as they are all quite small. The largest of the bunch is my oldest avocado tree and it stands at a little over 2ft tall right now.

The one I'm worried about is the mango tree. The climate here in SoCal is not optimal / ideal climate for mango trees. More than likely, I'll need to build a greenhouse for it before I can take it outside. My part of SoCal gets light dusting of snow during winters and summer temps average 105F with highs reaching 115F. Either one of these extremes will kill the mango tree. I've got time, right? LOL

The other thing I need to do here in the near future is find and / or make more real estate for all these little plants I'm growing. The little bench and window sill is starting to become overrun with plants.

Blue pot, 6mo old avocado
Clear container, 2mo old avocado
Red pot, 3mo old avocado
Orange pot, mango
Peeking through slit on left side of image, fig

Blue pot, 6mo old avocado
Clear container, 2mo old avocado
Red pot, 3mo old avocado
Orange pot, mango
Small grey pot on right, fig

My pomegranate seeds

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
I'm into Bonzai Kittens; it's a rewarding hobby, and there are always excess kittens everywhere.

Who knew cats were a liquid? (They take the form of the container...)

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
I don't have quite that assortment of greens, but I did recently pick up a couple yuzu trees to keep. One is staying in a planter to be moved inside for winter and outside for the warmer months, and another which I'll put in a sheltered space outside to see if I can get it to overwinter outdoors in spring. I'm just tired of paying $13/lb for fresh yuzu every winter, to have it shipped in from CA. :)

There's the obvious part about me flying recreationally (want to be back in the air this winter, really hope to know in a few weeks...). Every once in a while I'll binge my way through one or two of my old games.

Aside from that... I'm a ThinkPad collector. I've got some 25 or 26 of them dating from ~2012 back to 1994ish. My newest is the 25th anniversary model from 2017 (it has the old style keyboard which is the only one I choose to use). I have a list in my signature on the ThinkPads forum; I also maintain a collection of factory recovery media sets, which is over 80 sets and 300GB strong and growing. https://forum.thinkpads.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59563

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have quite that assortment of greens, but I did recently pick up a couple yuzu trees to keep. One is staying in a planter to be moved inside for winter and outside for the warmer months, and another which I'll put in a sheltered space outside to see if I can get it to overwinter outdoors in spring. I'm just tired of paying $13/lb for fresh yuzu every winter, to have it shipped in from CA. :)

There's the obvious part about me flying recreationally (want to be back in the air this winter, really hope to know in a few weeks...). Every once in a while I'll binge my way through one or two of my old games.

Aside from that... I'm a ThinkPad collector. I've got some 25 or 26 of them dating from ~2012 back to 1994ish. My newest is the 25th anniversary model from 2017 (it has the old style keyboard which is the only one I choose to use). I have a list in my signature on the ThinkPads forum; I also maintain a collection of factory recovery media sets, which is over 80 sets and 300GB strong and growing. https://forum.thinkpads.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59563
The Thinkpad thing you do is pretty cool. You reminded me of something else I have going on. PC parts collecting.

I have numerous motherboards and video cards of systems I've built and retired / put away in boxes from over the years. The plan for them is to put them in a frame of some sort and have a little plaque made for them detailing their specs. Then get those frames hung up on a wall.

So far I have an EPOX 8RDA+, ABIT IC7-G MAX II, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, EVGA 780i, MSI K8N NEO 2 Platinum, ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO, NVIDIA 7800 AGP, ATI X1900 AGP, NVIDIA 6800 ULTRA, and Power color 7800 Myst Edition. I know that there's a few more, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Those are my low end (of their time) stuff that are in boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Heh, funny you mention the Epox motherboard as I have the same one in an old Duron system I built many years ago still hanging around. Once I finish the basement it'll go up on the retro-PC-gaming LAN. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
I have a number of older computers I use for gaming on LAN; most are XP but I have Win95 and 98, as well as three Win7 systems.

I'm currently modding a P5WD2 Premium mobo to go from Socket 775 to Socket 771, to fit a Xeon processor I got cheap.

It should overclock upwards of 4GHz, and it has 4 threads, so it should rock.

If this one works, I have a P5B Deluxe I'll mod the same way. :)

Keep the old stuff; I'm amazed at what some of it sells for on Ebay. :D

There's a thread for old stuff on Techpowerup. It's a cool forum.

I have a complete IBM Model 55, if anyone wants it; pay shipping or pickup. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
Hmm, would passive hobbies = hobbies that don’t require much physical effort(active hobbies)? Or would passive hobbies = other hobbies of a passing interest to me?

The latter would probably be guitar building. I’m not a professional musician or luthier, I just like playing and instruments and never could justify paying someone for setups and mods to my guitars so I gradually learned to do it all myself, lurking on builder forums and soaking it all in. Using just my small B&D router I’ve had since middle school and home made jigs/templates I’ve built a few bodies and rendered a bunch more including neck plans on my PC. I’ve only done this stuff for my own amusement and always lose interest 90% of the way through, so I don’t have much to show for it, but the process is fun to occasionally indulge in on a whim.

This was my latest from between march-April using mostly spare parts(from incomplete builds) 8/4 Poplar and a blem Jackson Dinky neck I had lying around. Basically a copy of a 84 Gibson Explorer but functionally like a 80s Jackson/Charvel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Photography. Point, click.

Post-processing on the other hand can be a rather intensive process depending on the application. HDR, Timelapse, etc.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, would passive hobbies = hobbies that don’t require much physical effort(active hobbies)? Or would passive hobbies = other hobbies of a passing interest to me?

The latter would probably be guitar building. I’m not a professional musician or luthier, I just like playing and instruments and never could justify paying someone for setups and mods to my guitars so I gradually learned to do it all myself, lurking on builder forums and soaking it all in. Using just my small B&D router I’ve had since middle school and home made jigs/templates I’ve built a few bodies and rendered a bunch more including neck plans on my PC. I’ve only done this stuff for my own amusement and always lose interest 90% of the way through, so I don’t have much to show for it, but the process is fun to occasionally indulge in on a whim.

This was my latest from between march-April using mostly spare parts(from incomplete builds) 8/4 Poplar and a blem Jackson Dinky neck I had lying around. Basically a copy of a 84 Gibson Explorer but functionally like a 80s Jackson/Charvel

A cousin and an uncle of mine would likely appreciate your guitar making skills. They are very much into playing their guitars at all moments possible.

Separately, IDK why, but the musical talent gene completely skipped me. I have two left feet for dancing and can't hold a beat if my life depended on it, LOL.

Photography. Point, click.

Post-processing on the other hand can be a rather intensive process depending on the application. HDR, Timelapse, etc.
Photography is definitely amazing.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts

Photography is definitely amazing.

Nah, photography is nothing compared to Bonzai Kittens. Now, Bonzai Kittens is definitely amazing! It takes a very zen state to cajole those kittens into such small places.

LOL ... but thanks. I do enjoy taking pictures.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
I showed those pix to the cats; they were not amused, lol.

Kaatu scared the hell out of one of the nephews a couple of weeks ago; I was working on the Tbird, Kaatu was sitting in the rear window, and the 5yo great nephew thought he was fake. :)

He had his face up to the glass when Kaatu attacked the glass; scared the crap out of him.

They are bitching today; they think it's my fault it's 20 degrees outside, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
A cousin and an uncle of mine would likely appreciate your guitar making skills. They are very much into playing their guitars at all moments possible.

Separately, IDK why, but the musical talent gene completely skipped me. I have two left feet for dancing and can't hold a beat if my life depended on it, LOL
I’m better at building than playing. I have good dexterity, know the common chords and scales, and have a good ear to learn to play recorded music but trying to understand theory, improvise and write music is a major roadblock for me, it just turns into me trying to understand mathematical equations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a heavily-upgraded W520 that I still use daily with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO and 16GB DDR3-1600 on an old BIOS that still supports 1600MHz RAM. I also upgraded the CPU to the i7-2860QM and the Wi-Fi to the Intel 6300N because it came with an i7-2720M and 6100N respectively. It came with every other feature, including the fingerprint reader and a webcam that is currently adorned with black tape.

I've been out of the laptop game for a long time because I gave up on just about every mainstream manufacturer out there. I've been telling myself the next laptop I get would have to be a custom-built gaming laptop. I didn't know about the ThinkPad 25 until reading this and got excited for a moment, but then I read about it, and apart from the keyboard, I've got to agree with this article and say it (and Lenovo) still sucks.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
I have a heavily-upgraded W520 that I still use daily with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO and 16GB DDR3-1600 on an old BIOS that still supports 1600MHz RAM. I also upgraded the CPU to the i7-2860QM and the Wi-Fi to the Intel 6300N because it came with an i7-2720M and 6100N respectively. It came with every other feature, including the fingerprint reader and a webcam that is currently adorned with black tape.

I've been out of the laptop game for a long time because I gave up on just about every mainstream manufacturer out there. I've been telling myself the next laptop I get would have to be a custom-built gaming laptop. I didn't know about the ThinkPad 25 until reading this and got excited for a moment, but then I read about it, and apart from the keyboard, I've got to agree with this article and say it (and Lenovo) still sucks.

Ha! Closely mimics my own W520 - i7-2860QM and 32GM RAM, SSD and HDD installed. I upgraded to an IPS FHD panel. Details on this thread... https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118789

But yeah, the T25 is just a T470 with the classic keyboard. I figured this was the de-facto final opportunity I'd ever get to get a ThinkPad with a real keyboard so I jumped on it, despite its shortcomings. I don't really regret it, although I do wish it had at least a WQHD display (which I'd gladly sacrifice the touch for) - and if they'd just adjusted things a few months, we could've gotten quad-core 8th gen CPUs in them too. Although I understand there is a way to fit a T480 motherboard into the T25...

I also forgot to mention but I do have a bunch of telescopes and photography stuff as well. Astrophotography makes men out of boys, I'll tell 'ya... patience, technique, equipment, subject, conditions, equipment, money, equipment, oh and did I mention equipment and money?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ha! Closely mimics my own W520 - i7-2860QM and 32GM RAM, SSD and HDD installed. I upgraded to an IPS FHD panel. Details on this thread... https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118789

But yeah, the T25 is just a T470 with the classic keyboard. I figured this was the de-facto final opportunity I'd ever get to get a ThinkPad with a real keyboard so I jumped on it, despite its shortcomings. I don't really regret it, although I do wish it had at least a WQHD display (which I'd gladly sacrifice the touch for) - and if they'd just adjusted things a few months, we could've gotten quad-core 8th gen CPUs in them too. Although I understand there is a way to fit a T480 motherboard into the T25...
Nice work! If I had been paying attention to those forums three years ago, I might have bought that lid assembly from you. To be honest though, I probably wouldn't get much benefit out of it. My W520 is usually just a breakfast table laptop. I'll occasionally dock it in my family room home theater, but it's not like I can do any serious couch gaming with it. I have an ExpressCard PCI-E adapter that I've never used and ended up selling my old GeForce GTX 760 that I planned to use with it because it was collecting dust.

I also read the blog of the guy who put the T480 guts in his T25. It sounds intriguing, but I feel like I'm past the point where I'd be interested in messing around with laptops. I think I'd like having something more portable than my W520 when traveling, but that's it. I'd rather save my energy for building my next workstation, although I don't feel a pressing need with that either right now. My 4.6GHz overclocked i7-2600K still gets the job done and I'm consistently behind the curve with the latest games anyway. I can squeeze one more graphics card upgrade, going from my 980 Ti to a 1080 Ti, out of this Sandy Bridge platform before I really have to retire it. I feel like I could even drag it out until 2022-23 before I really have to do a complete new build.

As for other hobbies, I don't know that I'd call any of mine passive, but I've shelved everything other than home improvement for the past and next couple of years because I have two cars that are getting the attention now that they should have gotten years ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Yeah my W520 usually lives upstairs as my primary workstation if I'm not on the T25 or the desktop. My T601F is my work machine (in all its 13+ year old glory!) and if I travel I've got the X220. I've contemplated retiring my own 2600K desktop a few times in the last year or so but it's essentially a glorified file server since I don't spend much time playing PC games anymore. I put a 1060 into it a little while ago and even that's fairly overkill for most of what I do on it, although the new MSFS might change that. :)

My hope is that after I finish my basement project, getting this winter's (hopefully conclusive) rust repair work on the T-bird out of the way, and next summer's trip to Ireland paid for... I'll be able to put those headers on the T-bird and finally "finish" the build.

Money, time, toys - keep any two. :)

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
Metalwork, welding, machining, forming, bumping, etc. Pretty much wholly car-related. To really boil it down, I like to make stuff using metal.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
All of my cars are rocking pieces you made, racecougar!!

Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts