TCCoA Forums banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Not GE but GM. This article caught my eye today.

You want big dividend yield try Iron Mountain (IRM) at 7.88% or an LP like Sunoco (SUN) at 11.62%

Not a fan of GE (They're the competition LOL).

I so missed the boat on dumping my XOM stock. :(
Huh, You learn something new everyday.
1) Dividend yield is based on a stock price and not just the payout. Therefore, a stock which has its share price driven down (based on shareholders perceived future value), will have a HIGHER dividend yield compared to a stock that pays out similiar money but has a more stable share price.

2) IRM's Dividend Payout Ratio (dividend compared to earnings) is 210.48%. They are returning to shareholders way more than they earn which is not sustainable.

Apparently, to be a REIT they HAVE to return 90% of their taxable income as dividends.
Is Iron Mountain a Great Dividend Stock? | The Motley Fool

In comparison
SUN dividend payout ratio is 109%
GE is 6% (so they have plenty of income to justify the dividend)
GILD is 42%

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Yes, dividend yield is directly proportional to the stock price. That's how it's calculated: Dividend Yield = annual dividend / share price.

I use Seeking Alpha among other sites for stock info. There's a lot of good information there for free. You can also procure a lot of good information just by reading through the comments section of the various articles. Here's a good article on IRM.

CDsDontBurn,
If you want to chase dividends There's always the Dividend Kings list.

What is a Dividend King? A stock with 50 or more consecutive years of dividend increases.

Then there are the Dividend Aristocrats. "The Dividend Aristocrats are S&P 500 index constituents that have increased their dividend payouts for 25 consecutive years or more."

More info here:

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
My worry on TSLA is that like all our other assets, the turbulent market will drag things down.
A company can have its best news ever and still stumble/stay even if the whole market tanks.

Day traders must love this volatility but I don't have the stomach for it.

Q: As a side note, have you folks looked at refinancing your mortgages?
Yeah, TSLA is volatile as hell. I'm pissed I didn't get back in on Friday before it shot up again on Monday and Tuesday. Tesla trucking is most interesting (Not the Cyber truck but their Semi's). There are just so many different things about this company that look promising.

On mortgages: I refinanced a few years ago. My rate is 3.25% It's going to have to drop to 2.25% or below before I'd consider another refi.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Here's one other random tool I wanted to share with you folks. For the past few months, I've used
Monitor websites for changes, get SMS alerts and email alerts | Distill.io to monitor websites for changes. More specifically, I use the tool to tell me whenever the rates have changed on my credit unions website for savings and mortgages.

The basic idea is that you create an account on distill.io and then use their embedded browser (essentially a browser in your browser) to open up your target website. You then use the item selector to select the field you want them to monitor and set a monitoring period (free = every 6 hours). You will then receive an email if that field changes.

While certain websites exist to monitor Amazon or Newegg prices, for example, this is a general purpose tool that can be used to monitor whatever website you want.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
BTW, thanks CDB for opening this thread. I really do enjoy these discussions and its cool to interact with people with different backgrounds and locales from the folks I deal with day-to-day at work and home. Even my friends outside of CA have more similar backgrounds (lots of engineers/SW folks) so I truly appreciate everyone's viewpoint here and I hope my contributions to the discussion are appreciated as well.
I missed this earlier! And, you're welcome. I started this thread mainly because I was doing some super n00b (and still am one!) trading and got lucky with Tilray (TLRY). I wanted to learn more about trading as it's something that's always interested me but with a plethora of information out there and no way for me to really decipher the "language", I started this thread. I'm glad I did. :)

From an income stream standpoint, dividend yield is 0.35%.
You can keep your money risk free (with no stock market exposure) and earn 1.65% with a HYS acct from a CU/online bank. You can invest it in a bond fund and in CA early ~3% tax free with VCITX (just found... has super low expenses) or NCATX (my old standby but expense ratio is 2x VCITX for same yield. Moving money now).
Thanks for the insight. I'll stay away from GE shares for the time being. It's low price is what was attractive to me, but looking out for dividend returns and learning from you that it's a no-go, means it's a no-go, lol.

Q: Even if you consider this a buy-and-hold stock, do you really want to consolidate more of your net worth in one single stock (directly + your indirect holdings?)
I hadn't thought of that as well. I'll have to take a peek at my 457b account and see what they all invest in there for me.

You want big dividend yield try Iron Mountain (IRM) at 7.88% or an LP like Sunoco (SUN) at 11.62%
Thanks!!! I'll definitely be buying into SUN and / or IRM tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
CDB
Before you throw your money into ANYTHING else, I would highly encourage you to map out your entire portfolio into a spreadsheet to see where it is across ALL your accts. I'm not talking about going into each individual fund and pulling out the major holdings but it helps to see where all of your investments are between your accts (brokerage and 457b which you have mentioned plus anything else). I even track my son's 457b as a line item asset here. You can then compare this against a target small/med/large cap asset mix.

NOTE: There are tools that a financial advisor can run for you to generate this - the company that runs my employer's benefits program will do this for me with just a list of my funds and $$$ amounts and input it into Morningstar Portfolio XRay. They do this every year or every other year for me for free. Another certified FP who wants your business might be willing to do this for you as well to get you interested in them but you need to give them the input data). The last time they ran it for me, they identified that I had a big chunk in my employer (no surprise), my wifes employer (no surprise), and Seagate (a little surprise but it came from an individual stock position + one of my large cap funds had them as a holding). It didn't chage my plans for STX but its good to know that info.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Yes, CDB map your holdings. I keep an excel spreadsheet of my holdings and update it constantly. Before you jump into SUN and / or IRM today do your homework, look for a good entry point and also check out all the other dividend stock links that I shared.

Gunn: Thanks for the tip on website monitoring. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
So my day trader friend has given me an update on IBIO and suggested that I get back in it and hold for at least a few weeks. Reasons being is that they have a strong competitive advantage with COVID-19 vaccine efforts, their shareholders meeting is coming up soon with no indication of bad news, and they recalled their request for a reverse stock split.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
So taking a step back, who will "win" revenue from the development of a CV19 vaccine? I'm not sure any of these are clear potential winners.

- INO has a MERS vaccine (also a CV) that they are going into human trials with in April. It passed phase 1 human trials (so they proved probably doesn't kill people). They were going to go into Phase 2 in 2020 with INO-4700 but now are targeting CV19. INO says they can only make 100K doses/yr but are trying to establish partnerships to ramp up.

- GILD has an ebola vaccine candidate Remdesivir aka GS-5734. It was safe BUT it didn't work as well for Ebola as alternatives (checked in the Congo in 2019). Now they are checking against CV19. If it works, they have the existing mfg partnerships to get it into production (they made a crapton of HepC vaccines).

- IBIO doesn't have a vaccine. They have a fast pharming tech in which they GROW vaccines in tobacco plants."iBio is using their FastPharming System which has been used to produce antibody candidates for Ebola and Dengue fever viruses, while human and animal studies have been completed for vaccine candidates, including yellow fever virus, human papilloma virus, seasonal influenza and avian influenza. " I didn't seem to find any evidence that any of it is production though.

They are partnering with CC-Pharming which is supposedly going to supply the vaccine candidate. CC-P also uses plants as bioreactors instead of big stainless steel tanks full of single celled organisms. I get that they COULD be a place to produce a vaccine but I couldn't find any evidence of WHAT candidate they are planning to use. I'm not sure if this means they are starting from scratch or if they already have a promising molecule but IMO, that seems like two points of risk for IBIO (1 - do they have a vaccine candidate and 2 - can their tech scale up to manufacture it). Finally, if china.gov is already messing with GILD on the patent side with their candidate, what are the chances that CC-P will do the same with a much smaller company like IBIO?

- MRNA We already discussed this one. Completely new approach to vaccine development than traditional vaccines. They have tested a MERS vaccine in animals only but now they will need to swap that MRNA gene sequence out for the one from CV19 and then trial it. How soon will that happen? Moderna says they could make 100M doses a year (if they find something that works)

Phases of clinical trials (1 - safety, 2 is efficiency, 3 is randomized/blind testing to determine if it works better than existing alternatives and side effects).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Interesting to see how much interest in these stocks moving UP/Down. Here's another tool worth looking at - how much people are betting against the stock you are considering to buy.

See Short % of Float

TSLA For every share traded, there are 28.73% betting on it going down

IBIO has 32% short volume ratio.

"Boring" stocks like GE, GM, KO and UNH are 10% or less

---
I added some more tickers (BA and EADSY) and set the start date to Jan 17th to show how much various stocks have been hammered by CV19.
Now it shows major hotel chains, cruise lines, and aircraft mfg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm still not done trying to catch falling knives with my TSLA profits ;)
I bought EADSY this morning at $28.43 because I think its a good long term deal <$30. It has since dropped 5% to $28. I think this is merely the CV19 drama vs longterm/systemic management issues (which plague BA).

Q: Are you folks seeing a slowdown at work because of less travel, quicker commutes b/c of less traffic and/or restaurants being less crowded?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
What I do for work will likely cause an increase in work. As of right now though, I haven't seen an increase of work. Any increase of work will likely take a while before it filters down to significant levels. Otherwise, it'll be emergency cases such as the first plane with U.S. Citizens coming from China that were going to land at Ontario, CA (California, not Canada!). As we know though, that plane was redirected to March AFB in Moreno Valley, and that location is not in my employer's jurisdiction.

As far as traffic goes, no. That's still the same, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
What I do for work will likely cause an increase in work. As of right now though, I haven't seen an increase of work. Any increase of work will likely take a while before it filters down to significant levels. Otherwise, it'll be emergency cases such as the first plane with U.S. Citizens coming from China that were going to land at Ontario, CA (California, not Canada!). As we know though, that plane was redirected to March AFB in Moreno Valley, and that location is not in my employer's jurisdiction.

As far as traffic goes, no. That's still the same, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Traffic seems to be lightening up in the Bay Area.
It seems like some restaurants are a little less busy than before.
Depending on the area, grocery stores are seeing emptier shelves (esp places like Costco).

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
I'm still not done trying to catch falling knives with my TSLA profits ;)
I bought EADSY this morning at $28.43 because I think its a good long term deal <$30. It has since dropped 5% to $28. I think this is merely the CV19 drama vs longterm/systemic management issues (which plague BA).

Q: Are you folks seeing a slowdown at work because of less travel, quicker commutes b/c of less traffic and/or restaurants being less crowded?
So you bought back into TSLA when it dropped below 700 ? I have a bad habit of trying to catch falling knives too. XOM has been brutal. It's those knives that drop so slowly as to be imperceptible that get you the worst. The extended XOM drop from $104 in June of 2014 to under $50 today has been brutal. I'm really hoping to see a rebound to at least $75 so that I can bail out.

A: No slowdown at work for me or my industry. We're still very busy (Spring and fall are our busy seasons).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nope. Still out of TSLA. I want to see <$600. I think there are enough supply chain issues and with the economy in turmoil, how many people will be buying $75k+ cars? No need to burn my profits so quickly.

I don't want to be one of those guys who takes $100, turns it to $3000 at the craps table, and then gives it all back before the end of the night.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Grahm sums it up well. "Let's flip a coin". This market is crazy out of control.

... Although he takes 8 minutes to get to the nitty gritty.

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Tesla Insurance? I didn't even know that this is going to be a thing.

Vertical integration at its finest.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #218

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts
Yeah, I saw a headline on the oil price war yesterday. It's going to be interesting. Really cheap gas at the pump. The price here in MS has dropped abut .15 since I arrived on the 23rd of FEB. It's 1.899/gal. as of this morning.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yeah, I saw a headline on the oil price war yesterday. It's going to be interesting. Really cheap gas at the pump. The price here in MS has dropped abut .15 since I arrived on the 23rd of FEB. It's 1.899/gal. as of this morning.

Best Case estimate = nadir is three weeks from now
Worst Case = bottom is maybe 6 months out a earnings reports come in from the worst of the CV19.

My CCL and RCL are -50% down
EADSY -11%
YOLO -60% (whoa)

Yeah, I'm going to ride this one out for longer.

Q: Who wants to bet on the oil market bouncing back and over what term? I know TM likes XOM
Energy has trailed all the other sectors in the last few years.

I think I bought IYE in May 2019 @ ~$34.50 and sold in Aug 2019 @ $30.19 to free up some cash for another non-stock related investment. That trailed the rest of my portfolio during that time period. It's at $17.78 today. It's peak was nearly $55 (-68% down) in May 2014. It was still ~$30 until CV19 hit in Jan.
-g

201 - 220 of 254 Posts