TCCoA Forums banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
I remember we talked previously about remote conferencing and worknig from home as a result of the required isolation. I have a couple of stories to share about that from my own company.

Circuit: We overloaded it on a large conference call on Tuesday. Now there's a message when you open the app that indicates the following:

• Please help us to stabilize Circuit in Covid-19-times: We propose to schedule meetings with a delay of 3-10 minutes (e.g. at 9.06 instead of 09.00 sharp or at 10.27 instead of 10.30). Please only use Circuit for important business meetings and keep screen-sharing and video calls to a minimum. For direct one-to-one calls, please use your mobile phone to make a telephone call instead.
Pulse Secure: Our preferred VPN service, I haven't used it lately but never had a problem connecting.

Zscaler:

• At the end of last week, we were forced to quickly roll out a new remote access tool, Zscaler, because many employees were advised to work from home from March 16th onwards. So far, employees in Germany, Italy, Spain and parts of the US have been activated to use Zscaler. Due to capacity overload, however, we had to stop the global rollout on Monday. In a joint effort with our provider we are optimizing the back end infrastructure and fixing the technical issues. In order to proceed with this agenda, we need a substantial number of users connected to Zscaler around the clock. When the European business day ends, the user number drops. Therefore, we need the US employees’ collaboration to sustain these high numbers so that our IT engineers can make these back end optimizations.
I thought you IT guys would find this interesting.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
TM:
I'm a little confused at how your company is organized (partly because I really don't know what you do and partly because of the scale of your company/business vs my own).
- My initial take when you mentioned that you had 1000 people all trying to attend a call is that it sounds like your business is in need of someone to help rethink the business processes (like a consultant). Thinking in realtime, it seems like ANY meeting of 1000 people is much more like a lecture from one or few to many instead of an interactive discussion. If that's the case, there are plenty of more modern tools (basically some kind of video/broadcast solution with realtime text-based Q&A would work better than a conf call). Hell, even Amazon's twitch streaming platform would work better and there MUST be a private/enterprise equivalent for one-to-many discussions. Think of services used by companies for earnings calls.

- Why are there 51 people in a room in the first place? WHY must they be centralized? If the job involves some kind of dispatch (tasks come in, people go out) that could all be virtualized.

- Why are a bunch of people connected to one remote access platform? DO they use random clients or company supplied laptops?

In my business, I work with 15-20 people regularly but different people for different tasks/opportunities/projects. Any one meeting is more like 3-8 people. Customer meetings are 5-10 people. Very rarely do they climb above that but they are also mostly interactive (they asked questions and one of my team answers them). Zoom/WEBEX/etc all work quite well as we present a presentation and discuss things. If something needs to be shown, we can share our desktop and show them some code/technology/whatever. My work is almost exclusively done with Outlook, Word, Excel. One new tool we use a lot now is that we have a MS Sharepoint workspace that allows us to share spreadsheets with multiple collaborators in realtime (like google sheets) but the data remains in our control (vs on Google) so the security people are happy.

On the R&D side, we use an internal VPN solution (connects to our company owned gateway), and our special sauce remains on our servers but accessible by the engineers remotely from their laptops at home (instead of their laptops at work). Build/simulation/workhorse servers in the datacenter do the heavy lifting so the laptop clients dont need to be that heavy.

Interesting difference in work styles.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
PM with details sent to ya gunn.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
When I was working at San Bernardino County District Attorney's Office IT Dept. our infrastructure team had setup a remote VMWare Desktop Infrastructure where it basically required the user to access a URL on whatever machine they were connecting from which required them to login. Once logged in, it would interface with our servers at our location where a virtual desktop would be spun up on the server. This VMWare environment would be loaded up with everything that the user need: MS Office 360, MS Teams, their home drive, intranet, as well as secure access to both San Bernardino County Sheriff's criminal databases and State of California court files amongst other things. The VMWare environments were needed mainly for those things as the "less secure" VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) only allowed users access to their home drive and the intranet. For meetings and conference calls, we were using Skype.

Now that I'm with Human Services, the level of complexity that most people require for remote work is just their VPN, which continues to be Cisco AnyConnect. I'm not really sure what people in higher tiered positions use in addition to Cisco AnyConnect as how we say in government, that's "above my pay grade".

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Anyone consider companies which won't survive CV19 and the govt won't likely bail out (like a bank, auto mfg, or airline)?

I'm thinking about shorting GameStop.
GME

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Pfft. Game Stop?! Damn millennials. Hell yeah, short that sh!t. I'm amazed they stayed in business before this. I don't know a thing about gaming but one would think that the games can be purchased online and downloaded without the need for a physical copy.

These are the same people who partied on the Florida beaches and, no doubt, spread the virus among themselves and then will proceed to take it home to their families and home communities.

Florida man ... I mean the Governor of that state FINALLY, under pressure, imposed restrictions yesterday morning.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
"Those figures [job loss numbers] are expected to be so bad, in fact, that the Trump administration, according to several media reports, has asked state officials to delay releasing precise counts. "

but of course they did

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Pfft. Game Stop?! Damn millennials. Hell yeah, short that sh!t. I'm amazed they stayed in business before this. I don't know a thing about gaming but one would think that the games can be purchased online and downloaded without the need for a physical copy.These are the same people who partied on the Florida beaches and, no doubt, spread the virus among themselves and then will proceed to take it home to their families and home communities.
  1. In their defense, most millennials are taking this situation more seriously than boomers. The frustration millennials have with older people not taking coronavirus precautions seriously
Anecdotally, I know more younger people taking this situation seriously than I see older folks. My other teammates were still planning to race in the Mexican 1000 up until they postponed it 2 days ago. I had to really push my parents to stay in more.

These spring breakers are children. Generation Z. The Republican adults should have taken more control and shut this stuff down more quickly. Instead, at least the US senators, were too busy liquidating their stock positions.

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
Florida spring breakers are and always have been self absorbed spoiled drunken horny stupid assholes. It’s not just a gen Z thing. Millennials, Xers and boomers would have been just as bad in their day or worse under these circumstances.

I suspect older gamers are keeping GameStop afloat in this day and age due to the aeformentioned downloadability. Luckily last time I was at a GameStop social distancing shouldn’t be an issue as it was about as densely packed with customers as RadioShack in their final days. I’m amazed they’ve stayed open this long. (That said I do prefer physical copies as they aren’t mercy to patches, but unless it’s one of the very infrequent games I want on release day I’ll just buy a used copy on ebay.)

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
  1. In their defense, most millennials are taking this situation more seriously than boomers. The frustration millennials have with older people not taking coronavirus precautions seriously
Anecdotally, I know more younger people taking this situation seriously than I see older folks. My other teammates were still planning to race in the Mexican 1000 up until they postponed it 2 days ago. I had to really push my parents to stay in more.

These spring breakers are children. Generation Z. The Republican adults should have taken more control and shut this stuff down more quickly. Instead, at least the US senators, were too busy liquidating their stock positions.
Sorry, yeah, Gen Z. Anyway, they're not as invincible as they think they are. They're playing Russian roulette with their health and the lives of their parents and grandparents.

Per the article below, they have a 38% chance of getting sick enough to need to be admitted to a hospital and a 50% chance after that of becoming sick enough to end up in intensive care and a .02% chance of dying - two times that of the regular flu. This and the mortality rate of males is twice that of females. (Men are twice as likely to die from this as women according to the numbers from the outbreak in Italy in combination with the Chinese numbers.) Those are odds that I, personally, wouldn't want to gamble against.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Perhaps (young) males are more susceptible to this because because we feel "invincible" in many different ways and do a bunch of dumb sh!t around this? Or perhaps we are in more industries that have been deemed "essential" and therefore, are more frequently exposed to contagion?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My stocks are all currently in the "tank". FML. Good thing I've got 25 years to come back from this. Play the long game folks 😎

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
Perhaps (young) males are more susceptible to this because because we feel "invincible" in many different ways and do a bunch of dumb sh!t around this? Or perhaps we are in more industries that have been deemed "essential" and therefore, are more frequently exposed to contagion?
You misread that. Young males are not more susceptible. The consensus is that ALL males are more likely to die from this than all females, regardless of age.

My stocks are all currently in the "tank". FML. Good thing I've got 25 years to come back from this. Play the long game folks 😎
Yup. Play the long game (Like I have a choice at this point. LOL)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Back to stocks/falling knives

PCG - we discussed this earlier but it looks like they copped a plea deal. The management will be the same dirtbags but it doesn't look like they will be broken up. I bought in today but stock is up a few more % (total gain today -- I didn't buy at the bottom -- 12%). I think they've hit bottom here but do you research and decide for yourself

RCL & CCL - I'm down 70% on these.
I think both might be at the bottom as well. RCL just jumped up 10% after securing a line of credit to keep them solvent while their boats are not being used. CCL has moved up and down like bitcoin BUT its cheap enough that i will probably just double my position and halve my dollar cost average for giggles.

HOw ironic would it be if these idled cruise ships were used as hospitals for CV19 patients?

241 - 254 of 254 Posts