TCCoA Forums banner

361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
I bought EKSO on 2/6 at .39 and sold it on 2/28 at .29 on a stop loss. Yeah, good for you! It was a YOLO investment for me. I'm kicking myself for setting that stop loss. Glad you made some money on it! You're welcome for the recommendation! :p
I forget what my actual purchase price was. I just know that after the reverse split took effect, the adjusted purchase price turned out to be $4.44/share. Up until today, their share price has fluctuated from the low $3 range to just below my break even. Then, today's shares closed at $7.30. I've set a stop loss for $6.50 just to make sure I still come out ahead on them if they do start sliding back down. And after today's news on EKSO, some analysts are expecting a range anywhere from $8 to $13 for their share price. I'll also be sure to adjust my stop loss upwards if their share price does continue to move upwards. There's no need to have unnecessary losses now, right? :)

And thank you!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I daytraded EKSO and VXRT today in a virtual account in a million dollar game and made $3100 and $2600 respectively, and also sold my short position in Wirecard that I opened Monday.

I can't afford the time in the day or the fortitude to daytrade with real money. I can't manage that stress and still have a day job.
I agree completely. Any move I make, even with options, I want to execute and then not worry about.

All these kids setting up complex spreads they barely understand (hell, I barely understand) with borrowed money seem totally crazy to me. Also, while I'm still doing my own taxes (vs paying someone else to deal with them), minimizing the number of transactions I make saves me real time/stress every April 15th (or in this case, July 15th).

-g
I forget what my actual purchase price was. I just know that after the reverse split took effect, the adjusted purchase price turned out to be $4.44/share. Up until today, their share price has fluctuated from the low $3 range to just below my break even. Then, today's shares closed at $7.30. I've set a stop loss for $6.50 just to make sure I still come out ahead on them if they do start sliding back down. And after today's news on EKSO, some analysts are expecting a range anywhere from $8 to $13 for their share price. I'll also be sure to adjust my stop loss upwards if their share price does continue to move upwards. There's no need to have unnecessary losses now, right? :)

And thank you!
Does your trading platform have the option of a trailing stop? Instead of an absolute stop of $6.50, you set a trailing stop of (Price - $1) or (Price - x%). If Price goes up, Tstop goes up. If price dips, TSTOP stays still. When the price swings down by the target x%, you get knocked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree completely. Any move I make, even with options, I want to execute and then not worry about.

All these kids setting up complex spreads they barely understand (hell, I barely understand) with borrowed money seem totally crazy to me. Also, while I'm still doing my own taxes (vs paying someone else to deal with them), minimizing the number of transactions I make saves me real time/stress every April 15th (or in this case, July 15th).
I haven't even bothered with options and I think it's better for me that way. The complete lack of a barrier to entry in Robinhood was a joke. I told a friend yesterday that I feel strange for being a retail investing veteran compared to all these chasers who picked this up in the last couple of months. Another friend sent me a referral link for his RH account and I just laughed, thinking to myself, I prefer my real brokerage firm.

As insane as it was to see the performance of EKSO and VXRT today and actually take part in it, even with fake money and an extremely high cost basis for 20 minutes and half a day respectively, I can't see myself stomaching a whole day of actual trading like that for a multitude of reasons.

I'm sure I could do fine given enough time and lessons learned, but I'm too risk averse now after previous mistakes made outside of my large/mega cap tech and financial services wheelhouse.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Does your trading platform have the option of a trailing stop? Instead of an absolute stop of $6.50, you set a trailing stop of (Price - $1) or (Price - x%). If Price goes up, Tstop goes up. If price dips, TSTOP stays still. When the price swings down by the target x%, you get knocked out
It does, but I'm not versed on how to use it currently.

Though, I think you just taught me how to use it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Does your trading platform have the option of a trailing stop? Instead of an absolute stop of $6.50, you set a trailing stop of (Price - $1) or (Price - x%). If Price goes up, Tstop goes up. If price dips, TSTOP stays still. When the price swings down by the target x%, you get knocked out.
I'm trying to figure out what to do here for trailing stop loss. What options do I select?

Screenshot_20200626-094903~2.png

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
It does, but I'm not versed on how to use it currently.

Though, I think you just taught me how to use it.
1) I think you should look at trailing stop % vs $.
  • As setup it looks like incorrectly set your trail is $8 less than the current price. That means that the TSTOP get triggered until the price drops to $9 - $8 = $1. I don't think you want that.
  • I recommend looking at percentage vs $. This way, as the share price grows, the distance between your TSTOP and the current price grows. $1 drop means 10% on a $10 share but 1% on a $100 share.
Click on the ? to confirm.

2) Based on "Last, Bid, or Aask"
On this, LAST means the price of the last transaction for EKSO.
BID means the CURRENT price you can get because someone is willing to pay EKSO
ASK means the CURRENT price someone wants to get for EKSO share.
Both BID and ASK can get distorted in a fast moving market. Lets say the market found out that EKSO's CEO spent all their money on hookers and blow and the company's price is in free fall.
IN that scenario, lets use $8 as your target tstop:
  • BID might be people trying to push the price down so they might bid $7.
  • ASK might be trailing b/c current owners are watching their value erode and don't want to be dragged down. They might still be at $8.50 or $9 when the "real" buyers are at $8. IF you tie your tstop to the ASK price, once the other sellers in the market decide that that they have to take $8 the "real buyers" might only be offering $7.50.
  • The closest thing you'll see to the current value of EKSO would be the last transaction. This means that both a buyer and seller were satisfied that $8 was sufficient BUT if the market is falling, the next buyer might only be willing to pay $7.90.
- Read up on how your broker works. It may be that if the tstop is triggered, your order goes in as a market order. In that case, Great. Set it to LAST and you'll have a market order to take the next buyer after the LAST transaction hits your floor tstop (call it $8 in this example)

- I think etrade gets more complicated. You can set your order if you hit your TSTOP to go out as a limit order. This way if the LAST transaction is hits your floor, you will only take a deal if the next market order is say no less than 3% less (or the number you set) than the floor (so the last price hits $8, my order would go out to sell at any price above $7.76). This will also prevent you from getting hit with "flash crashes" -- where some idiot accidentally enters and says they will sell their shares @ $1 when they wanted to sell at the market price is $10 (**** happens).

- If you use LAST transaction and your order goes out at market, a flash crash might trigger your order to go out at market.. but the chances of multiple people fat fingering and selling mistake orders so will be unlikely. Therefore, if the system sees the last price as $1, your order goes out at market and you'll get the next buyer offering a fair price (whatever that is).

ASSUMPTION: I don't see a limit option so I'm assuming the tstop triggered order goes out at market. You should confirm that.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)
My last post was on my phone through my broker's app. Right now I'm on PC, using my broker's actual website, looking at the options for limit loss trades. I didn't place / change the limit loss order earlier because I still don't know enough on how to make appropriate changes.

The stop loss is currently set to $6.50 as I mentioned yesterday, and I wanted to change the trailing stop loss to start at $8 as EKSO share price jumped from yesterday's close of $7.30 to an open of $9.99 this morning. With the trailing loss, I'd like to change the loss limit amount to be set at $8, or $1.77 less than today's closing price. I'd gather you understood what I meant by the $8 I posted on my earlier screenshot. If I can't change it, perhaps a percentage amount lower than today's stop loss would work better? Setting the stop loss to 8% is right a $7.99 price.

There is also a nifty graph with slider of what I want to do for my stop loss, but I think that's based on a dollar amount rather than a percentage amount.

These are screenshots from the actual website trying to make changes through the website. Based on how this works using the actual website, it calculates how much profit I'll make using each of these variables and I think percentage is what I actually want. I won't know for sure though until the stock price changes on Monday.

EDIT:

Screenshots removed.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
CDB:
Please keep in mind that I am not certified financial planner nor do I have a fiduciary duty (responsibility to act in your best interest) to anyone here but myself. I merely share what opinions and knowledge I have here because a) I view you folks as friends and b) writing out what Im thinking helps me plan my own moves during this tumultuous times.

Especially with stocks with smaller costs/share, the advice given to me is to always set your tstops for stocks you want to hold longer term to >10% delta. This is because of the volatility of the stock AND because a lot of other more short term oriented folks set their tstops to 10% because theyve reached the point where they want to harvest their crop. Think of it like a broccoli plant. The longer you let it grow, the bigger the head will grow but as soon as it starts to flower, the food part will lose quality dramatically.

So ask youself - are you in harvest or growth mindset with this holding? With my position in TSLA, I split the difference. IIRC, I set the half to -3% (to harvest) and 50% of the holding to -16% (in case it grew). The first half triggered within 3 min of opening and the second triggered within 3 hours (everyone else was harvesting).

Looking at EKSO's candle chart the stock seems to vary by +/- 10% in one day of trading (didn't analyze fully -- just looked at a few days ranges and did some quick math). I suspect if you put -10%, you will get knocked out on MON. If you want off the rollercoaster, consider a smaller number. If you want to stay on, put a bigger #. Or split your number of shares.

Last Q: You mentioned RH. Is this a taxable or tax deferred acct you are gambling with (lets not pretend EKSO is anything but gambling)? If you are still eligible for ROTH IRAs, you really should consider funding both you and your wifes to the max annually ($4.5K ea). Tax free growth and you won't have to worry about whether this move or that move will cost you tax $$$ or headaches at EOY. After a few years, you may find that your ROTH/rollover accts will give you enough room to take any position you want (up to your level of comfort) without risking an overall asset allocation strategy. All of my individual holdings outside of ESPP shares are in my tax deferred accts and my brokerage accts hold my tax free bond funds and cash. When the market goes back to normal, the LAST money i put into the market will be in my taxable accts and these will go to large funds b/c they tend to be pretty tax efficient. This leaves me open to using the cash in other places if I do find other opps (like real estate). Its technically possible to invest tax free money in preIPO placements, private debt, and other stuff but when I last looked at it, you had to go through specialized IRA holding companies which charge annual fees on the order of $600/yr. Worth it if you have a few million to invest maybe, but not for me.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I understand what you mean on the first part re fiduciary.

Re account type, this account is strictly taxable gambling at the moment. IMO it doesn't hold enough value for me to worry on how much I'll be getting taxed on it. At least for now. The two times I've gotten a fair chunk of change out from gambling winnings out of this account, I set aside ~35% of said winnings in a separate account just in case I do end up owing taxes at EOY.

For retirement purposes, I've got my pension through my employer and I've also got my separate 457b account setup. Both those accounts are growing fairly decently and charts on both have me retiring at age 66 despite current market conditions.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I understand what you mean on the first part re fiduciary.

Re account type, this account is strictly taxable gambling at the moment. IMO it doesn't hold enough value for me to worry on how much I'll be getting taxed on it. At least for now. The two times I've gotten a fair chunk of change out from gambling winnings out of this account, I set aside ~35% of said winnings in a separate account just in case I do end up owing taxes at EOY.

For retirement purposes, I've got my pension through my employer and I've also got my separate 457b account setup. Both those accounts are growing fairly decently and charts on both have me retiring at age 66 despite current market conditions.
So this is a mistake. Im not talking about your 457b or other retirement accts
  • Im talking about your play money. You have some money to invest. You dont need it. Lock it up in the ROTH IRA and dont give the govt the 35%. I appreciate you helping us out here but the headache of tracking trades AND paying the govt 35% goddamned percent is NOT doing CDBs family any favors.
  • You already have a house so you really don't need this money near term. If you did, you really shouldn't be playing with penny stocks and EKSO
  • Even with a free IRA, you can do a whole helluva a lot short of the RE/private investment I mentioned. You can sell options and you can day trade to your hearts content (i wouldnt). All without having to worry about tracking tax expenses and wash sales.
  • Its not about having enough. Its about saving your expenses.
  • I recently moved all of my 401K future contributions from traditional to ROTH because I strongly believe my tax burden along with most others will go up in 20 yrs when I retire. It sucks to pay taxes now but that income will now grow tax free.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
My EKSO sold on the open, lol. I managed to change my stop loss from $6.50 to a more conservative $7.50 (from my $8 I previously wanted). It was a nice little 59.2% profit :). Thank you Ron!
____

Q1: What's the point of owning stocks that don't pay dividends besides the "buy low, sell high" thing?

Q2: How much dividend return earning stock would be necessary in order to have quarterly income equal to have a, say the cell phone, bill (assuming $100) paid?

Doing math on Q2, assuming an annual dividend yield of $1.50/share, one would have to own 266 shares minimum, in order to come up with the quarterly $100. Is that right?

Q3: Which stock strategy would you guys prefer to take? I understand that there are more strategies, but looking at just these that I'm presenting....
  • Owning fewer quantity of shares but have a more diverse portfolio? Intention to later purchase more shares of selected company. - Understand less risk is involved
  • Owning more quantity of shares but have a less diverse portfolio? Intention to use gains to later purchase shares of other companies. - Understand more risk is involved

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My EKSO sold on the open, lol. I managed to change my stop loss from $6.50 to a more conservative $7.50 (from my $8 I previously wanted). It was a nice little 59.2% profit :). Thank you Ron!
____

Q1: What's the point of owning stocks that don't pay dividends besides the "buy low, sell high" thing?

Q2: How much dividend return earning stock would be necessary in order to have quarterly income equal to have a, say the cell phone, bill (assuming $100) paid?

Doing math on Q2, assuming an annual dividend yield of $1.50/share, one would have to own 266 shares minimum, in order to come up with the quarterly $100. Is that right?

Q3: Which stock strategy would you guys prefer to take? I understand that there are more strategies, but looking at just these that I'm presenting....
  • Owning fewer quantity of shares but have a more diverse portfolio? Intention to later purchase more shares of selected company. - Understand less risk is involved
  • Owning more quantity of shares but have a less diverse portfolio? Intention to use gains to later purchase shares of other companies. - Understand more risk is involved
Q1:
* Think of your net worth as one large bucket and your incomes are the key things that fill the bucket. IMO, everything you do should be in the context of the bucket as a whole -- not just one account or another account. I caught myself making this mistake years ago and it probably cost me a good chunk of appreciation. This means if you think that AAPL is a great deal, you might not want to buy more with your self directed acct if you already own a good chunk with the funds in your mutual funds.

* Everything I've read says that diversity is the #1 thing you should address:
  • IIRC, you are in govt/IT and your wife is in healthcare which means that your income is subject to less cyclical risk than my family's income (which is based on semiconductors/consumer spending and pharma/biotech). In your situation, you might gravitate towards investments that are MORE cyclical. This doesn't mean put 100% of your money in tech stocks.
  • In another friends example, the wife is in marketing/dotcom and the husband is in oil. For them, redirecting investments towards more stable businesses is similar to my own.
* Stocks can also be part of compensation. I don't want to leave 10% of my after tax income in the company that pays >50% of our family income (fills the bucket) but to capture a 15% discount given by my company, I'll take hit to cashflow. You better believe that i will diversify this investment when the timing is right (possible every 6 months). A friend of mine works for a private company and was an early employee. His initial stock grants were at 11c/share and the last fund raising round was @ $9/share. That's great for him but the downside is that a LOT of his wealth is tied up in his private stock (which is not fungible like a company that has IPOd) so he's kind of tied up.

* Finally, stocks can be used as an income stream using options. If you had blocks of 100 shares, you can sell out of the money calls (meaning if the current price is $10, you can sell the option to buy the shares @ $15 for some set period). If you would be happy with $15, great. You are effectively trading any appreciation over your strike price within this period for a guaranteed premium some speculator is willing to pay you. Even if the price never changes (or drops), you keep the premium. Yield can be calculated as Premium / Cost Basis for 100 shares over the time period you are committed. You can do near term calls farther out of the money so if the stock rises dramatically, you won't be so worried about tracking the stocks daily. I'm a big fan of research, set it, and forget it.

Q2:
Dividends are tricky as the yield numbers are always calculated in terms of the current share price. So if a stock gets hammered per share yet they pay the same dividend, it looks AWESOME because the % yield is good. If you are already an owner of a stock and its underwater, consider looking at the dividend yield in terms of your own cost basis might help you decide if its worth keeping or cutting your losses (who cares if it pays 10% yield based on a $10 share price if YOUR cost basis is $20). If your cost basis is lower than the current share price, looking at dividend vs current stock price will help you decide if its worth moving onto something with higher appreciation potential.

Past dividends are never a guarantee of future dividends -- esp as companies incomes are getting slammed (see REITs or Oil companies).
Dividends are always guaranteed as a cents/share not a % of the share price (even though people like to talk about yield).
So if a stock pays $1, you'd need 100 shares to get $100. However, this is pre-tax money so you'll need to factor in your income tax (state+fed). in CA, call that 35% for you (approx). So in order to pay a $100 cellphone bill, you really need to get $135/mo.

Dividends are paid quarterly. Using the example of a high yielding REIT like EARN:

27c/share * 4 = $1.08/yr
You need $135/mo x 12 months = $1620 / $1.08 = 1500 shares.
EARN trades at $10.09 so that's $15,135 you'd have tied up to make your monthly cellphone bill.

Using a tax free fund like VCITX
Yield 2.78% so for $1200/yr to pay your bill youd need roughty $43K tied up in VCITX.

Q3: For me, diversity has been the driving tool across my entire portfolio. To me, the size of your position in a single company vs your entire portfolio matters most than individual stock price. I use 5% as my max limit (no stock should be more than 5% of my net worth).
Q: Do you know where all your money is?

The only time I've cared about the # of shares I owned is when looking at options; you need to have 100 shares of anything to sell covered calls or the cash to buy 100 shares to deal with selling cash covered puts. You can't afford 100 shares of TESLA? Fine, buy an ETF with TSLA exposure. Don't fall into the fallacy of well I really want X but I should buy Y instead. That might work for soap and detergent but for stocks, that's a risky proposition (plenty of people bought AMD as "poor man's Intel" or are probably looking at NKLA as poor man's TSLA).

"Almost" can't afford it? consider selling a put using your cash to back up the transaction. If the price of the stock drops to your target price, you'll get it. If not, you keep the premium given.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Well this is an interesting article. I doubt this affects the gold market but it is pretty interesting to wonder how many other companies had similar bits of backdoor looting going on.
Curiously enough, this also came out of Wuhan.
Since the WSBets/RH crowd loves betting on bankrupt companies like Hertz and AMC, will they also start bidding up KGJI?

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Wow! A friend of mine who's into the metals market told me years ago that this kind of trickery is not uncommon using Tungsten cores. Plating less precious metals is (apparently) common.

Supposedly they've also been found among the gold stacks at Fort Knox. The Chinese got the idea (or the bars themselves) from the U.S. Either scenario wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Wow! A friend of mine who's into the metals market told me years ago that this kind of trickery is not uncommon using Tungsten cores. Plating less precious metals is (apparently) common.

Supposedly they've also been found among the gold stacks at Fort Knox. The Chinese got the idea (or the bars themselves) from the U.S. Either scenario wouldn't surprise me.

I had a friend of mine suggest that the ratio between silver and gold is out of whack and an opportunity lies there. I explained that I had very little interest in gold or silver because of its lack of fungibility (hard to transact and subdivide). He was unphased.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

I'm not sure VIewzone is a credible news source. Other articles from their website:

On the 2012 doomsday (kinda late)

Apparently, even if they have the same density, there are several noninvasive inspection techniques to detect plated or cored bars
Its fairly quick to do an ultrasonic scan to see if the velocity changes going through the bar.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
So a few days ago, after being introduced to Webull by CDB, I decided to open an account. Why not?
Initial thoughts:
1) Open an acct, get a free share of something worth $2.50-$250. Deposit $100, get another share worth $12-1400
2) I did so and was granted 1 share of Ford (F) @ $6 and Regions Financial Bank (RF) @ $10.81 (just under their $12). If you deposited the minimum and held it for 30 days, that's like $16.81 / $100 for 8 weeks (allow for time for the deposit, allow for time to get the shares, and min holding time = APY 97% (for me at least)

Feedback
  • $0 trades like RH. IRA is an option.
  • Everyone wants to be a bloomberg terminal. Black theme is possible
  • Initial feeling: UI is kind of a mess. Watchlist seems kinda buggy. I tried to delete the junk they wanted me to track (like their parent company, I forget what it was) and add some individual stocks I want to track using the "Add Symbol" option right on the middle of the screen... and it didn't work. I ended up searching for each item using a second search box in the upper right corner (why two? I dunno). When the short form info showed up on the right hand column, I then clicked on the Star Icon (not really intuitive). I was then able to build a new watchlist i called Gunn's Watchlist (originally named My Watchlist which added confusion b/c its the same name as the default one), and then delete the original "My Watchlist". Yeah, its kind of a mess.
  • You can overlay a bunch of financial indicators for technical traders
  • Most of my experience with a order terminal has been with pro.coinbase.com. Different commodity being traded, but same idea. With CBP, you could see the equivalent of level 2 trading info by seeing the orders on each side of a line so you can see how many bids are being placed below a band of market activity, how many asks are above that line, and a whole DMZ area where orders are being matched up and filled. As you "zoom in" on shaving the prices (the aggregation), you would see a whole mes of activity and if you zoomed out (instead of 1c spread you'd look at 10c), things would calm down a bit. This way, as a trader, you could see how many real orders are pushing the prices up/down
- In comparison, I think Webull apes this look but its a) not as realtime and b) demarcation is set at the penny level vs shaving it further and c) on an actively traded stock like AAPL, I'm seeing updates every few seconds. On a less traded ticker, say YOLO, it was like every 15 sec. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of Webull but its not something I necessarily care about as I'm not a day trader.

- Need to check the options interface but I doubt I will move the $$$ from eTrade to these guys to sell puts like I've done with eTrade just to save 65c/contract.

Bottom Line: Could be a suitable alternative to RH. They also offer margin accts but I don't use that feature (4x for day traders for 6.99% down to 4%).

If anyone wants to try it out, PM me and I'll be happy to send you a referral link.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You guys see TSLA this week? Crazy. I know FOMO is a thing but who looks at TSLA's market cap of $225B and says "gee, this looks cheap."

FWIW, Toyota is at $204B with a worldwide production of 10M cars. TSLA made 367K in 2017.
LG CHEM is the largest battery mfg in the world. and its worth $23.9B (100 GWH in 2019)
#2 is BYD at $15.4B and #3 is Panasonic with $31.8B.

In cooperation with panasonic, TSLA's Gigafactory 1 makes 23GWH (capacity is 35GWH).

How is TSLA worth about as much as Toyota and LG Chem?
-g

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
You guys see TSLA this week? Crazy. I know FOMO is a thing but who looks at TSLA's market cap of $225B and says "gee, this looks cheap."

FWIW, Toyota is at $204B with a worldwide production of 10M cars. TSLA made 367K in 2017.
LG CHEM is the largest battery mfg in the world. and its worth $23.9B (100 GWH in 2019)
#2 is BYD at $15.4B and #3 is Panasonic with $31.8B.

In cooperation with panasonic, TSLA's Gigafactory 1 makes 23GWH (capacity is 35GWH).

How is TSLA worth about as much as Toyota and LG Chem?
-g

I bought quite a bit of TSLA at ~745 back in March right before the COVID crash. After it dropped I sunk the rest of my cash into it, picking up 5 more shares at $400 on 17 March. I'm so happy with TSLA. Part of that rapid price climb last week is continued (another) short squeeze as they lose out again on an earnings call. TSLA is a force to be reckoned with.

They are so much more than a car maker. Ultimately TSLA will be another Trillion dollar company a la Apple or Amazon. That is what they're looking at.

S&P 500 index inclusion is right around the corner for TSLA (pending S&P 500 Committee approval) and that is also driving the price up.

They are selling all the zero emission vehicle (ZEV) credits that they accumulate as a by-product of their sales to ICE manufactures (Covered at 4:30 in the video below). For example, Fiat-Chrysler has an agreement to buy some 2 Billion dollars worth of ZEV credits from Tesla!

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
361 - 380 of 390 Posts