TCCoA Forums banner

101 - 120 of 638 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Yea, I've had those poor choices too. When in doubt speculate on the LEGAL company! LOL ... Hell at $9 a share you could have picked up many shares for cheap. I ran into the same situation with NVIDIA. I was looking seriously at it back when it was $25 a share back in 2015. Still kicking myself over that one. I did eventually buy some of the stock in 2017 at $101 and $108 and again at $244 in 2018. That last trade at $244 is still underwater however, I'm not concerned. Have faith and take the leap!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I bought Boeing on Monday. I'm going to sit on it and hope they can get their 737-MAX thing figured out. It's not looking good in the short and medium term though since articles are popping up each saying that various companies are getting settlements on, essentially, breached contracts on Boeing's behalf. Another article popped up saying that 3,000 Boeing employees are being reassigned because of the 737-MAX.

Other companies to watch out for, I think, are those companies who have government contracts, and due to this whole Iran thing that just started last week, they may grow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Monday, the 30th? If so ~ 326 is a good entry point for Boeing.

I may be a bottom feeder on corporate issues, Boeing's issues are one thing, but I'm not going to buy defense stocks on the chance of conflict. That is blood money on a whole other level.

Oil stocks may be worth looking at but even if the supply is cut from the middle east they'll just uncap the fracked wells here in the States and price gouge us on our own oil and gas.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
No it was $332 when I bought. So it was on the 2nd that I bought Boeing stock.

Isn't Boeing also a defense contractor?

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Yeah, One division of it is defense. Oh well ... I bough based on their civilian aircraft which is the majority of what they produce.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I'm not going to buy defense stocks on the chance of conflict. That is blood money on a whole other level.
A Majority of my stock holdings are in defense contractors .. I'm making a killing right now. :censored::censored::censored:

Boeing (BA)
Lockheed Martin (LMT)
Northrop Grumman (NOC)
General Dynamics (GD)
Raytheon (RTN)
BAE Systems (LON:BA)
BAE Systems (BAESY)

BAE also still pays my fathers retirement pension from when he worked for United Defense. :censored::censored::censored:

NVIDIA - When I drove through Santa Clara to watch Star Wars, I noticed they started construction on another huge building .. the next block over from their huge microchip themed flagship building. They are still growing, and I would hold on to that for the long term.

No it was $332 when I bought. So it was on the 2nd that I bought Boeing stock.
BA was $324 up until the end of the year .. $332 isn't bad for an entry level point .. it was about the same price last year at this time, and by March 2019 it was at $440 before the stock took a sh!t. Hold out until they get the 737's up again and a little bit longer, its going to come back around.

On investing for the long term .. if you have money to keep adding over time. $50 a week or whatever you can spare (beer money).. is going to provide a LOT more growth over time than trying to "speculate" on buying at low times if it just keeps increasing 20-30% year after year like some of these defense contractors have been doing (or Tech, whatever you follow). Sure if you have a large chunk of change to play with, definitely invest at the low times when you see them - but if you are on a budget and trying to set a little aside for the LONG term (5-10 Years), you are better off just buying whenever you get spare change on solid performers.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Cool. Speaking of new construction, I noticed when I was in Salt Lake City early last year that Adobe (ADBE) was also adding a huge new building there. That's another company - who are still growing - that I missed out on. They're also worth considering.

Yes, As dDUBb said, dollar cost averaging works well too I've been doing that with the DRIPs I have in Exxon (XOM) and Duke Energy (DUK) for years. They both pay a good and steady dividend that I've been reinvesting since the mid 1990's. XOM is now my largest holding. Duke has also provided me with stock in other companies via acquisitions. I held stock in Spectra Energy (SE) after Duke acquired it in 2002 and I now hold stock in Canadian pipeline operator Enbridge (ENB) after Spectra Energy was acquired by Enbridge in 2016.

I also held just a few shares in Brighthouse Financial (BHF) after Met Life (MET) spun it off in August of 2017. I recently sold those shares to put the money to use elsewhere.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
(TSLA) Tesla - peaked at $470 / Share today. Incredible. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

(ADBE) Adobe - looks like a solid performer from all of the market research I have done. Year after year they are pulling in more profit and revenue, and a steady share growth over the last 5+ years. They have a huge building near where all of the Cisco Systems buildings are at, but no expansion for a LONG time. I have a buddy from the SCCOA who works there, but this guy freaked me out when I was test driving his 95 SC with him and he started telling me about all the heart attack he had recently - I'm thinking this 70 year old guy is going to croak on me while I am driving his car. LOL :oops::oops::oops::oops:

ALL of the major tech companies are based in the area where I live - and being in the construction field gives me a leg up on who is expanding and how much. Right now there is a large scale (MSFT) Microsoft project going on down here. I did another job at INTU (Intuit) a few years back, they also look like a solid performer.

(XOM) Exxon Mobile is your largest holding TM ?? Not something I would Buy into personally, but if I held some- definitely something to Hold or like you are doing DRIP - it seems fairly stable for the long term.

I don't like to move my 401K Retirement pension funds, the Balanced pooled account has been gaining about 10% / year and I keep adding about $26k through voluntary and employer contributions ( this is Dollar cost averaging on a monthly lump sum contribution basis ) On the other hand, the (VYM) Vanguard high dividend yield has been slightly more aggressive and I could have made more gains over time, but I prefer to play it a little safer at 10% growth on the $400k I have in there currently. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
XOM was great ... until it wasn't when the bottom dropped out of oil in 2014. XOM is my largest DRIP holding. My other largest holdings are AAPL, BABA, FB and GOOG.

Well, DOW futures are off 400 points tonight. I bet your defense stocks are really looking up though, after the missile attacks tonight.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I bet your defense stocks are really looking up though, after the missile attacks tonight.
I normally don't pay much attention to the After Hours trading, but yes .. they are ALL up 3 to 4% after the missile strikes ( except Boeing of course ) :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Of course things could change by 630AM (PST) when the markets actually open. I will be checking these out while I am at work, like I do every day .. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Boeing stock down on the open with news of a 737-800 crash that occurred in Iran. With the current US-Iran situation though, I don't think we'll ever know what exactly caused the crash. For all we know, it could have been shot down out of the sky. It could have been mechanical. It could have been.....the list goes on.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
They're saying mechanical. I'm sure aircraft maintenance and inspections over there are less than adequate.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
One article from The Sun says it was potentially shot down? It's circumstantial evidence right now, though.

Whole tragic, nonetheless, it shouldn't affect Boeing any if this is true.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
After looking at the pictures, knowing how the tensions were in Iran at the time and given Iran's "refus[al] to release the black boxes to international authorities." I have no doubt that it was shot down.

So sad. I feel for the families of those aboard.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I don't know .. I don't understand why anybody would shoot down an airplane in their own country ? This does not make sense on any practical "political" levels. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why did you buy (BA) Boeing stock CD's ??? This was not on my list of "recommended stock picks for 2020" .. The only defense stocks I listed were {RTM) Raytheon which is up $8 / share and (NOC) Northrop Grumman which is up $27 / share as of today since the time I posted my short list.

You would have been much better off with (TSLA) Tesla … it was trading peak at $498 today, closed at $492 :p:p:p:p:p … I bought in when TM did and its gained over $100 since last month. This is going to drop I am sure, but for Short term sales its a good time to make money.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Are you cashing TSLA out at ~ 500 ? I tend to hold for the long term. I've never figured out short term trading. I've missed some great opportunities by cashing out too early.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No .. I am going to hold it - the demand is VERY high right now, its going to keep rising. I watch the trends .. I am speculating it will keep rising through February.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Why did you buy (BA) Boeing stock CD's ??? This was not on my list of "recommended stock picks for 2020" .. The only defense stocks I listed were {RTM) Raytheon which is up $8 / share and (NOC) Northrop Grumman which is up $27 / share as of today since the time I posted my short list.
Why? For two reasons:

1. I'm looking at a longer term run with BA and hoping that it bounces up to $500+ after the whole 737-MAX planes. I do plan on cashing my BA holdings out later on.

2. Like TM said, the companies you hold / recommend are being done with blood money. It's something that I have a conscious about. Governments are what don't like each other, not people. I didn't think of it until after TM said so, and I'm glad I bought BA, even though I bought before TM said that.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Sorry to break the news to you - but (BA) Boeing makes weapons also = Blood Money. So don't get all high and mighty on that aspect.

737 crashing .. yeah, people dying. Chock it up to a "learning" experience on behalf of the corporation. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't try to "shame" me with that boomer ideology.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I'm not denying that?

But Boeing isn't strictly a defense contract like the others are. Like TM said, they also have other areas of business. Boeing only has a ~30% revenue stream from defense contracts whereas other companies have a 50% or higher revenue stream from defense contracts.

Basically, it's "less" blood money. ?

101 - 120 of 638 Posts