TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
1) PGE stock seems to have rebounded b/c someone thinks they will get a slap on the wrist instead of being overhauled like they should. I still think they are a turd but in hindsight, maybe I should buy some more bottom feeders like them :)

2) In other news, have you guys seen TSLA? My wife and I were having dinner with a friend and when I commented about TSLA being crazy, he asked me if I had seen it today. I was like, nope, haven't decided what to do with it. He forced me to open my app and well, it's like a bitcoin.

So, I'm pulling the chute. Put trailing stops on my position. 50% of my shares at 3% down (to lock in my profits near where it is now) and 50% of my shares at 16% down (in case it tanks because everyone sees the light and realizes that this company doesn't actually know how to run a car company's supply chain). If things still go up, great. If not, I've had a great run with this one.

All this **** is in my IRA so thankfully, short term cap gains aren't a concern.

Now what?
-g

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
Yeah, TSLA has been on a tear! I'm unsure about pulling the rip cord yet. Yesterday would've been the day to do it!

PCG has has a nice run since it's low of 3.80 on 10/28.

Now what? That's a good question.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I'd put a stop loss on your TSLA shares Ron at your preferred desirable price point, for a "just in case" scenario.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I'd put a stop loss on your TSLA shares Ron at your preferred desirable price point, for a "just in case" scenario.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Both my T-Stops (-3% and -16%) were pulled the very next morning so it was very fortuitous that my wife's friend LMK about how crazy TSLA was doing. I'm happy with the result and the JIC scenario came sooner than expected.

It seems that the 20% spike and subsequent fall is likely due to a "short squeeze" instead of any specific indicator that someone knew something good was happening at this crackpot company. A Short squeeze is apparently when a bunch of short sellers are forced to buy stocks to cover their positions and then encountering an unusually small amount of volume available for sale. Demand spikes and therefore so does the price.

This apparently happened to VW in 2008 when their shares went from 200ish Euros up to 999Euros in less than a week.

Now my next question is at what price does it make sense to buy into TSLA again?
Sub $600?
Sub $500?
Sub $300?

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
I'd look for a 50% retracement which would put the price at about $540. So ... around $500 to $540.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I'm also thinking about my position in FIT.
GOOG's offer was all cash for $7.35/share
It's currently trading at $6.63/share or 70c discount (roughly 9.5%)
Fitbit shareholders approved the sale on 1/14.
If you buy the shares now and hold it until it close sometime in 2020, you'll make 10%.

The discount is because they are worried about regulatory blocking.

If the deal goes south, fitbits stock will drop. Example of this was NXPI's run from $80ish when the QCOM announcment came out to a peak of $124 (higher than the QCOM offer) and then back down to $80 again when it went to hell. That was a much more complicated deal as both were multinationals.

Is 10% ROI worth the risk?

I suspect that with the republicans controlling things and the Dems won't be able to return to power until Jan 2021, there shouldn't be much of a chance that a much bigger company (GOOG) will be blocked from buying Fitbit. It's all in the US so there's less of a risk of worries about China/tradewar interfering.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
I picked up 1,000 share of EKSO Robotics (EKSO) today at .39 a share. I figured what the hell. I'll take a gamble on a robotics Co.

No a 10% ROI isn't worth the risk. Yeah, I remember the NXPI / QCOM offer. I still hold some NXPI stock. I'm up an average of 60% on the holding.

I have no opinion on FIT.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I picked up 1,000 share of EKSO Robotics (EKSO) today at .39 a share. I figured what the hell. I'll take a gamble on a robotics Co.

No a 10% ROI isn't worth the risk. Yeah, I remember the NXPI / QCOM offer. I still hold some NXPI stock. I'm up an average of 60% on the holding.

I have no opinion on FIT.
EKSO sounds like a true gamble. Market cap of $36M
3 analysts say buy with a target of $1.34

HRM.
They made $200K in revenue, have $2.6M in debt.

--
If you like robotics, have you considered IROBOT? They are the market leader in the only robotics market with any real volume (robotic vacuum cleaners) and IRBT is the dominent player in this market. I haven't made any decisions here but it's worth considering.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
Yea, I've looked at iRobot. They're promising too - and much more established.

I've never played penny stocks but I figured what the hell, I'll take a chance on this one. EKSO is still cash negative but has great potential. They have "forged partnerships with world-class institutions like UC Berkeley, received research grants from the Department of Defense and licensed technology to the Lockheed Martin Corporation." AKA - Military Contracts!

Top bionics companies | VentureRadar

FORD Motor Co. is also using EKSO Exoskeleton suits: Ford is using bionic suits to help employees work safer

I was looking at these financials. EKSO BIONICS HOLDINGS, INC. : Financial Data Forecasts Estimates and Expectations | EKSO | MarketScreener

They're working their way from cash negative to cash positive probably within the next three to five years. Worst case scenario I'm out $390, best case scenario they do well and make me filthy rich or get gobbled up by another player in the field who then proceeds to make me filthy rich.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
Researching TSLA tonight. ARK Investments has the following 5 year target range for TSLA. According to the ARK analyst TSLA is three years ahead of any other automaker on both battery technology and their AI chip (Full self-driving cars). Look for TSLA's Battery day in April.

Base case: $7,000
Bear case: $1,500
Bull case: $15,000

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
I agree. I'm looking for that 50% retracement that I mentioned previously. I'll consider buying more at $500 to $540 or less. Fair market value is pegged at ~ $300.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Have you thought about trading on the coronavirus? Certain stocks/categories got hammered and I suspect will bounce back.

RCL and CCL both took hits. It doesn't help when people are quarantined on your ships.

Or consider what stocks could jump as they look to address the coronavirus pandemic.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
I have not considered trading the coronavirus. Even under the best of conditions I'm not a fan of the cruise industry. I may look at some of the affected stocks tomorrow. There's been several articles written on trading the virus. One of these days the next zombie apocalypse pandemic will hit the world. I saw on the news yesterday or tonight (I can't remember exactly when) were the coronavirus deaths have just surpassed those deaths caused by the SARS outbreak.

The videos of government "health workers" in China dragging people out of their homes and forcing other off the street into mobile quarantine boxes on the back of vehicles is very disturbing. Only in a totalitarian society like China can that sort of thing happen. Fortunately, for the rest of the world, that sort of thing can happen in China! God willing they'll get a handle on it soon. Very scary stuff.

Have you traded any of the coronavirus stocks?

In case you haven't seen the video here it is:

Here is the other video.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Coronavirus:
Three Plays

1) Invest in stocks. I went ahead and bought some RCL and CCL. I don't believe in each product (the idea of a cruise its NOT my thing but I also know I'm not their target market). I'm confident that short of a global shutdown of travel, both will "bounce back". I believe this in this more than say Boeing and the hope that they will fix their 737MAX debacle.

RISK - Global pandemic shuts all of this down and the stock plummets further. Will they bounce back quickly or will this take longer? I don't have a crystal ball but I'm NOT planning to go with short term options here but my standard buy and hold strategy.

Invest in Chinese stocks - I do think all of their travel restrictions and overall economy will take a hit BUT the typical ETFs haven't hit the 15-20% drop like these two cruise lines (FXI, GXC, MCHI). It's been more like 5%.
RISK -
Q: How much will China.gov spending kickstart their economy once the CV is beat?
Q: How much do you believe china.gov reported GDP/growth matches reality?

2) Invest in companies fighting Coronavirus.
How much do you believe that this pandemic will affect the stocks of GILD (currently testing an Ebola antivirual to see if it works on CV)

How much will these stocks go up and who will actually come up with a cure/treatment for CV?

3) the world goes to hell. in that case, your extra $$ should go into air purifiers. guns, ammunition, water purifiers, and food. Forget stocks.
Chinese SKS Rifles For Sale by the Crate (I recall seeing these as cheap as $60 in the 90s)

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
The whole stock market is going to tank unless the Chinese get a hand on the virus.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
Cruise ships suck! Even without COV-19 they're floating petri dishes of norovirus and other communicable diseases.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I'm going going to defend the cruisin' lifestyle ;)
I DO know its popular for middle class Americans (and other folk worldwide). Just like chain restaurants.

Neither are longterm holdings for me but FWIW, they are up 2.5% today when the S&P500 and DOW were pretty flat. If/When it bounces back, I'll cash out.

This is DESPITE the news on the Westerdamn ship that TM just posted. I'm sure some people will be freaking out about it. Others will continue to drink and play shuffleboard... until the liquor runs out. Once that happens, if they are not resupplied, I predict be Thunderdome on the poop deck.

Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
BABA and NVDA have earnings reports on the 13th.

I love BABA and believe they have a bright future ahead of them. I'd buy BABA on any dip under $200.

I'd buy NVDA at any price.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts