3,726 Posts
Any 89-97 could have them optionally.

89-95 SC all have rear discs
All with ABS have rear discs
I am sure that all 96/97 Sports have rear discs

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought all 96/97 had rear discs but have no way to prove it, and when I was salvage yard hunting I am pretty sure I found a 96 with rear drums.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
97 was the only year where all cars had rear discs. In 96 could could get rear discs without ABS but drums were still the base brakes. Before 96 rear discs were only available with ABS.

-Miller

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Im looking to ditch my ABS i already turned it off but its taking up space and weight...would finding a 96 with out abs and all i need is the lines right? Or should I just get lines bent to bypass the ABS module??

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
ABS isnt the greatest thing in my opinion. The abs on these cars dosent seem to work as good as it should in all sistuations. I once hit a metal plate on a bridge and had to stop quickly (car in front hauling on brakes lol) and the abs let up for more than a quick sec even thou i wasnt going that fast and there was enough grip to not slide. All in all the abs almost ****ed me over in that situation. I rather beef up the braking with bigger calipers and rotors and ditch the abs. Not to mention this car woulnt see the street too often. Also I have been without abs for 2 years daily driven and i have had no problem.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
the drum cars almost all had traction assist.

why do you not wants ABS?
my car was originally drum and and did not come with traction assist. The main reason i personally hate abs is that in non ideal road conditions it does me more bad than good. I hate haveing to fight it and also if you ever want to add a line lock set up you are going to have to disable it anyway

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I like the ABS in my 2000 Grand Marquis, and the all speed traction control. I have ran into a couple of times that ABS almost put in a bad way were non ABS wouldn't, but I learned. I have only made ABS activate 5 or 6 times. 2 times it was a life saver (being able to steer around oncoming car while attempting to slow down), 2 times it was ugly (one side of car on washboard dirt/gravel, one side on fresh pavement, it just got really dumb and I slid 5x longer than the Flintstones would have), and the others were bedding in the new brake pads.

I was disappointed at first when my 97 Didn't have ABS, but I think I am over that and like it the way it is. I will like it better with the 13 inch Cobra setup up front and the 11.65 Cobra rotors in the rear, but I gotta get some time set aside to do that.

I didn't think traction assist (low speed brake operated) is available unless you have ABS, and in that way you have to have rear discs.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
the drum cars almost all had traction assist.

why do you not wants ABS?
This is completely wrong. Traction assist was only available with ABS which means only rear discs.

-Miller

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
My 95 has abs, rear discs, and trac control. Well it did before the motor fried.

-Joel

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I know ABS has saved my butt a few times in wet weather where I would of been toast trying to pump the brakes and would have stopped long and hit, or locked and slid into the car in front of me. Besides I hate flat spots. lol

I wouldn't think of disabling it on my car.

And yes traction control requires ABS brakes. you couldnt option traction control without automatically getting ABS optioned in too.

I'm under the impression that ALL 97's had four wheel disk however I don't know where I picked that up, but I though it was via Ford literature or tech manuals. I even went back and forth about that with the parts monkey at Autozone when he asked if I had rear disk or drum. Seems he knows without doubt 97's came with drums as standard equipment. I dropped it. You know how they have to save face and be right. lol :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
1) All 97's have rear discs.

2) Rear discs were optional on all mn12's.

3) Rear discs were required for ABS and/or Traction Control.
A. Traction Control uses the ABS circuits to apply the rear brake to the rear wheel that is spinning
B. I have never seen a car that had ABS without Traction control or vice versa.

4) Cars with Drum brakes have neither ABS or Traction Control.

Thats all I know to be certain.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I must be different then, because my insurance guy told me when I 1st got my car insured that according to the VIN I have ABS, but I have drums in the rear. I have no clue!

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 93 LX had ABS according to the insurance company but I can assure you it didnt have them. Also a rear drum car.

My 97 XR7 has ABS and T/C. I hate the ABS in foul weather, its fine when its dry out but especially in the snow it takes waaaaaaaaaaaayyy to long to stop, I can do better myself.

On the same note I hate the traction control as well, I almost always turn it off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts