TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Autozone. Its a round 6 inch buffer thats also a sander. It has the built in holes and dust bag. Has velcro so i attach sanding pads and when i buff(bee a yr been prepping for paint) i attach my buffer pads/cloths. I also have a 10buffer from harbor frieght. Paid 30$ a piece for the buffer ad another 25-40$ in pads.
Box of buff pads.
Box of 1200 grit. 1500 gritt 2000 gritt 320 and 600

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I did lots of research before I did anything. Mostly learned from Junkman on YouTube.

PORTER-CABLE 7424XP dual action polisher

Paired with:

Meguiar's W67DA Dual Action Backing Plate and,
Chemical Guys Hex-Logic 5.5" pads in white, orange, and black

Along with these products:

Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound
Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish
Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant

And of course thoroughly using a clay barring before touching anything!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have a Craftsman with a 10" pad that I bought in the early 90's. In recent years, it has been in the attic as I realized nothing beats good 'ol fashioned elbow grease.

The buffer only really works on the flat surfaces anyway, and is okay for applying a final wax, but for using cleaner wax on a white car to get out minor stains and such, got to do it by hand.

Al

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
That sounds more like a cheapo wax applier/buffer than a DA polisher. I couldn't imagine doing a real paint correction by hand.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A craftsman orbital auto buffer. I think it's a 8 inch model. I haven't used since the early 00's. As a previous poster mentioned nothing beats elbow grease. The polish type buffers are in my opinion are really only at their best on flat panels but they are good for for applying wax or a final polish like swirl remover on large flat panels.

You don't what to confuse these with the high speed 90 degree body shop type buffer that you would use for compounding or leveling paint. These are for the pros and require quite a bit of experience and skill to avoid burning through the the paint.

I'm a big fan off the Craftsman C3 line of cordless tools and recently found out they made a 6 inch cordless buffer which seems great for waxing. They are long since discontinued and were fairly expensive. So they never were big sellers. I WILL find one or two. It's my new quest. My biggest beef with orbital buffers is the cord. No matter how careful you are it seems like it's always falling off your shoulder, landing on a panel or getting wrapped around the spindle. Are there any decent cordless buffers out there suitable for that yearly spring buff job?

I HATE corded body shop buffers. Before clear coat paint having to actually compound a new used car was common. And so was getting the cord wrapped around the spindle of a high speed buffer and watching it get torn from your hands and then skate across your newly painted hood. Good times.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
You don't what to confuse these with the high speed 90 degree body shop type buffer that you would use for compounding or leveling paint. These are for the pros and require quite a bit of experience and skill to avoid burning through the the paint.
As racecougar stated above, you aren't going to correct paint by hand. Conversely, you don't need a high speed polisher to do it either.

A dual action polisher, like the Porter Cable I mentioned above will correct paint. The risk of damage to the paint is very low if you properly wash and clay bar to remove surface contaminants. You'd have to be incredibly lax to actually burn the paint, the dual action prevents that. You can hold it on your hand and nothing's going to happen to your hand.

You don't need to be an expert to do it either. I read a few threads, watched a few videos on YouTube, and had great success the first time I used it on removing/minimizing some fairly prominent scratches on the front fender of my daily driver. Which isn't a flat spot, either!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts