TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone's had luck blasting and polishing -or- painting the factory rims (96-97) and if they come out good enough to be worth the hassle...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
It depends what style rims you have, and what kind of look you are going for, but if you take your time and do it right, a little paint can go a long way. These are stock SC wheels, painted with rattle can flat black, then clearcoat over the whole thing. All told, I probably have about $10 and 2-3 hours into all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used two quarts of Formbys paint stripper to get the paint off of a set of 89 wheels. Aircraft stripper doesnt do much at all. Its a really messy job. Then I drove about 100 miles to a truck stop that I am familiar with that I know has a good polish crew. They did a nice job, and they looked good. Within about 2-3 weeks they looked like poop. They were a constant PIA. If you can find something to seal them with it would help a lot. I should also warn you that the casting finish on the wheels isnt very smooth and requires a lot of cut buffing to get them to look polished. Oh, and it cost me $150 for the first polish job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well F the PITA polishing!!!

I'm gonna go with the paint like in the pic, 'cept maybe try to polish up the lip and see how it turns out.

For some reason I'm not a big fan of big bling rims on these cars..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It depends what style rims you have, and what kind of look you are going for, but if you take your time and do it right, a little paint can go a long way. These are stock SC wheels, painted with rattle can flat black, then clearcoat over the whole thing. All told, I probably have about $10 and 2-3 hours into all 4 wheels.
you copy cat!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I used two quarts of Formbys paint stripper to get the paint off of a set of 89 wheels. Aircraft stripper doesnt do much at all. Its a really messy job. Then I drove about 100 miles to a truck stop that I am familiar with that I know has a good polish crew. They did a nice job, and they looked good. Within about 2-3 weeks they looked like poop. They were a constant PIA. If you can find something to seal them with it would help a lot.
I agree, lots of work getting them cleaned and polished. Not so bad once done and the surface is smooth. I touch them up occasionally with Hipatchie Semi Chrome or Mothers.

And here are some 10 holes on the '85 I done back in 1997, picture taken in 2008.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Get them sand blasted and powdercoated. Any good powdercoating shop should have the abilities to do this. The place i had mine done at up here was able to paint in all sorts of different colours if you so chose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any ideas on refinishing '97 stock SPORT wheels? looks like the clear coat is getting ugly on mine........
I wonder what it would cost to get them chromed?
Chrome fan blades look good, but chrome sports would look better!

·
Registered
32 Posts
paint/polish factory alloys

we do it all the time here, wheels are stripped, polished, painted with epoxy
primer, then base coat/then clear coat just like a fender. wheels need to be sealed with a good "safe for clear coat paint" wax. if the water runs off, it needs
wax, if it beads up like your hood it's okay. will send pictures of my 10 holes
color matched to the car as soon as they are done. been in the wheel business
41 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts