TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be used from an Mark 8 engine to improve performance on an 94-97 T-bird or Cougar?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
The extra 16 valves.

:uppoint: :uppoint: Good answer Scott....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umm... thats not funny, I dont know much about the mod motors, as you can see Im a pushrod guy. So the heads ffrom a mark VIII will increase performance on a t-bird? What about the cams, are they different? How much power will these items make over a stock 2V (arent the cougars/t-birds 2V?)? C'mon guys I need serious answers.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Ummm...he was serious. The heads from a Mark have twice the cams, twice the valves. They are DOHC motors, stock we have SOHC motors. From the factory the Mark engine is rated at 280 bhp, whereas our SOHC motors are rated at 205 bhp.

Did you find a Mark engine or something?

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/overall/cobrav.html

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
To me, it would be foolish to go through the trouble of installing a set of stock pistons. If you want a CR increase take care of that with a good piston manufacturer like CP and you will no longer need to worry about the ring lands and be sure to upgrade the rods as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I came across a Mark VII engine. How much would those Mark VIII heads go for and are they a hot item? Im assuming they would give a SOHC motor about 60hp?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Will the DOHC heads bolt onto a SOHC short-block?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What year Mark VIII's had the DOHC? I'm new to this stuff also, Just got my T-Bird two days ago. Today I was in the junk yard getting a part for my wife's car and ran across a '93 Mark VIII, Would those heads be benificial at all on a '94? Thanks

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
to answer the original question:

for all years mn12s, you can use the rear lower control arms with slight modification or none at all can be used, they're aluminum, as well as the pumpkin
the front seats, maybe the back???, are a direct bolt on, the wheels

for years 89-93 mn12s can also use the e-fan from the mark viii with slight modification to the fan shroud, taking off an inch or so, and some easy wiring, 94-up already fan e-fans, could possibly be an upgrade for 94-97, not sure though

for years 94-97, the driveshaft, flex plate and torque convertor, tranny can be used and as Dr. Frankincougie pointed out, the extra 16 valves (engine swap)

this is all i could think of

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
to answer the original question:

for all years mn12s, you can use the rear lower control arms with slight modification or none at all can be used, they're aluminum, as well as the pumpkin
the front seats, maybe the back???, are a direct bolt on, the wheels

for years 89-93 mn12s can also use the e-fan from the mark viii with slight modification to the fan shroud, taking off an inch or so, and some easy wiring, 94-up already fan e-fans, could possibly be an upgrade for 94-97, not sure though

for years 94-97, the driveshaft, flex plate and torque convertor, tranny can be used and as Dr. Frankincougie pointed out, the extra 16 valves (engine swap)

this is all i could think of

The driveshaft wuould only work if its out of a 93 Mark 8 because it is a 1 piece driveshaft. Just wanted to point that out:D

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Tx_Cat said:

The driveshaft wuould only work if its out of a 93 Mark 8 because it is a 1 piece driveshaft. Just wanted to point that out:D
Any year driveshaft would work. You may not want anything but a one piece '93, but any driveshaft will work.

·
Registered
927 Posts
pln81 said:
What is the weight savings going with that DS? Are there any other benifits?
A question I actually might know the answer to!!!:D

Anyway, it's my understanding that using a Mark drive shaft isn't necessarily about weight savings, but being able to safely remove the speed and/or rev limiter (by adding a chip) and going faster than 105 mph.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
While the Mark shaft is a safer choice I would say if you plan to replace the driveshaft get a MMX shaft from Dennis or something else better then stock. The Mark shafts are prone to vibrations and I should know I have a Mark and an MN12 from hell with a Mark shaft and they both suck past 70. Jerry and I drove from MI to GA and I had to hear it the whole way home about how much they suk and he should know because he was on that build team.

Vibes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did a search on the mark shaft and found that, if I understand correctly, a couple of people got the mark shaft and and had it balanced and it was fine after that (No hidious Vibes).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts