TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until recently i thought the sun was the major reason for the headlights turning yellow.
But today when i went to buy the materials needed to try to clean the headlights the pep boys guy there told me i was completely wrong. He said the cause is from the bulb in the inside of the headlights. He also said that the only way to clean it is from the inside and not the outside.

So is the pep boy guy right or wrong?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
HAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!....ROFL!!...

man thanx i needed that...yes it is caused from the outside..actually the lens is cleaner on the inside than the outside..clean off the outside lens..and if you really ARE hardcore about it take apart the lens from the headlight housing and scrape the old glue out and re-seal it with clear silicone..looks like new...

someone needs to talk to big mike :xpwink:

-Mike

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
porkchop2oo2 said:
someone needs to talk to big mike :xpwink:
hes way ahead of you, mikey :) alex, you should have slapped that pep boys fool like a dirty whore. dont listen to any pep boys, autozone, etc. employees, most of them dont know their *** from a hole in the ground.

·
8,239 Posts
uv rays make the headlights yellow. They get yellow because people don't wax their headlights and protect them.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I agree, but here's the big question:

Why aren't the corner lenses affected?

If the above is true and heat from nighttime driving isn't a factor, then there must be two different platics.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I would agree that the material is different.

My headlights didn't yellow because I kept the black GTS covers on them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
I would agree that the material is different.

My headlights didn't yellow because I kept the black GTS covers on them.
I had black GTS covers on mine and they turned yellow to a point to where I had to buy a new headlight.

That was before i discovered this stuff
http://www.autobarn.net/memiglclplcl.html

and this
http://www.autobarn.net/memiglclplpo.html

This is great stuff. Try this and it should take care of your problem as long as you havn't let it go to long.

·
Registered
890 Posts
big mike said:
dont listen to any pep boys, autozone, etc. employees, most of them dont know their *** from a hole in the ground.

Hey, I take offense to that!!!

I know you said 'most', but first you said 'any'..............................

And if you think the employees are stupid, you should experience the intelligence of the average customer!!!!

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
In this forum, go to the Sylvania Xtra Vision thread. There are some suggestions there on how to clean your lenses. Ulta violet light is the culprit as well as poor maintance. They need to be cleaned and waxed on a regular basis just the same as your car.
Have Fun!! :headbang: :headbang:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
mamberg said:

I know you said 'most', but first you said 'any'..............................

And if you think the employees are stupid, you should experience the intelligence of the average customer!!!!

:rolleyes:
:zwthstpd:

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
just remeber when your going through your stuff to find what you wanna wax them with.....

If its wax.....use it

If its polish....dont

Polish removes the uv pretection stuff coated on the headlights and speeds up the yellowing process and thats the last thing you need on a set of tbird headlights

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
mamberg said:
oops, sorry. i meant to say dont listen to any autozone, pep boys, etc. employees except the ones that post here :D

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
busted

·
Registered
27 Posts
It has been my experience, I could be wrong though, that the reason the headlamp covers turn yellow is not keeping them clean. The heat from the lamps seems to bake the grime into the lense. My wifes car had the plastic lenses, one replaced due to accident and the other could not be cleaned to matched. Body shop told me this.

·
Registered
571 Posts
AlpineBird said:
just remeber when your going through your stuff to find what you wanna wax them with.....

If its wax.....use it

If its polish....dont

Polish removes the uv pretection stuff coated on the headlights and speeds up the yellowing process and thats the last thing you need on a set of tbird headlights

Polish is going to help if the headlights are already yellow. Then you put wax on to protect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts