TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while looking under my car to find a rattle, I noticed that the section between my resonator and 3rd cat had been cut, and apparently slid back together and attatched with a cheap clamp. Well, the clamp isn't holding, and the whole rear exhaust system is just sliding like a sleeve at this section. I've been wanting to get a little better tone out of my otherwise stock exhaust. Will I hear any difference if I take both the 3rd cat and resonator off and just "straight pipe" that section? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on good mufflers, at some point, but need the money first. When you say a difference in tone, do you mean higher, lower, smoother, raspier? I want to eliminate that section anyway when I do the new exhaust, but just want to make sure that until that time arrives, it won't sound like a ricer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
With a stock setup (2-1-2) and no muffs, resonator, or 3rd cat... it will be Louder and Drone a lot around 2000 rpm. With Mufflers it might deepen the tone (depends on brand of muffler)... quiet it down, and drone less. I have done this setup first hand. Drone doesnt sound too nice... makes your car sound like a damn rice burner on steroids.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, I hope to get this leak fixed this weekend. Here's what the setup will be when I get done. The 2 foward cats into 1 pipe (eliminating the 3rd cat and res.) back to stock mufflers. Until someday, I can afford the better sounding ones. Hopefully I won't cause that droning, but I guess I'll keep everything in case it does.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have read that using 3" for the 1 in the 2-1-2 setup is pretty close to true duals performance wise. So while you are replacing that section, you might want to go to the bigger size in the middle. I had no cats with the 2-1-2 and stock mufflers out back for a little while. Since the car came that way, I can't tell you the difference between it and the stock setup. I could at least hear the exhaust, which I can't imagine with 3 cats and 3 mufflers.

Might gain a little throttle response and the price difference should be small.
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts