TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone knows how to find out what dealership a car my dad bought came from. We tried to get a key cut at the dealer but they said the key data only goes back 10 years so we need to contact the dealer it came from. I thought this was kinda crazy myself. Maybe I should just remove a door lock cylinder and get a locksmith to cut a key for me. It's a 2000 Sable by the way. Can anyone shed any more light on this for me? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
That's true, it only goes back to 2003 at this point, if you want it cut by the VIN. I take you do not have any keys at all?

PM me the VIN and I can run an oasis for you, and see if there are any clues out there as to who sold it. Even then, I don't know if they would be able to cut it by the VIN...but if you want it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is true I have seen the Carfax for my car it does show the original selling dealer. You should check with the dealer to the keycode may be stamped on the car somewhere

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. There are no keys :( We had to move it with a car dolly. Earl, you have a PM.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A locksmith should be able to cut one for you
Cutting a key yes........... but they are chipped keys that need to be programmed as well. For you to do it, you need TWO working chipped keys to create another key. Otherise the car has to go to the dealership to have it reprogrammed. My 01 Sable wagon I only have 1 key for and would like another but it's going to be $$$ to get another made.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Somehow I missed that part. I understand the problem now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts