TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new set of 15k SAS hard drives, a Huge watercooling kit, a 1000W power supply, and I bought a new video card (RX480) at Thankgiving.

:)

I tried to upgrade my older i7-920 system to some ram I pulled from the newer system; It doesn't "officially" support 8GB ddr3 dimms. :surprise:

Cpu-Z shows 24GB (correct), the bios shows 12GB, and windows shows 16GB. :)

I'm going to see if I can break 5GHz on this 3939k... >:)

Anyone else buy new toys?

·
Super Moderator
5,010 Posts
Heh.

I bought a Phenom X4-9850 for my main computer; to get off the 2-core I have currently.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a 10 core Xeon that would fit my current main mobo; I was excited until I saw the $3k price tag, lol. :surprise:

We won't be doing that. :)

I can hit ~4.7GHz on this machine, but it won't successfully suspend or hibernate; I typically run a 120MHz bus spreed, and a 36 multiplier for 4.3GHz. Everything works well at that level.

I'm hoping the new water cooler I bought will allow me to go over that a good bit.

I got a way better price than that, but I've paid more for a cooler than what newegg's showing. :)

I found a sas card and two drives in the trash; I set it up, and one drive was dead.

So, I ordered two sas drives for ~$50 each, and it is even faster than the scsi system I use for video editing.

Maybe I'll finally get rid of that cabinet of SCSI drives; it sounds like a b52 warming up, with all the staggered drives, lol.
The cats love it for some reason; I'm sure they'd love it if I ran it more. :)

I realize as I read this that the pair of 15k sas drives sound like the horizontal frequency on old TV's... but I can't hear that high, so it has to be a harmonic. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just picked up a new RX470 and another 8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 for mine. Will be replacing the sturdy old EVGA GTX 66ti I've been using for nearly two years. The darned thing has been a trooper but is the bottleneck on a few of the games I play like Elite: Dangerous...old cow can only render so much before it shuts itself off

·
Super Moderator
12,241 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Asus Z-170A motherboard, 6600k processor, 16GB DDR4-3000 memory. Still running two R9 280X video cards.

90% of what I use it for is iRacing or other racing games.

My Build

1 - 6 of 6 Posts