TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i was just wondering what differences i will notice after i take the 2 cats off and just straight pipe where they were? Will it be louder at all? Will it increase my exhaust flow enough to make a difference?(i just removed my air silencer and such) I don't have to worry about emissions or anything so i'm not worried about getting in trouble. Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
yes it would help alot and so would removing the resinator after the third cat. might want to think about a mid mount muffler or something just for the love of god don't staight pipe it. them 3.8's sound like crap:eek: my neighbor have a straight pipe stang and iam glad he don't drive it anymore. the hard part will be geting something for the drivers side cat. let us know what you come up with. mine are gutted and i wouldn't suggest it but they where pluged and red hot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just so i make sure everything is what i think it is... there are 2 cats right after the manifolds on separate pipes, then they come togather and go into another cat? or is that a resignator? and after that there is a muffler/resignator right below the bumper.
I am trying to stay away from buying anything new since the car is a bit rusty and i will only be driving it for another 6 or so months. But i'll let you know what i do and how it turns out.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
After the 2 cats come together that is your third cat, the muffler thing after that is your resonator, you can take all of these out if you wish and run straight pipes on back to the mufflers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i took all 3 cats off and left the muffler would i have enough back pressure? or would it be better to eithertake off the middle cat only or take off the 2 cats and leave the middle one on.

·
5,650 Posts
Feldspar said:
if i took all 3 cats off and left the muffler would i have enough back pressure? or would it be better to eithertake off the middle cat only or take off the 2 cats and leave the middle one on.
By doing that you'd probably notice a loss in the low-end. You should eliminate the third cat and get 2 high-flows for the front and run them back to the muffler.

·
5,650 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Call me crazy, but I was under the impression that the 3.8 cars had 2 cats and 1 resonator, not 3 cats.
Edit: Ok here's the info I found. All had resonators.

92 and Before: All 3.8's had 2 cats, 1 muffler (SC had 2 mufflers). 5.0's had 3 cats, 2 mufflers.
93: 3.8 N/A (Not CA) - 2 cats, 1 muffler; 3.8 N/A (CA) - 3 cats, 1 muffler; 3.8 SC Auto - 2 cats, 2 mufflers; 3.8 SC Manual - 3 cats, 2 mufflers; 5.0 - 3 cats, 2 mufflers
94-95: 3.8 N/A (Not CA) - 2 cats, 1 muffler; 3.8 N/A (CA) - 3 cats, 1 muffler; 3.8 SC Auto - 2 cats, 2 mufflers; 3.8 SC Manual - 3 cats, 2 mufflers; 4.6 - 3 cats, 2 mufflers
96-97: 3.8 N/A (Not CA) - 2 cats, 1 muffler; 3.8 N/A (CA) - 3 cats, 1 muffler; 4.6 - 3 cats, 2 mufflers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well all i know is that i have 4 cat/resignator/mufflers on my 89 3.8. !'m just lookin for the most overall power so whatever combination of elimination that works best is what i intend to do.

·
5,650 Posts
Feldspar said:
well all i know is that i have 4 cat/resignator/mufflers on my 89 3.8. !'m just lookin for the most overall power so whatever combination of elimination that works best is what i intend to do.
No bird or cougar came w/4 cats from the factory. If you do have 4 cats then 2 were added somewhere along the line. As I said in my original post, get 2 high-flow cats. That's all you need. Get new downtubes to the cats and a better muffler. That'll give you the performance you're looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts