TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says, what do headers do? where do they go? how much HP do they add? are the expensive or hard to install? also if you get headers then lader put on dual exhaust can that cause a problem?

thanks

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Headers remove the restrictions created by your stock exhaust manifolds. As for adding HP, not much on a stock engine. On a 4.6 I hear they are a b!tch to install. No problems with the dual exhaust since it should bolt right up to the headers. The headers replace your stock exhaust manifolds so they bolt up to your heads.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Here is a picture of the Kooks 4.6L headers for our cars:

They bolt to the heads of your engine, and to the exhaust downtubes. Headers flow better than the stock manifolds, freeing up some power.

The Kooks headers are the only ones that I would recommend for a MN12. They aren't cheap, and installation requires dropping the K-member or pulling the engine, neither of which is a quick and simple job.

For a stock 4.6L, you would be better off spending $$ elsewhere first, as a set of headers won't give you much power.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just to throw my .02 cents in here when I installed my shorty headers I didnt drop the k-member or lift the engine out. Although it did take me about 15 hours struggling to get all the bolt's loosened and then tight.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
install on a set of shorties is alot different than the install on the 3/4 length Kooks.

Do i think the Kooks, like Al said are a worthwhile investment on an otherwise stock car? in a word.....no. I have the OE manifolds on my 02 exploder motor and they are just fine. Of course I have no cats and 2.5 tubing....the manifolds were P-modded so to speak, the ridge on the collector was taken down and the casting flash and bumps were ground smooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts