TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket today :mad:

I drive a 4.6 t-bird with a loud as hell exhaust that always attracts attention. I pull away from the stop sign and im driving on a street that the spped limit is 40 and I am going 60. I know I am a dumbass. Well I see the cop and pull over onto a side street that has a speed limit of 25. I pull over and he tells me to get out of the car and sit on the curb. He writes me a ticket for rolling the stop sign, unsafe speed, and no turn signal. The worst part is that he writes the ticket 60 in a 25 where it should have been 60 in a 40.

What do I do?
I have to go to court so I think I am going to make a pretty good effort to fight this one.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
plead no contest...either pay the fines, or try to get differed adjudication..

its his word against yours..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Fight it. If you know for a fact that you were in a 40 zone then he is wrong. No need to pay extra for something you didn’t do.

I would plead no contest for the signal, rolling stop, and speeding (only the 20 over) as long as that is true. At least in Maine, 30+ mph over limit is criminal speeding so if that’s the case in your town then def fight for the speeding part.

·
Registered
373 Posts
an attorney representing you always makes you look better

this is my opinion, not legal advice. not only do i know from personal experience but im also going to school for criminal justice. just hire an attorney that handles driving violations. there here for a reason plus they speak the criminal justice lingo that most civilians can't. so that way they have all there fees set (not no hourly rip off.) it will be a lot cheaper & will be able to convince the judge to give a reduced fine & deffered adjudication. thats if the officer shows up to court. if you made an impression on that officer more than likely you pisst him off & have a higher chance of him showing up but most of the time if courteous to an officer they wont show up due to lack of hours on the job & not getting paid overtime for going to court. trust me, i once pisst off a police officer on a speeding violation & he sure did show up in uniform to make sure i faced the consequences & my attorney got me a reduced fine & deffered adjudication. here in dallas tx its around 75 bucks to hire a attorney for a speeding ticket. it might be more pricey depending on what violation. most of the time cops dont show up. dont forget to dress like youre going to a job interview.;)

oh i forgot to mention, as far as its his word against yours he does have the upper hand but remember we are all human & choke under pressure. especially under oath..... any ?s feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I say fight it, follow the above statement and if the cop starts to be a di** ask for records of when he was trained to use THAT MODEL radar, and records on when the radar was last calibrated. Im sure if you hire a lawyer he may ask those questions but i know here in NY they have to provide that info and if he doesnt have all the qualifications for the certain radar then its null and void for the speeding part anyway. Did he try to pull you over while in the 40mph zone before you turned? if so play it off as if you were scared and you forgot to use the directional because you were nervous. I have found with most cops/judges if you seem sincere (sp?) and apologetic they let you off easier.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'd definately go and fight it. You got lucky there honestly. 60 in a 25? That would be most definately considered Neglegent driving of atleast the 2nd degree I believe. Hell, I watched a guy in court get the exact same thing, 74 in a 35, and that's exactly what he got, the neglegent driving.

I'd go and fight it, definately look into an attorney. I've heard that if they actually mess up on the ticket, then you can get out scott free, by only paying the court costs (but I'd highly advise an attorney, it might cost ya $150.00 but it'll save ya a butt load....) I know a Neg. driving here for that guy was $550 or somethin like that, no reductions PERIOD!

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
Get a lawyer. It's amazing what they can do for you.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
How's this: Accept responsibility for the fact that you broke multiple laws and take whatever punishment is given!!! :thumbsup:

60 in a 40 is still 20 miles over the speed limit. Add to the fact that you tried to elude: "Well I see the cop and pull over onto a side street"....

If you are going to play:

"loud as hell exhaust "
"speed limit is 40 and I am going 60"
"rolling the stop sign"
"no turn signal"

You should to be willing to pay. :D

But one question: When did he hit his lights? Before or after you turned the corner?

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I think you should fight it, 60 in a 25 is alot different then 60 in a 40. The way you explain the story, it seems pretty impossible that you could get up to 60 that fast on the side street.

Fight it man, good luck

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
How's this: Accept responsibility for the fact that you broke multiple laws and take whatever punishment is given!!! :thumbsup:

60 in a 40 is still 20 miles over the speed limit. Add to the fact that you tried to elude: "Well I see the cop and pull over onto a side street"....

If you are going to play:

"loud as hell exhaust "
"speed limit is 40 and I am going 60"
"rolling the stop sign"
"no turn signal"

You should to be willing to pay. :D

But one question: When did he hit his lights? Before or after you turned the corner?
Even if the punishment is for something he didn't do? That's dumb. Accept responsibility for what you did.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Even if the punishment is for something he didn't do? That's dumb. Accept responsibility for what you did.
Unless there is some time in the past when he has done it. Just because you don't get caught does not mean that you shouldn't take responsibility for your actions.

If you drive recklessly at 120 mph, but don't get caught, then get pulled over for speeding 60 in a 40, do you have the right to whine about being charged with something "you didn't do"?

Is the prevalent philosophy today: Get away with anything and everything you can as long as you don’t get caught and then whine when you do get caught?

I'm assuming that there are times in the past when he has gone over the speed limit by 35 mph (which is what he's being "improperly" charged with). :thumbsup:

That's my problem with the whole "fight the ticket". IMHO, it should be more like, "Well, I'm glad I didn't get busted when I was doing [insert major offence here]. I guess I should consider myself lucky and just go ahead and take my medicine". :thumbsup:

But just my opinion (and my actions considering I have never fought a ticket even when it was incorrect because I sort of think I “owe them”….). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
pay the money. The fastest I go is 5-10 over the limit
EXCEPT near red-light ticket cameras
if I *have* to go through one, I stomp on it immediately before the light if it's green and stab the brakes to bring it back down to the limit as soon as I am clear, otherwise if it's turning yellow I stop early (thank you PBR's :) )

Take responsibility for it, unfortunately the cost of fighting the ticket is as great as that of the ticket itself. Unless it will count as a FELONY charge or cost you your license, just pay the money and take defensive driving or whatever it is traffic school is in your neck of the woods.

recommendation from one ticket-fiend to another.

oh, and consider, just maybe, getting an exhaust silencer

·
Registered
280 Posts
well you can get a lawyer, but you'd be amazed at how the local judge will handle a traffic ticket, especially if you are honest & straight forward with him. plead no contest, but then feel free to explain your side of the story. tell him you realized that you were doing 60 in a 40. (remember, honesty counts). but point out the error on the ticket. Also, the judge may be willing to toss out a couple of the other charges because of honesty.

my significant other was involved in a drunk driving accident (as the victim). He got a ticket because he didn't realize his license had expired. He went the following business day & had the problem corrected. By the time the court date arrived, he was able to tell the judge his side of the story, including the info on the crash. The judge had his driving record there and saw that he had his licensed renewed right away & tossed out the ticket. All because he was honest. So I say give honesty a whirl. It won't hurt.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Unless there is some time in the past when he has done it. Just because you don't get caught does not mean that you shouldn't take responsibility for your actions.

If you drive recklessly at 120 mph, but don't get caught, then get pulled over for speeding 60 in a 40, do you have the right to whine about being charged with something "you didn't do"?

Is the prevalent philosophy today: Get away with anything and everything you can as long as you don’t get caught and then whine when you do get caught?

I'm assuming that there are times in the past when he has gone over the speed limit by 35 mph (which is what he's being "improperly" charged with). :thumbsup:

That's my problem with the whole "fight the ticket". IMHO, it should be more like, "Well, I'm glad I didn't get busted when I was doing [insert major offence here]. I guess I should consider myself lucky and just go ahead and take my medicine". :thumbsup:

But just my opinion (and my actions considering I have never fought a ticket even when it was incorrect because I sort of think I “owe them”….). :thumbsup:
Ummm...I absolutely never said "Get away with anything and everything you can as long as you don’t get caught and then whine when you do get caught". Or anything like it. I'm all about personal responsibility. I told him to accept responsibility for what he did, nothing more, nothing less. I also think he should quit being an assclown on the street. And yes, he has absolutely no reason to whine. Drive like a tool and you'll get burned.

I didn't mention it but I also am only saying this if there is a real compelling reason to do so. I'm sure there is a huge difference in fine between 20 over and 35 over...but maybe not.

If you feel so strongly about this, I'd encourage you to just go ahead and mail a check into your local Clerk of Courts next time you violate any traffic law ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
HOPEFULLY the cops video camera was running and SHOULD be able to prove when/where you were speeding. I would go to the police station, ACCEPT the stop sign, turn signal bullsh*t, and agree to accept the speeding as long as it's correctly recorded.
You will piss of the judge trying to fight 20 over, especially when you chickened (natural instinct) and turned down a side street. He deals with hundreds of idiots a week, you going in there trying to waste his time will only upset him.

Like I said:
Plead guilty on everything, and make sure they get the 60 in a 40mph- it is not logical for you turn any faster than 25mph nor would you have time to speeed up to 60mph (depending on where you were stopped after the turn).

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
HOPEFULLY the cops video camera was running and SHOULD be able to prove when/where you were speeding. I would go to the police station, ACCEPT the stop sign, turn signal bullsh*t, and agree to accept the speeding as long as it's correctly recorded.
You will piss of the judge trying to fight 20 over, especially when you chickened (natural instinct) and turned down a side street. He deals with hundreds of idiots a week, you going in there trying to waste his time will only upset him.

Like I said:
Plead guilty on everything, and make sure they get the 60 in a 40mph- it is not logical for you turn any faster than 25mph nor would you have time to speeed up to 60mph (depending on where you were stopped after the turn).
Like I said:

Let a good lawyer do the talking for you. Leave it to him to obtain a copy of the dashboard cam video if he decides that is your best course of action. It would be well worth your time and money to seek legal council.

"The man who represents himself has a fool for a client."
-Anonymous/Unknown

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
More accurately - "The ignorant man who represents himself has a fool for a client."
The last ticket I got the cop just plain screwed up and wrote me a ticket even thought the statute had a clear exemption carved into it to cover the exact situation I was in. I went to court. Every case before mine was "GUILTY!" BAM! I calmly presented my case. It went back and forth a bit, he questioned the cop if I was being a tool that evening or not, then the judged chewed me out abit anyway to give the cop some cover them yelled "DIMISSED!" BAM! :D

I just leaned over the microphone a little and said "thank you your Honor, I feel you've been very fair in this matter!" :)

The cop was already headed for the door with a slumped over dejected posture.

I then quitely took my paperwork and walked out of the courtroom with my head high while slightly shaking my head back and forth as if they were the tools. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
More accurately - "The ignorant man who represents himself has a fool for a client."

No, I don't believe he has to also be ignorant, just a fool. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Whatever, what if he's a lawyer too? :tongue:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts