TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching from using my bird as a daily driver to a weekend/summer car. I have a dry garage that I can store it in, but I just wondered what problems are these cars are prone to when they've been sitting around?

I'd aim to try and get the car out, and running for 10-15 mins to get it up to normal at least once a month, but I seem to remember that when I laid it up for a few weeks a few years ago, even though nothing was left switched on, the battery went flat quite quick, and I ended up storing it with the battery disconnected.

I used to keep an 87 Firebird garaged over the winter, and when I dragged it out in springtime, normally everything was ok and worked. Just wondered if I've got any nasty suprises waiting when I potentially do the same to the bird??

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
Since I flip-flop between driving the Bird in summer and the Cougar in winter, either car sits for anywhere between 5 and 7 months. I do start up either car and let it get up to operating temperature every month or so. I've never had any problems with either battery dying in that time, but they're only about 2 years old now. Really the only thing I've noticed is that the brakes tend to get stuck on the Cougar (it's stored outside in summer vs. the Bird which is garaged in winter). I've replaced all four brakes on that car at least twice in three years, lol...

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to know. The battery on mine wasvery old when Iwas having the trouble before, and failed about a year later.

Which parts of the brakes is it that you have to replace? Cylinders?

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
The first time around I replaced the rear shoes, hardware and cylinders along with the front rotors. That was immediately after I got the car and the brakes needed desperate attention (pedal went to the floor).

This past fall I replaced the front pads, rotors and rear drums, shoes and hardware. One too many seasons of rust building up on/inside rotors/drums, I guess. :rolleyes:

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Winter Storage

If sitting for too much time...I would think anything "rubber" would dry rot faster than, say if you were using the car regularly.. :zdunno:

You don't have to start the car all the time as long as you have Sta-Bil in the gas tank..

Just disconnect your battery, and put it on a Battery Tender or something similiar..Then add the Sta-Bil to your gas tank..

Here's a good thread on Winter Storage..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first time around I replaced the rear shoes, hardware and cylinders along with the front rotors. That was immediately after I got the car and the brakes needed desperate attention (pedal went to the floor).

This past fall I replaced the front pads, rotors and rear drums, shoes and hardware. One too many seasons of rust building up on/inside rotors/drums, I guess. :rolleyes:
Wow, thats sounds expensive!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a good thread on Winter Storage..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..
Thanks for the link. Interesting about teh mice, as I know we've had mice in our garage before. Can youtranslate "bounce sheets" to european? Are they the sheets you put in tumble driers?

·
Super Moderator
9,177 Posts
I'm rather discount-savvy, so I spent about 200 bucks on everything which isn't too bad. Which works out to what, about 130 quid?

Yeah, Bounce sheets are fabric softener sheets. Bounce is the predominant marketed name-brand for those here.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£130 quid? Yeah thats about right mate :)

Very roughly £'s = $'s x 0.666 A few years ago it was almost £'s = $/2 which made car spares very cheap for me.:D:D Those days are long gone though.

And I used to put a small tub containing kitty litter in the footwell in my Firebird to stop any mould/dampness in the interior. Otherwise you get it out to find you have a fury steering wheel. Euk!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just disconnect your battery, and put it on a Battery Tender or something similiar..

I saw just about to type the same thing. The batt not having the juice in it when I tried a start up was a pain. Now I disconnect it and keep it in my home. Other than that I dont have any issues. Storing for summer, make sure that you dont have any rodent or insect actviity. I about coughed up a lung when a large momma rat jumped from under my hood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts