TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
As long as those ground effects aren't hiding any rust, probably somewhere in the range of $3K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there is no Rust I used the car a little bit the first winter I had it but it has not seen Winter driving since 1997, I put the Ground effects on in 2000 and since then I have maybe put 8 thousand miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice Cougar. Get what you can for it.

Your car looks about nice enough to put up for 20 years and sell it then.

I'm not an expert on values. I bought my 1992 bird about 1996 with 100k miles. Not much had been done to it and over the years taking it to 175K miles I have either replaced it or it's due for replacement. I'm not shopping for a 20 year old Ford but there are still lots of guys that still like working on cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gordonm1
As much as I'd like to keep it I am getting another car and with the other toys the garages are getting full...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Where in MN are you? I agree a mostly stock one in excellent shape is in the $3000 ballpark. I paid that for mine because it already had the PI swap, Jmod, lowering springs, PBR Brake conversion, and strut tower connectors so I overlooked the worn out paint.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Assuming everything up close looks as good as it does in the pics, there is absolutely no reason to not start at $5k, or maybe even higher. It is hard to find a car that age in very good condition. It may take a while to get it, but I think you can.

Having said that, it would be worth more to me personally with a stock body and factory "eyes". With the body mods, you are likely to attract younger buyers, that don't have as much available cash as an older enthusiast that hates new cars as much as I do.

Documentation is key, and it sounds like you have it. I looked at a car recently where the guy claimed to have all the original owner's service records. When I got there, he said "I have all the service records in my safe in Charlotte". I guess he didn't realize the value of the records was to sell the car. Then again, he was full of **** all around.

GLWS.
Al

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Assuming everything up close looks as good as it does in the pics, there is absolutely no reason to not start at $5k, or maybe even higher. It is hard to find a car that age in very good condition. It may take a while to get it, but I think you can.

Having said that, it would be worth more to me personally with a stock body and factory "eyes". With the body mods, you are likely to attract younger buyers, that don't have as much available cash as an older enthusiast that hates new cars as much as I do.

Documentation is key, and it sounds like you have it. I looked at a car recently where the guy claimed to have all the original owner's service records. When I got there, he said "I have all the service records in my safe in Charlotte". I guess he didn't realize the value of the records was to sell the car. Then again, he was full of **** all around.

GLWS.
Al
Again, I am not sure where in MN the OP is, but I've seen folks with nice looking SuperCoupes asking $5000 that have been for sale for years. According to Kelly Blue Book, assuming 65000 miles, and listing it as "excellent" condition it's a $2500 car. I'd ask $3000 for it myself, but placing them at $5000 hoping an "enthusiast" will buy it just prices it out of everyone's ballpark. Look at our own classified section, we KNOW they're great cars, and we know we'd love to have them, but I know I wouldn't pay $5000 for a used Thunderbird, Cougar, or Mark VIII that is essentially bone stock. I'd have a hard time paying that for one with all the good stuff and a manual swap.

If you want it sold, it's got to be at fair market value or you're just going to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
16,827 Posts
Again, I am not sure where in MN the OP is, but I've seen folks with nice looking SuperCoupes asking $5000 that have been for sale for years. According to Kelly Blue Book, assuming 65000 miles, and listing it as "excellent" condition it's a $2500 car. I'd ask $3000 for it myself, but placing them at $5000 hoping an "enthusiast" will buy it just prices it out of everyone's ballpark. Look at our own classified section, we KNOW they're great cars, and we know we'd love to have them, but I know I wouldn't pay $5000 for a used Thunderbird, Cougar, or Mark VIII that is essentially bone stock. I'd have a hard time paying that for one with all the good stuff and a manual swap.

If you want it sold, it's got to be at fair market value or you're just going to keep it.
People price them high so people DON'T just start tearing into them to mod. They weren't kept pristine for as many years as some members are as old just to see it get run into the ground on it's new rimz and a disposable head unit. On the flipside same even applies to modded cars - price it cheap enough and your baby becomes a tantalizing parts car for someone.

That's why I'll never sell my car here if/when I were to move on from it. Everyone here already has their baby, and a lot of us don't have the space or time for another project or a mint example to keep mint for future generations. I sealed the fate of my car the minute I started messing with it, I don't regret it, it was near pristine when I got it, and I've done my best to and keep it so, even with the mods and driving it, but it's so personalized now I know I'd never see it go to a good home, nobody but us really appreciates these cars and interest isn't growing, and my car now is so full of parts that if it were put on the classifieds it would literally get ripped to shreds by prospective buyers to better their own cars. I'd part it myself if that's all it's good for.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
People price them high so people DON'T just start tearing into them to mod. They weren't kept pristine for as many years as some members are as old just to see it get run into the ground on it's new rimz and a disposable head unit. On the flipside same even applies to modded cars - price it cheap enough and your baby becomes a tantalizing parts car for someone.

That's why I'll never sell my car here if/when I were to move on from it. Everyone here already has their baby, and a lot of us don't have the space or time for another project or a mint example to keep mint for future generations. I sealed the fate of my car the minute I started messing with it, I don't regret it, it was near pristine when I got it, and I've done my best to and keep it so, even with the mods and driving it, but it's so personalized now I know I'd never see it go to a good home, nobody but us really appreciates these cars and interest isn't growing, and my car now is so full of parts that if it were put on the classifieds it would literally get ripped to shreds by prospective buyers to better their own cars. I'd part it myself if that's all it's good for.
I understand that, I really do. To me, it's just a car. I enjoy it quite a bit, and they're old enough to where I can modify it to make it the car I want without feeling guilty about it. My hope is that I won't ruin it and that if I end up having to sell it, I can sell it to someone who will appreciate it. That said, it's not my daughter, it's just a car. The next person who owns it either will or won't take care of it. It is no longer my concern once it's out of my hands.

If I have to sell it, or even if I want to sell it, pricing it so high it doesn't sell doesn't help me. I'd rather it sell and hope the next person appreciates it, but if they don't, their loss.

·
Super Moderator
11,924 Posts
$3K to $4K would be my range. It would be better if you still have the original rims to include with it.

As others have said paperwork and documentation go a long way toward improving the value.

Good looking Cougar. What springs is it lowered with? Eibach? Vogtland? or cut stock springs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live about 100 miles west of the cities- Willmar mn area.
I do have the original Rims that I will be selling with it along with the front ground effects piece that I never installed as I like how the front looks stock.
I'm trying 4 grand, will see what happens...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I live about 100 miles west of the cities- Willmar mn area.
I do have the original Rims that I will be selling with it along with the front ground effects piece that I never installed as I like how the front looks stock.
I'm trying 4 grand, will see what happens...
With the original wheels, I think $4K is a good starting place. Make sure you advertise in a large circle. If you do Craigslist, put ads in the cities as well as Duluth. I know I've driven to Minneapolis to buy cars a few times because the people here in Duluth think we're a captive market, and will charge $5000 for a rusted out pile of crap.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said. When I was looking a few years ago, if I were to see one for sale with front ground FX missing, and dated aftermarket wheels... I'd be a lot less likely to look closely at it.
Just IMO but I think you will get more if you take off all the exterior body mods and put on the stock wheels. Sell it as factory original low mileage and I don't think 4K is unreasonable starting point at this time.

Does it have factory traction lock since it has no traction control? That would be a big selling point if it does.

The car looks beautiful by the way! Good luck with sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts