TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
What does GT stand for?

"In 1964, Ford Design made up "Grand Sport" badges when they were developing a performance version of the Mustang. In the end they Grand went Touring. This name made more sense with GT, which stands for since Ford was developing their long-distance Ford endurance racing GT (GT-40) for with the goal of beating Ferrari and winning the 24 hours of LeMans."

quoted from an outside source.............

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Last I heard it was Grand Touring. Which when you think about it, is really out of place on a GT Mustang. Have you ever done any serious "touring" or long trips in one of those things? Man, talk about pain.

Back to GT though. Back when letters meant something it meant Grand Touring.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
lol You've Just been playing too many video games! :D:D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Not a thing wrong with the Video game. I'm thinking of actually breaking down and getting a PS2 myself. I figure at age 42 its about time! :D:D

And you are right Eric. I had forgotten about the GTO. I don't know if GT is short for GTO or if they (Ford) used it in the Grand Touring sense. For all I know Gran Turismo is Italian for Grand Touring! :D

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hmm, I wonder what Gran Turismo in Italian means in English? I would say Grand Touring close to Grande Tourism :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Traveler said:
LOL Not a thing wrong with the Video game. I'm thinking of actually breaking down and getting a PS2 myself. I figure at age 42 its about time! :D:D
:uppoint: Michael, you'll beat me by two years. I'm actually thinking of getting one myself. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Eric46v8 said:
That's what it means in GTO. Gran Turismo Omologato. Not sure what that means though.
GT is an American word hack based on the European formula racing name.
Gran Turismo Omologato, the root name, means (in this case) touring cars built to a specification.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
my friends and i used to say it meant "Good Times", hey look over at that mustang good times, hahaha guess you had to be there kinda thing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
wait..what does LX stand for then?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL LX isn't even a word hack. It came out late in the game when Ford (and other companies) began thinking that cars needed letters after thier names to compete with the Japanese and Europeans.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Eric46v8 said:
That's what it means in GTO. Gran Turismo Omologato. Not sure what that means though.

The literal translation from Italian, as I've heard it is "Grand Touring Automobile".

·
Registered
927 Posts
Google is your friend: "omologato" means "approved." It couldn't translate the other words very well, but I think they are pretty much the same in english.

Automobile in Italian is either: automobile, (pronounced a little differently) or auto machina, or just auto.

Wasn't "Gran Tourismo Omologato" originally the name of a race in Italy? So, "Grand Touring Approved" kinda makes sense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts