TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some issues out of my transmission. I 94/95 TCC solenoid in the 97 car. Those just dont work. I got 96 TCC solenoid from Robert, the car would shut down when you select 2nd gear.

Tried to dyno the car and the convertor would unlock at 5,000 RPM. I gave up and packed the car to head home.

Today is the first day i got to work on the car. I put the car on jackstands, put it in drive and this is the sound i hear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_obcJ4_vyg

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
You need to change the privacy settings on the video.

No can seez it...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fixed

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Your transmission has what is commonly referred to as Duganitis. Characterized by a capatulation to the Gods of HP and the gremlins of Nitrous. :(

Symptoms include strange noises, persistant trouble "getting it up" off the line, reduced racing desire and the inability to keep up with Trunk Monkeys.

I'm no expert but I'd say your trans and/or TC are trashed.

All kidding aside, I wish you the best working it out and getting it running right.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Sounds fubar to me; does it move/shift?

Is that only problem you're having the unlocking at 5k ? If that's the case, I'd try a different torque converter...

Seriously, if it hasn't come apart yet, it doesn't sound like it will be long!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it moves and shifts. i havnt tried it out on the street yet though.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'm not trying to insult you, but I've heard vehicles in the past with loose torque converter bolt/nuts that sound like that.

Usually, when that is the case, it gets quieter when you put the car in gear (putting the driveline under load).

That's just something simple you could check out.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
What does this sounds like??

Answer: Like a Bull's Ass sewn up with a logging chain ~!

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. Sounds like ill be replacing my transmission again. Just dont understand how it happened

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Lol. Sounds like ill be replacing my transmission again. Just dont understand how it happened
Again? When was the last time you replaced it and what did you replace it with? Was it a rebuilt unit or something out of a bone yard?

Did you install it or did someone else?

You just bought that car not that long ago. I can't believe you're having to replace the trans. again... :confused:

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,276 Posts
I have a solution.
Uncap the headers, the noise will go away.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Did you check the torque converter nuts?

There are four of them - not 3 like a Chevy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Were you trying to dyno the car with a stock converter? If it still runs and drives, take it for a spin and see if the lockup still locks up....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I 94/95 TCC solenoid in the 97 car. Those just dont work. I got 96 TCC solenoid from Robert, the car would shut down when you select 2nd gear.
so you have a 97 then? or is this one of the 95's in your sig? im not sure the 95 tcc would even work in a 97. and a 96+ in a 95 will burn up the ECM.

if i remember right the 95s are on or off, and the 96+ can be turned on slowly or something, but they have completely different resistances.

makes me sort of wonder what a 96+ ECM would do with a 95 TCC. rip up the T/C maybe?

just a thought.

that dose sound pretty bad though, i would bet like everyone else something shrapneled out in the TC.

also, did you keep the reusable trans gasket, unless you had the pan off recently you seem to have a leak. and if you used one of those horrible parts store rubber ones that will be the issue. the ford reusable ones are excellent.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
so you have a 97 then? or is this one of the 95's in your sig? im not sure the 95 tcc would even work in a 97. and a 96+ in a 95 will burn up the ECM.

if i remember right the 95s are on or off, and the 96+ can be turned on slowly or something, but they have completely different resistances.

makes me sort of wonder what a 96+ ECM would do with a 95 TCC. rip up the T/C maybe?

just a thought.

that dose sound pretty bad though, i would bet like everyone else something shrapneled out in the TC.

also, did you keep the reusable trans gasket, unless you had the pan off recently you seem to have a leak. and if you used one of those horrible parts store rubber ones that will be the issue. the ford reusable ones are excellent.
I have a 1997 tranny in my 1995 and all I did was use the original TCC solenoid from the 1995 (they are a different impedance) - everything else in the 97 is exactly what was in there and the car shifts fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts