TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

question is pretty straightforward-- forgive me for sounding like a marketing studygroup.

What does THUNDERBIRD - COUGAR mean to you?

For example, Power, Luxury, Style, Comfort... things like that.

What images does the name evoke for you?

For Example, what do you imagine of the car, where can you picture it being? a high-class restaurant in beverly hills, a deserted dragstrip in central iowa, the lone car on an abandoned section of US 66 in the desert?

What do you feel when you drive the car?

For example, does driving the car excite you, does it scare you, does it bore you, how do you

To you, what word best describes the MN12? What does it feel like?

I know its a little bit introspective, but Im trying to define what the core essence of THUNDERBIRD-COUGAR is.
(By the way, Cougar guys-- Ive got a fair amount of Tbirds but no Cougars yet for my vid... if youve got clips, send em to me via email as listed below...)

What IS Thunderbird-Cougar?

Thanks!

-Ghost

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
To me I think thunderbird means safe, affordable, comfortable, dependent non-cookie cutter car *as in you wont see 15 of them on your way to work that are modded like stangs*....

As far as cougars go i think they mean safe, dependent. affordable, comfortable poor mans luxury car lol....what?........its a mercury....lol......

As far as scenic shots i would see a mn12 cruising down pacific coast highway w/ a hot mature partner while 2 ricers pass by for attention and get pulled over and the drive rolls his eyes as he passes by. That or driving down popular downtown local neighborhoods.

I love my car but in reality its still a tbird thats automatic and shifts for grandma's. Well one of those issues will be taken care of ;)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To me, Thunderbird means:

Luxury with sporting credentials. The fun and appearance of a coupe, with the practicality of seating for 5. 6-series killer. The Thunderbird is about QUALITY. The heavy door shuts with a solid "choonk" noise, the interior is quiet and doesn't rattle.

The name thunderbird more or less implies that it's fast-- the fact that we don't have to sport a blue oval on our car's nose is proof that it isn't just a crappy old taurus.

I imagine the car dressed up as mine is now, blasting down the autobahn at 150mph. Given the car's low drag coefficient, I don't think it's impossible. I picture the car parked at South Coast Plaza or another ritzy place in the front amongst the BMWs and Benzes (up until around 2002-2003 models when things started to get really... different in germany) and knowing my car doesn't look out of place or like it doesn't belong. It looks at home among the more expensive europeans.

Thunderbird to me, is about going REALLY FAST (on a highway, not a dragstrip-- Nevada Open Road Challenge anyone??), in style, whilst in the lap of relative luxury-- leather seats, automatic climate control, comfortable ride, predictable, neutral handling, plenty of space, kickin sound system. it's about the motor giving you a soft purr when cruising the highway, but roaring savagely when you open up the throttle.

That's what the car is about to me.

The Thunderbird, at its core, is about blasting down the highway, looking good and being comfortable while you're doing it. Porkchop is right that it's about not having a cookie-cutter, it's about being unique, but stylish and classy.

That's what it means to me. We know what it means to porkchop. But what's it mean to the rest of you?

-Ghost

·
Super Moderator
16,838 Posts
to me the COUGAR is like an affordable jaguar, it has a powerful engine, fast, quality, excellent handling, tasteful interior, comfortable seating, sporty muscular styling with formal touches

THUNDERBIRD means the same to a lesser extent:tongue:

What images does the name evoke for you?
i can see the cougar flying down a twisty rural highway in the mountains during a rain storm

What do you feel when you drive the car?
comfort, excitment and fear with a strong sense of control

To you, what word best describes the MN12? What does it feel like?
more than 1 word, but...

last of its kind

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
(By the way, Cougar guys-- Ive got a fair amount of Tbirds but no Cougars yet for my vid... if youve got clips, send em to me via email as listed below...)

-Ghost
soon as my one-legged cat gets her second leg up and running, im all over that!! :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
to me the COUGAR is like an affordable jaguar, it has a powerful engine, fast, quality, excellent handling, tasteful interior, comfortable seating, sporty muscular styling with formal touches
Look at what it was competing against when it won COTY in '67. IIRC, there was some legal action because Jag thought the Cougar logo resembled the Jag's too closely.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Ok,

question is pretty straightforward-- forgive me for sounding like a marketing studygroup.

Never ending repair bills....

·
Registered
825 Posts
thunderbird/cougar I think MN 12, weak sauce stock and a challenge to mod but fun once you get in to it

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
When I think of a Thunderbird, I usually picture one of two things:

1: An older Bird flying down some empty country road late in the evening (almost dark) as lightning flashes in the distance ahead. The car I see in my mind is going too fast for me to see what year it is, but I have actually done this in my dad's '87 Fox body 'Bird. It was a real pretty sight. I enjoyed it so much that I parked on the shoulder and walked across the road to take in the car and the open road and thunderstorm as a whole. Wish I had a camera with me that night.

2: Any one of the fun times I've had in my 97 Bird. I've had the car since 2002, when I was still in high school. Sometimes I picture my girlfriend (now wife) and I heading to the beach to watch the sunset, or maybe just cruising around with friends, or one of the 10,000 other memories I have.

When I drive my car, I'm showing everyone that I am willing to be different, modding a Bird instead of a Stang or even a Focus.

Driving impressions? Well, it gives the feeling of being safe and in control and that if you ask something of "her", she will respond to the best of her abilities.

It also gives the impression of being classy, sexy, yet mysteriously powerful and waiting to devour lesser cars for lunch- I love the rounded style of the 96/7 nose and side cladding, it is very sleek looking.

What word best describes the MN12? Um, well let's see...how about a saying instead, as I'd say Thunderbird has a very ardent spirit about it. It is willing to please the right person.

I would say it's about effortless cruising with the windows down, trips to the beach to see the sunset or soak up some rays, pretty much getting you where you want to be in comfort and style but ready to haul arse if called upon such as when heading to the track for the night.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
w3rd.
indestructible.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
A Thunderbird is like my favorite season...Fall

It's cool, crisp and beautiful. They came in many colors. They can scare (Halloween) the hell out of you when you’re not ready for it. They make you feel warm and safe like a fall jacket. They sure can fly like a bird in migration. And heavy like a giant pumpkin!

.....and no I'm not on crack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts