TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.6L Thunderbirds and Cougars with stock transmissions.

Mine is a 95 and in drive it will upshift into 2nd at 4700rpm. If I manually shift it later I feel more power up at 5200rpm.
Problem is when manually shifting I feel a lack of acceleration just before it upshifts. It's definately not the rpm limiter because if I shift too late I feel the rpm limiter and it smacks the party down like hitting a wall.

There is none of this mentioned funny business from 2nd to 3rd.
3rd to 4rth, never done it. I'm at my speed limiter in 3rd.

I'd like a solid upshift at 5200rpm. What rpm is it supposed to shift at in drive?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The problem is manually shifting these transmission is a bad idea. They were not designed for it, the mnual holds are just assistance when driving on slippery conditions.
Alan

·
Registered
871 Posts
My car used to shift into 2nd at 5500 rpm's... I think it is mostly due to the tune.
Get an SCT chip, it will really help out with that "lost" power.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
my car is all stock and shifts right at 5200 rpm.
Mine is the same way.Ever since the PI motor it will occasionally bounce the rev limiter in the 1-2 shift.It is definitly shifting way too early.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't know, I tend to keep my eyes on the road when accelerating hard...

From what I recall, it used to shift from second to third (5k+ rpm) a bit later than 1-2 (below 5k rpm).
But nowadays I don't floor it anymore, because I think I'm gonna need Darrin soon...
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Man that shipping bill on that trans will really suck

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
The problem is manually shifting these transmission is a bad idea. They were not designed for it, the mnual holds are just assistance when driving on slippery conditions.
Alan
how about the C6's?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Darrin said:
You people need a tune to fix your shift points. Lonnie or I can help you with that.
Darrin
Well as soon as i can afford you or Lonnie ill have it tuned:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
_95badbird said:
how about the C6's?

c6 is hydraulically controlled even still it wasn't designed for manual shifting however a shift kit can easily fix that. Short of going to a full manual valvebody the 4r70w will never work right with the electronics. The full manual valvebody doesn't use them.
Alan

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
c6 is hydraulically controlled even still it wasn't designed for manual shifting however a shift kit can easily fix that. Short of going to a full manual valvebody the 4r70w will never work right with the electronics. The full manual valvebody doesn't use them.
Alan
well, would a shift kit or a manual valve body be better?

On my C6, I don't run a kickdown.
I manually shift it.
If I didn't, it would shift at like 4500 or so.....not enough.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dirtyd0g said:
Alan
I prefer not to manually shift. I want 5200rpm in D, hence the thread.

Carlover007 said:
My car used to shift into 2nd at 5500 rpm's... I think it is mostly due to the tune.
Get an SCT chip, it will really help out with that "lost" power.
I'm assuming your combination is not stock because a 5500rpm upshift in my car will just leave me smacking the limiter. Please tell more about this SCT chip.

Mustangman and 95xbird. You cars are doing what I expect mine to be doing. 5200rpm in D. So if yours are stock, something must be wrong or not calibrated correctly with mine.

Darrin said:
You people need a tune to fix your shift points. Lonnie or I can help you with that.
Darrin
Why do I need a custom tune if some members claim they reach 5200rpm without modifications?

I'm all ears Darrin. Whats the first step towards 5200rpm upshifts into 2nd. I have 51 or 5200rpm into 3rd.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Mine stock was 5200 1-2 WOT shift, now with the tune from Lonnie it is 5500. It is fast enough of a shift that it doesn't hit the rev limiter. I have a stock 12 inch converter and stock 3.27 gears.

It feels like that is too high, but the car is faster, I no longer get the neck snapping 1-2 shift I got from doing the mild JMod with all springs, I just get belt squeel now.

I wish I had time to put in a better converter to bump that, and after a recent meet I found out that someone with 3.73 was only running 2700 rpm at 75 mph. My car doesn't need to cruise at over 55 generally, my 89 does 2400 rpm at 75, I though it would be a bigger change.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Whats the first step towards 5200rpm upshifts into 2nd. I have 51 or 5200rpm into 3rd.
what tach are you looking at? the stock one? cause thats about as accurate as tossing a dart at a dartboard and hitting the wall.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
jfsram said:
Mustangman and 95xbird. You cars are doing what I expect mine to be doing. 5200rpm in D. So if yours are stock, something must be wrong or not calibrated correctly with mine.
Why does it have to be something wrong???I have a complete new drive train in my car and none of it is stock.As far as the 5200 RPM bounce limiter problem, it is only because it has a PI motor which i might ad revs a whole lot faster than the stock anchor i had in there before.I whould say the engine revs too fast before the transmission can tell it to shift at WOT.

I need a tune because i have to correct the shift points for the new motor.
Still think something is wrong???

Edit:When it had the stock motor in it it only reved to about 4700 at WOT.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts