TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at gears for sometime now and ive come down to the 3.73s or 4.10s. I want to be able to make the tires squeel when i put my foot into it (The gears alone probably wont do that but i can dream). What else would i need to get besides the gears because ive been looking around and have seen like "basic installation kit for gears" and such and am a little confused. any help appreciated.

·
Registered
917 Posts
first off you'll need a driveshaft either a 93 Mark VIII Aluminum or a Metal Matrix. Next you will need to have the gears professionally installed as it takes some keen measuring and specialty tools to get them set up right. Next you will want a Marauder or dirtyd0g torque converter to make the most of your gears along with a Mark VIII flexplate and a Jmod. You will also need a chip or tuner to correct you shift points because you have changed them with the gears.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Depends on what you want your car to do. Make it quiker and its for mostly city driving id get 4.10's. If you drive on higher speed roads or freeways most of the time but still want a respectable gain off the line go with 3.73's.

As for the "basic install kit" its just new internal parts for the differential itself such as new bearings/etc. If your gonna put in different gears then you want to rebuild the internals while your there right? For example you dont do an engine swap and not replace your motor mounts or other key parts while your there right?

Hope your differential is a limited slip or "trac-lok" unit cuz putting new gears in a non-traclok equiped diff wouldnt be practical cuz you want that sucker to lockup upon take off but with 4.10's thats gonna make it more difficult. Check your door jam sticker thats near your door on the drivers side. It should contain info such as oem color code/vin #/axle code/and more. Towards the bottom right of the sticker it should say "AX" in one of the categories and look for the code or letter(s) under it. Depending on which code you have you will be able to tell wether you have trac-lok or not. If you dont then look for a trac-lok unit online or at the yards. Your gonna install a new "install" kit for it so doesnt matter if its used or not right?

Along with the basic install kit you will want a trac-lok rebuild kit to replace the old worn shims and clutches. I would recommend having someone who has done this befoe like greencurse said to build up your rear end when you have all the parts ready. Its not something everyone can do so have it profesionaly re-built and installed if you dont know how to remove the rear pumpkin.

Research the j-mod on this forum which is basically a shift kit for our cars to shift quicker and bark the tires. You can order one from lonnie c/o blueovalchips.com and he will set you up with a customized shift kit to your tastes for about $65 + core charge. The kit you get from him will include new springs/filter/acummulators/etc so you can install them into your own valvebody under the transmission. I have seen it done twice now and helped out on one of the times. Cjchevez has done it as well and lives closer to you and might help you out with it provided gas money/food/BEER for him LOL.

If you DO build up your rear end with new gears invest in a new driveshaft seeing how our stock units are heavy and made of steel and are a 2 piece design. Shorter gear ratios will turn the driveshaft at higher speeds and the stock units tend to vibrate or fail. Most of the 1993 Mark 8 vehicles were equiped with one-piece aluminum driveshafts and are a cheap perfect upgrade over our steel ones. You can get them at the junkyard for about 40 bucks and install new u-joints on it and have it re-balanced to handle your new gears.

Lastly invest in a Marauder Torque converter or custom one seeing how they will have a higher stall rating and will allow you to take off the line a lot quicker. Darrin is the man to see about a higher stall torque converter along with j-mod upgrades. Like i said before, it depends on what you want your car to do so let whoever you order parts off of know this so they can help you out. Of course you will need the matching flexplate to go with the converter to bolt up to your tbird like said earlier but dont worry they arent that pricey.

Hope that helps ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I haven't gotten my 4.10s in yet, but I do have Alan's 3800 stall 9.5 converter. I can break the tires loose off the line with:

General XP2000GTs (215x70x15)
Kumho MX (245x35x18)
Toyo Proxies (255x45x18) <-- Just barilly.

Trust me, you don't want to break the tires loose. Its soo much of a pain in the ass to have to ease into it when I want to get off the line.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
ha good write ups. so im about to do 4:10s. but dont have money for tuner. so would it be alright to run my car like without one? not tryin to jack your thread.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
i ran 3.73's without a tune for about a month. your shift points will be off and dont do any wot rus untill you get a tune seeing how you will definatley redline your car most of the time.

when it comes to Wide open throttle take offs our computers calculate when to shift based on mph. if you get gears your rpms will get to redline quicker but the desired mph wont be reached untill you speed up a lil bit.

Safe? yea sure why now just dont blow your motor or your tranny, make sure to manually shift before it gets to redline.

Without a tune thats what happened to my ride and it wouldnt want to shift even at 5500rpm. Trust me our engines sound angry and very bad at 6000rpm lol

edit: try searching for your answers seeing how you are still a noob and asking the same questions i was asking 3 years ago lol. gotSEARCH?

·
Registered
974 Posts
If i have a 96 4.6L bird does that automatically mean i have an 8.8? I already jacked up the back of my car to check if i had posi, but i didnt. : (. Wheels spun opposite ways... poop. But if i do throw in some 3.73's or 4.10's couldn't i just throw on some drag radials when i go to the track? Since i dont race on the street or anything, i don't really have to worry about the traction problems. Is this a wise decision? Thanks

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Trust me our engines sound angry and very bad at 6000rpm lol
You mean [email protected], or bad as in it's gonna blow? I revved my old one to 6500 and it sounded mean as heck, almost like the Cobra down the street from my parents house except for the fact that he has Flows and I have straight pipes. :eek: :D :cool:

Now I have to say it's not a good idea to rev to 6500 on a stock engine, I did it knowing full well what the consequences might be.

**Back on topic**

I ran 4.10's w/o a tune for a while, and most of the time with my jmod it would shift before hitting the rev limiter, sometimes it would bounce once maybe twice and then shift, but your speedo will be off until you get a SpeedCal. If you get 4.10's please don't use the white speedo gear to fix it, the teeth come apart inside the trans, and the trans "filter" is useless due to the location of the gear.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
If i have a 96 4.6L bird does that automatically mean i have an 8.8? I already jacked up the back of my car to check if i had posi, but i didnt. : (. Wheels spun opposite ways... poop. But if i do throw in some 3.73's or 4.10's couldn't i just throw on some drag radials when i go to the track? Since i dont race on the street or anything, i don't really have to worry about the traction problems. Is this a wise decision? Thanks
:gotsearch

opposite ways? that means you have limited slip does it not? look at your door jam label. It should tell you info such as paint code/axle ratio/vin#/etc.....look where it says "AX" (like i said above :rolleyes: ) and check to see what code you have. depending on the code that you have you will be able to tell which rear end setup you have.

slicks will help with traction but it might not 100% lockup both tires.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you get 4.10's please don't use the white speedo gear to fix it, the teeth come apart inside the trans, and the trans "filter" is useless due to the location of the gear.
I have 4.10s now. I haven't installed them yet though. What would you suggest I do as of recalibrating my spedo?

·
Registered
974 Posts
:gotsearch

opposite ways? that means you have limited slip does it not? look at your door jam label. It should tell you info such as paint code/axle ratio/vin#/etc.....look where it says "AX" (like i said above :rolleyes: ) and check to see what code you have. depending on the code that you have you will be able to tell which rear end setup you have.

slicks will help with traction but it might not 100% lockup both tires.
My 06 GT i know for sure has a posi and it spins the same direction.

·
Registered
974 Posts
mine was posi and while on jackstands they turned different directions ;)
really? All my friends cars with traction lock, posi, etc. all spin the same way. Maybe your posi is worn out or something? Or am i crazy here. Dont make me jack up my mustang just to see if i'm crazy or not... : (

1 - 20 of 45 Posts