TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. my 97 has about 180k on it and the clunking sound that started about 40k ago is getting louder than my stereo, so my mechanical brain says it's now time to do some work. About 40k ago I replaced the upper arms and they still look/feel great. I currently have the following on the living room floor (happy wife): lower arms (95 s/c), strut rod bushings (both ends), stabilizer bar endlinks (didn't know I had that many ball joints). The shocks are Tokicko with about 55k on them and the car still takes the bumps well. I've given it the bounce test and it only returns to the starting position so I think they are still good. I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible (not that I'm a cheap SOB like everyone I know says I am as I type on my Win98 machine I got in 1998 in my free computer chair I got out of the dumpster 5 years ago). I just put on new rotors and pads and I can't see the inside of the tires yet so I think they are O.K. I had it alligned 2 years ago and they said the tie rods were the only good part under there and since the tires are wearing evenly I think they are O.K.

Am I missing anything? I don't want to pay for an allignment twice.

·
Administrator
7,996 Posts
Plankster said:
Am I missing anything?
Shock mounts original? I had one go bad in one of my older cars, real bad noise! :(

How old are springs?

Joe

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allright, I'll bite, what are shock mounts? I just replaced the rear springs and put in the new rubber spacers top/bottom. And I will be putting in the matching lowering front springs at the same time as the front end work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yah, and when I replaced my rear springs I didn't have to disconnect anything (except the lower shock mount). I used two spring compressors on each spring and pulled them out. I'll let you know how the fronts go.

·
Administrator
7,996 Posts
Plankster said:
Allright, I'll bite, what are shock mounts?
It goes on top of the spring assembly. It has 3 studs on the top that bolt to the body under the hood.

Joe

·
Administrator
7,996 Posts
I'm not really sure if you can tell by looking at them. I checked RockAuto, they go for $28-$38.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts