TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in need of a new engine. i am not mechanically inclined, so i would have to pay somebody to do it for me... what could i get for about $5000. anything? that is including installation. i have no idea as far as prices go. thanks...

seth

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
Or a PI Engine instead of the Mark one. 02-04GT
yeah the all aluminum explorer engine, $5000 is more than enough, slapping the engine at a shop is less than 1g if you shop correctly, the engine will run you between $750-1250....depending on what you go with.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Finding a place to do an engine swap for $1000 shouldn't be too hard. With $4000, you could have a FORGED aluminum block, PnPed heads and all ARP hardware. Another $600 and you could add a sweet set of cams or nitrous.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
GreenBird said:
Finding a place to do an engine swap for $1000 shouldn't be too hard. With $4000, you could have a FORGED aluminum block, PnPed heads and all ARP hardware. Another $600 and you could add a sweet set of cams or nitrous.
Details man, details. Let us all know where you can get this setup and have it professionally assembled for that price.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've seen PnP'd heads cost over $2000 by themselves. Maybe you could buy all the components of a forged engine with pnp'd heads for $4000, but factor in the cost of having it professionally assembled, and it could cost well over $6000. And of course, by "professionally assembled," I mean someone who knows what they're doing with a modular engine. Now, you could certainly get either a 2V or 4V engine with headers, cams, a good tune and a shot of nitrous for $4000, with the 2V coming in cheaper b/c of cams.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You could get an Aviator motor for like $1300, which I believe is the same as the 03/04 Mach1, except for the intake. Personally, I'd shoot for that...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
SloMo228 said:
It'd probably be an easier wiring job to get a Mark VIII engine, though.
How so? They're probably the same wiring-wise (except COP, which I would modify the MN12 wiring to work with COP), just different in the head/intake design.

·
11,719 Posts
Darrin said:
Details man, details. Let us all know where you can get this setup and have it professionally assembled for that price.
Here are the prices I paid, and these were not 1 time deals. Prices include shipping:

02 Explorer bare block: $140 (probably get an iron block for under $100)
4340 Forged H beam rods including ARP 2000 bolts: $300
Diamond pistons; $620
New take out GT crank: $100
Fed. Mog. Tri metal rod bearings: $75
Fed. Mog. Tri metal main beaings: $70
ARP Main studs: $190
ARP head studs: $190
ModMax Plasma-Moly rings: $90
Decking: $90
Torque-plate honing: $90
cleaning, balencing and assembling: $245
Grand total for short block: $2200
a set of PnPed heads shouldn't be hard to find for $1800.

Maybe I'll build and sell these, I know my machinist would like to use the torque plate he bought more than once! LOL!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cougar281 said:
You could get an Aviator motor for like $1300, which I believe is the same as the 03/04 Mach1, except for the intake. Personally, I'd shoot for that...
i've heard that those motors are crap, im unsure, i would rather someone more knowledgable chip in about this.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
GreenBird said:
Here are the prices I paid, and these were not 1 time deals. Prices include shipping:

02 Explorer bare block: $140 (probably get an iron block for under $100)
4340 Forged H beam rods including ARP 2000 bolts: $300
Diamond pistons; $620
New take out GT crank: $100
Fed. Mog. Tri metal rod bearings: $75
Fed. Mog. Tri metal main beaings: $70
ARP Main studs: $190
ARP head studs: $190
ModMax Plasma-Moly rings: $90
Decking: $90
Torque-plate honing: $90
cleaning, balencing and assembling: $245
Grand total for short block: $2200
a set of PnPed heads shouldn't be hard to find for $1800.

Maybe I'll build and sell these, I know my machinist would like to use the torque plate he bought more than once! LOL!
Hey, those are great prices! But you are missing a LOT of stuf there. What about an oil pump, timing components, gaskets(head gaskets are pricey), intake, throttle body, fuel rails, injectors... I am still almost fully asleep and I know there is still a lot more missing. I think his question was "i am in need of a new engine. i am not mechanically inclined, so i would have to pay somebody to do it for me... what could i get for about $5000. anything? that is including installation."
What you posted is quite far from that. Do you maybe have some advice he could use that would actually meet his request?

Oh, and silly me... I forgot cams.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
As far as I know, 03/04 DOHC engines have the same weak rods as our 2V engines do. Except the Cobra, of course.

·
11,719 Posts
Darrin said:
Hey, those are great prices! But you are missing a LOT of stuff there. What about:
an oil pump
timing components
gaskets(head gaskets are pricey)
intake
throttle body
fuel rails
injectors
Oh, and silly me... I forgot cams.
use all the stock stuff. I did forget HGs. I mentioned he'd need more $$$ for the cams. If he needs a new engine, you can assume either the heads and/ or the shortblock are toast. replacing just the longblock is a good solution as he can do other small mods later.

I didn't include a cobra/frpp pump and billet gears because there are doubts you even need the cobra pump, and billet gears for the GT pump aren't availibile....yet.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You can also include all the one time use only bolts on the motor or a complete set of ARP hardware

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
GreenBird said:
use all the stock stuff. I did forget HGs. I mentioned he'd need more $$$ for the cams. If he needs a new engine, you can assume either the heads and/ or the shortblock are toast. replacing just the longblock is a good solution as he can do other small mods later.

I didn't include a cobra/frpp pump and billet gears because there are doubts you even need the cobra pump, and billet gears for the GT pump aren't availibile....yet.
Ok, this one is going to get rediculous so hold on to your hats folks...

Um... He has a 95. So you would spend $4000 to build a forged engine with ported heads up and put the crap 95 intake and related stuff right up on top of there now would ya??? And even more of a concern than just being silly, you would propose to spend all that cash to get forged parts, use the stock timing components and just to make sure it keeps on running you would slap that faithful old oil pump from the old motor in there and use it too???
Who is going to tear down the old engine and salvage these parts from it and who is paying? Who would warrant that and better yet, who would want it?
Man, that was a worse answer than I could ever have expected from anyone. Who would do that now really?
Is it so hard to say some simple litle words like "Oh, I was mistaken"?
For your information, I just did something like that today over on Modular Depot. I have done it here several times. I didn't melt.

But, all of this rediculousness aside, I still have not seen you answer how he is supposed to get this fully assembled and complete forged aluminum block engine in his car and make it run on the $5000 budget he clearly spelled out in his post.

My opinion, use an 02 or newer aluminum block Explorer motor ~$1500, use your front cover $(cost of having the installer take it off and put it on the new engine throw it into the $1000 install price), get the rest of the stuff you need to install the motor into the 95 (search and you will find the list) $variable but less than $500, get a good tune ~$400, get a good exhaust $400-800 and get it installed for ~ $150?. You can use the leftover for Kooks headers or a good set of cams. I would suggest the cams.
Right at or maybe even just over $5000 and it will run better than a built forged block put together with old used timing components, no gaskets or cams, not enough fasteners and an old oil pump.
But, even then, either way, you will have to deal with that 95 tranny that won't keep up. The question was about the engine though. I just felt that I should include that little warning in case it hadn't been thought of.

I am sick and tired of people telling these impossible stories that do nothing but mislead innocent people who are wanting to get some real help. This isn't some fantasy land and people want real-world truthful answers to their questions.
How would you feel if you didn't know any better and this was your hard earned cash being spent?
Please give reality a chance. It isn't that bad of a place.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
*Picture Homer Simpson dancing around*

"I'm a magical man, from happy land, Making people happy!"

Sorry, kinda bored here :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts