TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what engine oil people recommend in the 4.6? I've always used Castrol GTX 10W40. However now my car's gone over the 100k miles I'm wondering if that is the best choice.

I've also noticed that on a cold startup, although the oil pressure comes up straight away, for a split second I can hear the valves rattling as they pump up with oil. It makes me cringe, but if that a common thing with the 4.6 when its done a few miles, or is it down to my choice of oil?

I've not tried Mobil 1 for a few years, and not in the T-Bird. Its very expensive over here, but would that make a difference. I didn't like it last time I used it as it was SO thin when I poured it in.

I've tried searching for info on the forum on this, but the search doesn't seem to be working today?

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
10W40 is to heavy. I wouldn't use anything heavier than 10W30. The original oil that the factory used and recommended for these engines was a 5W30.

I would use 5 or 10W30 if I were you. As far as brand I prefer Castrol although Castrol and Havoline are like Coke and Pesi. Virtually the same just a matter of personal preferance.

I am currently using Mobil1 5W20 in my engine but it's a Supercharged Explorer motor. :D

There's good info in the Engine section of the Tech Articles about oils.

Check them out here.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/engine/index.html

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have Castrol Magnatec 15w40, 10w40, 5w30 available, and 15w40 or 10w40 in the mineral GTX.

It doesn't get that cold here, and we are into summer now, so do you think 5w30 would be too thin for a 1994 4.6 with 105k?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I decided on some 5W30 semi-synthetic, so we'll see what happens to the startup rattle when I've changed it over. It'll be the thinnest oil I've ever put in there. Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
10w40, royal purple, 126k mile 96t-bird, 10w30, royal purple, 56k mile 95 mark viii, fair warning don't recommend 20w50 too heavy/thick of an oil even for synthetics. change my oil every 5k miles. good luck.

regards,
ramon

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Motorcraft 10w30

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I was running 10w40 royal purple for awhile now I run 5w40 Mobil ESP or valvoline full synthetic 5w40, I didn't realize at the time and don't like that royal purple meets only the most minimal of specifications. At the end of the day every manufacturer likes a certain test and the timken bearing test doesn't hold true when you factor in an oils ability to hold particles, hydrocarbons, and general garbage from oil change to oil change. I used nothing but Valvoline maxlife 10w30 high mileage semi synthetic in my 3.8 and loved it. I use 10w30 maxlife full synthetic in my 95 4.6. My 93 mark VIII motor which is getting rebuilt and put into my 97 will most likely be using Castrol edge or valvoline synthetic. My fiances 2003 3.4 alero I use nothing but castrol high mileage semi synthetic with great success. Out here I've always run on the heavy side of weights. 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40. Keep in mind that ford has retrodated all of our engines to be compatible with 5w20. I just don't trust something that thin in a 30-118 degree climate knowing my actual bearing clearances.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use 5w30 Royal Purple. But i'm running a Vortech so it uses the oil. I'm on my second oil change with the Royal Purple. It doesn't seam to break down as fast as the Mobile 1. I change my oil every 2k miles. I dont drive my T-bird often but when I do, I don't baby it.

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Ok I decided on some 5W30 semi-synthetic, so we'll see what happens to the startup rattle when I've changed it over. It'll be the thinnest oil I've ever put in there. Wish me luck!
I think you'll be happy with it. I'm surprised at the limited selection that you listed.

Yea, Mobil1 is expensive here in the states too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have Castrol Magnatec 15w40, 10w40, 5w30 available, and 15w40 or 10w40 in the mineral GTX.

It doesn't get that cold here, and we are into summer now, so do you think 5w30 would be too thin for a 1994 4.6 with 105k?
5w30 is what ford used I always stick with it. I live in the southern U.S where its already well into the mid 90's everyday and i still use a 5w30 (high mileage though) and i'm about to hit the 200k mark.

I do use about half a quart between oil changes due to my valve seals leaking a bit.

if you're worried about it being to thin try a small bottle of oil treatment. with only 105k on your car you're just now breaking in that 4.6 :).

hope this was helpful.
Travis

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mobil 1 or Castrol Full synthetic 5W30 with oem Ford filters...

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was unable to log onto the forum today until now for some reason.

A typical auto parts store over here will stock Castrol, Mobil, Comma, and you can also get Shell Helix from the Shell stations. We rarely get Valvoline and never Royal Purple though. I've used Castrol for years in my older UK Fords back in the days when 20W50 was normal. I'm going to use the 5W30, even though it seems to pour like water! I'll let you know what happens....

·
Registered
850 Posts
Motorcraft 5w-30 (syn. blend) with Motorcraft FL-820S filter, normal OCI: 7,000 - 8,000 miles.
(+ Annual flush and rinse using Lubeguard Engine flush)
Car has 145k miles total now.

(omg - some people are using 10w-40 HIGH mileage oils in a 4.6L? That's like a 10w-50 and is probably WAY too thick for this engine, or for most modern normal engines, I think...) wonder if any of those people have ever done a used oil analysis to see how things are... Totally worth it for like $25 ...

·
Registered
850 Posts
absolutely NOT - it's exactly what you need to get the oil pumping fast at start up - do one OC with 5w-30 and a GOOD filter like Motorcraft FL820s (which has an anti drain back valve to help lubricate at start up), and see how those clackety start up rackets would go away -

My car has 145k miles, and I use MC 5w-30 or on occasion 5w-20. with the correct filter. One can hardly hear my engine running at idle.

Unless you have some big oil usage/leak, i would not put anything thicker than a 10w-30 in these engines.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i use either valvoline full synthetic, castrol syntech, lubromoly, or royal purple.

just depends on what I can get cheap when I want to change the oil.

right now I got 4 cases of chevron house brand full synth a chevron employee gave me as he had no use for it..

(omg - some people are using 10w-40 HIGH mileage oils in a 4.6L? That's like a 10w-50 and is probably WAY too thick for this engine,
nooo... 10w40 is like, so totally 10w40. High mileage oils just have additional detergents and/or seal conditioners.

those numbers actually mean stuff, they're not arbitrary.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Anyone run 10W40 have a real oil pressure gauge? I'd love to know how high the oil pressure goes with thick oil; I'd bet it opens the bypass at high R's.

I run 5W30 in Lazarus, I'd run5W20 if the front seal was better. (I plan to fix it with a Reworked Mark engine, lol. I'll run 5W20 in that.)

The 95k Tbird handles 5W20 without leaking, so that's what it gets.

I use Castrol or Mobil full synthetic, and change it every 3k miles. I drive a bunch of miles, so the 4mpg that the synthetic oil gives me is worth the extra cash.

The Red Cougar was getting 10W40 and seal sweller; I believe it caused a collapsed lifter, but can't prove that. (#8 exhaust, and it's at the end of the gallery... And the hottest, lol.)

The new motor for it isn't broken in yet; I'm not sure what oil to use first.

Synthetics will push out the lapping process that needs to happen; anyone know of a good break-in oil?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I run 10W40 in my 2004 Mustang GT, it calls for 5W20 but I dont really give a rip because it gets close to 120* sometimes in the the summer, and is routinely over 110* in July...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts