TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a block soon but i am wondering what engine to go with. For the longest time i was thinking a PI Explorer motor but lately i have been thinking DOHC mark VIII

This is what i would do with each engine
Mark-Ported Class C heads, Aftermarket cams, 99+ Cobra/Mach 1 Intake, Flat top Pistons all internals would be Forged, and eventually a Vortech supercharger.

Explorer- Ported PI heads or Trick Flow heads, Trick Flow Intake, Aftermarket Cams, Forged internals, and a Torch Teck Supercharger.

Just wanting to reach around 500HP with a power adder want to see everyone's opinion on the matter.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
flat top pistons w/ a blower?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Both combinations have problems.
For the DOHC motor combination you need to decide on power adder or not before getting the pistons. You also need to factor in the combustion chamber volume. Set a goal for compression ratio and order the pistons to get there.

For building a Tork Tech setup you won't need the trick flow intake because the intake is part of the kit. Blown96bird is doing an install now and could tell you some of the things that complicate the kit for a thunderbird. Having a complete 99+ car motor will help from what I have been told. The front cover and accesories don't work perfectly as is.

You probably need to consider the budget on the setup and try to near it. I know this the stuff adds up to a bunch of money fast. The 2v seems to be the easier setup unless you can do a bunch of fabricating yourself.
Alan

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both combinations have problems.
For the DOHC motor combination you need to decide on power adder or not before getting the pistons. You also need to factor in the combustion chamber volume. Set a goal for compression ratio and order the pistons to get there.

For building a Tork Tech setup you won't need the trick flow intake because the intake is part of the kit. Blown96bird is doing an install now and could tell you some of the things that complicate the kit for a thunderbird. Having a complete 99+ car motor will help from what I have been told. The front cover and accesories don't work perfectly as is.

You probably need to consider the budget on the setup and try to near it. I know this the stuff adds up to a bunch of money fast. The 2v seems to be the easier setup unless you can do a bunch of fabricating yourself.
Alan
Good point on the Tork Tech i should have mentioned down the road i would get a tork tech but i guess its a waste of money to buy a Trick Flow intake and then a year later get the blower. I guess i could always sell the intake but that would be dumb. I guess i would use a PI intake until i got the blower. and im not set on a flat top pistons or not for the DOHC it all depends on if i go with a blower or not. Nothing is set in stone these are just options and i dont want to use race gas but thats still an option as well.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If you go the 4V route, you might be able to save some money by using the B heads instead of the C heads.

First, they are pretty much free nowadays; second they flow very well especially in a boosted environment; and finally they can be ported fairly nicely for even more power.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/4v-svt/51445-4v-head-info.html

Just something to think about if you haven’t purchased the heads yet. :thumbsup:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
I guess i would use a Ported PI intake until i got the blower. and im not set on a flat top pistons or not for the DOHC it all depends on if i go with a blower or not. Nothing is set in stone these are just options and i dont want to use race gas but thats still an option as well.
ported PI intake?

you know PIs, like the 96-98 NPI intakes, are composite plastic and don't react well to carbide bits or sanding discs

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Good point on the Tork Tech i should have mentioned down the road i would get a tork tech but i guess its a waste of money to buy a Trick Flow intake and then a year later get the blower. I guess i could always sell the intake but that would be dumb. I guess i would use a Ported PI intake until i got the blower. and im not set on a flat top pistons or not for the DOHC it all depends on if i go with a blower or not. Nothing is set in stone these are just options and i dont want to use race gas but thats still an option as well.
I am doing something very similar actually. I got the trick flow intake because I trust it with nitrous, I don't trust the PI. In the future I would like to do a Tork Tech kit, but only time will tell.
Alan

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go the 4V route, you might be able to save some money by using the B heads instead of the C heads.

First, they are pretty much free nowadays; second they flow very well especially in a boosted environment; and finally they can be ported fairly nicely for even more power.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/4v-svt/51445-4v-head-info.html

Just something to think about if you haven’t purchased the heads yet. :thumbsup:
Thanks For the Heads up and No i have not purchased any heads yet. Im still deciding on what block to go with.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I guess i would use a Ported PI intake until i got the blower.
something tells me you're just saying things for the hell of it, or because it sounds "cool"........show me a ported plastic pi intake, or a place to get such a beast?.....have you really thought this through and researched?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
something tells me you're just saying things for the hell of it, or because it sounds "cool"........show me a ported plastic pi intake, or a place to get such a beast?.....have you really thought this through and researched?
I dont know why i said Ported for The PI To be honest I did know it had a plastic intake because i once had a all plastic intake and i knew that the PI's were plastic as well because of the class action law suit and i once was going to do a PI swap on the Stock engine. so to be honest i have no idea why i said Ported PI Intake. as far as research im not done with it i need to research more. I dont know what Pistons i want to use or what compression im really stuck on what block right now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts