TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my engine is toast and i cant find a 3.8 to swap in so i need alternatives

i know that the 4.2 is supposed to be really easy but they cost a fortune the cheapest i could fint was $1200 for a complete engine but then i would also have to track down the mustang oil pan

will the mustang 3.8 fit

what else is there? im still making payments on my car and its my only car so down time has to be as little as possible

thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
you could do a carbed 5.0 pretty easily, but youd never pass CA emissions... You could also just have your 3.8 rebuilt... dependin on whats wrong with it. The problem w/ the 4.6 would be it wont bolt to your trans, but a 5.0 or a 5.8 would.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im still close enough im in lake elizabeth now but i can use my dads truck to come get it if you like

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
674 Posts
This place is awesome, where else can you get a perfectly good engine for free? :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
my bad, read that wrong... still though...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
LOL, you guys thinking it's free... still asking $1200 is rather optimistic imo

·
5,650 Posts
LOL, you guys thinking it's free... still asking $1200 is rather optimistic imo
Possibly, but here's my logic. Looking at car-part.com, most 3.8L engines with reasonably low miles (30-50k) go for about $800 and are completely stock. Mine has less than 30k miles and has a few small but notable performance upgrades and is fully equipped with essentially new sensors and components. So I decide hey, why not ask $1,200. I'm open to reasonable offers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put a 3.8 from a 98 mustang in my tbird. Minimal work required. Changed exhaust manifolds, a few sensors, and wiring harness. Started right up and no Codes. I noticed in my search that mustang engines were alot cheaper than tbird engines. The one I bought had 70k miles and cost me $350.00. The same yard wanted $650 for one out of a 96 Tbird. I found it on car-part.com.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts