TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first of all say, that I know there are alot of Cougar owners on this board.

AND that I always did/do like Cougars as much as the Thunderbird.

BUT, hear me out.

We all know that the last run of the T-Bird didn't go over very well.

I watch alot of NASTY-Car. While the FUSION "may be" the best choice that has for the time being, I would personally would like to see FORD remake a T-Bird to "modern day specs", with a 5.0 v-8, HID lighting, even offer a stick shift.

NOW with that being said, my reasoning for MY choice of the car being a T-Bird, is that it had the slope back roof line.

When the T-Bird was on the NASTY-Car track it was pretty dominate. It would put the hurt on the Hendricks teams and the Stewart/Haas teams. (Don't EVEN get me started on Phoney Tony).

PLUS, give us some possible more choices to advance our cars, with possibly some newer upgrades.

HOWEVER, I know that FORD does NOT want competition with their Mustang.

OH well, it was (IMHO), a nice thought. BUT, will NEVER become a reality. :(

Thanx, for letting me vent.

Respectfully yours,

Tweety Bird

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well its almost been 10 years with no Thunderbird, so we probably won't see any new models. I did see a rumor on yahoo news that the Ford GT will be coming back and you won't have to worry about it being underpowered just to keep the Mustang the top dog. I guess we will see in a few months.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
The 2015 Mustang, for all intents and purposes, IS the closest thing to a modern MN12 Thunderbird you'll ever get. It's big, it's heavy, it's expensive, it's aero, it's plush, it's got IRS, it's got a hot V8, it's got small forced induction power, it's even got a modern take on strut rods for God sake!. There's more MN12 traits in the S550 than the Foxbody by miles, the only thing it's missing is a winged badge.

Put your tin foil hats away, if Ford could make more money with the Thunderbird badge than the Mustang they WOULD use it. Lest we forget how discombobulated the Thunderbird's history was, a touring/luxury coupe was about as far from the Thunderbird's original mission statement as it gets, so where would be the precedent to bring it back as such to appeal to our tastes? The large Coupe Market isn't exactly thriving right now, in fact it's dead

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Unfortunately I believe there are more mustang lovers then t-bird. I must say that as a young man in a high school of 2200 students no one had a t-bird. The prom queen drove a 66 stang, the football coach had a 1988 5.0 covertable And Every other person seemed to have a serious jones for the 5.0 fox body (me included). It is likely due to mustangs being the Ford of choice through the ages. I think it is the underdog T-bird, maverick, falcon lovers that keep the life in the less popular models. Perhaps we all go against the grain and, we all know what we like and don't accept the popular social influences of the time. (With my ragtop down so my hair can blow) I think the T-bird 2.0 was an attempt to rally the love of the 50's t-bird and if you ever drove both the old and the new it was a fine time. It just wasn't a car for an everyday person. I would love to buy a 2015 T-bird, but our style a unique choice of car is simply not mainstream. I wish it were! We are all going to keep reviving, repairing and restoring these great cars. That, my fellow MN12 lovers is the idea and what makes this sight and all who follow a step above.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's odd to think the as big as mn12's are they look small parked to many compacts these. I parked next to Versa. It looked huge.

With new cars loaded with so many options and with plenty of power on tap these days I'm not sure of people would even get the personal luxury thing. Though while they tried with the retro which didn't work so well , they still go for a pretty penny these days. Maybe there is still a market.

I personally would love to see them bring the the Falcons over but I can't imagine they ever would.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Unfortunately not likely since Ford is closing production in Austrailia in 2016. The 2015 Falcon is the last of the line IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
It's odd to think the as big as mn12's are they look small parked to many compacts these. I parked next to Versa. It looked huge.

With new cars loaded with so many options and with plenty of power on tap these days I'm not sure of people would even get the personal luxury thing. Though while they tried with the retro which didn't work so well , they still go for a pretty penny these days. Maybe there is still a market.

I personally would love to see them bring the the Falcons over but I can't imagine they ever would.
Every now and then I pull my Cougar up somewhere where it's visible like at a parts store, gas station, car show, ect. I've heard it since I bought it(although more so now since it's rarer), someone goes "wow, I haven't seen one of those *big cats* in a while!" I respond nicely since it's usually positive, but I always utter under my breath "yeah.... because other cougars are so small???". The MN12 Cougars are pretty much the exact same size as the 69-70s, they actually share the wheelbase with the 71-73(113") and let's not even mention the comparison in size to the 74-79 Torino/Montego based Cougars, or the weight of the current "ponycars"!

People not getting the personal luxury thing isn't the issue IMO, it's is as present today as it was in the 70s, the marketing people just changed the names yet again. Personal Luxury is what? A coupe that's stylized and enhanced over a basic midsized platform, right? Now what were Pony Cars? A 2 door that's stylized and enhanced over a basic compact platform. When you look past the different fashions that dictate the stylization and enhancements over the various decades you can see that exact same formula being applied all over the place, even currently with CUVs. The overall issue with people not getting cars like these really boils down to the lack of doors, and that is affecting pretty much everything that isn't a dedicated sports/supercar. Why do you think Ford is making the Mustang more and more hardcore with each update(Really just 10 years ago was basically a Civic sized and equipped car with a Crown Vic engine)??? At this rate, in another 10 years from now the Mustang will be in the same category as the Vette, achieving sacred cow loss leader status, while the practical and obtainable 2 door is completely extinct for good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
With the return of the BMW 6 series and the new plans to revive Lincoln, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Thunderbird/MN12-esq model that's built to our liking. But I have no clue what the overhaul of Lincoln will look like when they're done. Just that Jag and BMW both have large/lux coupes on the market again.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
With the return of the BMW 6 series and the new plans to revive Lincoln, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Thunderbird/MN12-esq model that's built to our liking. But I have no clue what the overhaul of Lincoln will look like when they're done. Just that Jag and BMW both have large/lux coupes on the market again.
You're going by the notion that the MN12 was a competitor to the E24, it wasn't. It was an influence on the design, the same way the current Fusion was influenced by Aston Martin's designs. The 89 Supercoupe wasn't even HALF the cost of a base 635csi in 89, and considering the current 6 series hasn't cracked more than 10k sales in the US, Ford has about as much incentive to answer that car as they would answering a Morgan.

I'm not aware of any current luxury Jag Coupes, I certainly wouldn't count the dead in the water XK as such.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The way I see it, the Mustang is now the T-bird (Gen 1, 2 and 10) and the Focus is now the Mustang.

And given the price the Mustang could be Ford's Corvette killer (GT350).

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
And given the price the Mustang could be Ford's Corvette killer (GT350).
Pretty stiff competition when youre up against the ZL1 Camaro and the brand new Z28 Camaro at the same time ... 7.0 Liter 505 HP without the supercharger. Way better than any piece of junk Ford is making right now. Sorry guys .. Ford just doesnt do it for me anymore. Still waiting for something decent to come out. I dont think any Thunderbird will come out anytime soon, and the only comparable car that has my attention right now is the Chevy Super Sport (Holden) 4 door sedan .. hands down, Ford sucks compared to the Chevy lineup.

·
Registered
966 Posts
7.0L into 505 HP and 470 lb·ft doesn't seem that impressive to me when the GT350 is pumping out similar if not better numbers with 5.2L.

Both are definitely cool cars, but the Camaro is still using 1954 technology by using OHV. I would be excited to see what they could do with a large OHC engine.

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Pushrod V8 engines are much more space efficient under the hood, something we all wish our Hemi sized 4.6s should envy, and OHC is 100+ years old technology (sorry the old technology schtick is a real pet peeve of of mine). The C4 ZR1 was a large DOHC engine, GM has since topped it's performance in every way with the LSx variants alone, not to mention the new LT1.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
7.0L into 505 HP and 470 lb·ft doesn't seem that impressive to me when the GT350 is pumping out similar if not better numbers with 5.2L.
Everybody knows bigger is better. LOL

I would be happy to see the 2016 2 door Ford Falcon make its way to the states and put a Thunderbird logo on it, but that's never going to happen.

Id like to see the Ford GT come back, that is more of a Vette killer.

As for the original topic - Ford isnt going to bring the Thunderbird back just so they can use the name on the track.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Pretty stiff competition when youre up against the ZL1 Camaro and the brand new Z28 Camaro at the same time ... 7.0 Liter 505 HP without the supercharger. Way better than any piece of junk Ford is making right now. Sorry guys .. Ford just doesnt do it for me anymore. Still waiting for something decent to come out. I dont think any Thunderbird will come out anytime soon, and the only comparable car that has my attention right now is the Chevy Super Sport (Holden) 4 door sedan .. hands down, Ford sucks compared to the Chevy lineup.
Stiff only if you are a GM fan boy, price I'm hearing for the GT350 is ~$50k compared to the Z28s $70k+. Considering the GT350 should be a direct competitor to the Z28.

Given the flat plane V8 and IRS I see the Mustang as Ford's attempt to sell it world wide, which could keep the price down.

·
Registered
966 Posts
OHC is 100+ years old technology (sorry the old technology schtick is a real pet peeve of of mine).
Oh trust me I know how old OHC engine are. Sorry, what I meant by dinosaur engine is the fact it's essentially Cole's design from 1955. I know they've come a long way, but it wouldn't take it over Ti-VCT.

GM also could have run 3 valves per cylinder but decided that with the complexity and cost, that it wouldn't be worth it for them even though there would be a some HP gains. I do think displacement on demand is a really cool feature.

Given the flat plane V8 and IRS I see the Mustang as Ford's attempt to sell it world wide, which could keep the price down.
I read somewhere we we're gonna keep the GT350 from going across the pond, although Mexico is supposed to get it as well.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Don't blame Ford, blame the current consumer taste. Most people these days want all of the personal luxuries in a convenient, "sporty" 4 door sedan. Reintroducing our cars on to the current market would relegate them into a very small niche market. If people want a sports car, they gravitate towards the Mustang. If they want a "luxury", they go to Lincoln. Family sedan? Focus, Fusion, Taurus, depending on what level of features and equipment they want. Econo box? Fiesta.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts