TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're both parrafin-based, and apparently using them will sludge your engine regardless of oil change intervals, so what good are they, anyway?

Why make oil out of wax?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
hotbird said:
They're both parrafin-based, and apparently using them will sludge your engine regardless of oil change intervals, so what good are they, anyway?

Why make oil out of wax?
If you had paid attention in your chemistry classes :D , you would know that paraffin is not just wax. In chemistry, it is the general term to refer to fully saturated hydrocarbon chains, i.e. molecules having the general formula of

CnH(2n+2)

They are also known as alkanes. As opposed to olefins (also known as alkenes), which have a double bond, and are therefore not fully saturated. And then there are the alkynes, which have a triple bond.

What it really means is that the base molecules are not aromatics (ring-shaped compounds), and are not branched alkanes, and don't have any double bonds. The importance of this? I have no clue. I would assume stability, but I've reached the limits of my organic chemistry knowledge.

As for them sludging your engine, I've heard that about Pennzoil, but frankly I think any of the brand name oils are good. I always had my oil changed at the nearest Jiffy Lube or equivalent, never specifying any brand. When I pulled the motor for a PI swap, there was no sludge in the pan, and the engine was remarkably clean.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Oil

I have always used either Valvoline or Pennzoil since I started driving..........in 1968. I did use Cam 2 for awhile too. Never had any trouble with them.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tobey, I understand what you're saying about it being more than just wax, but why do some people claim it causes sludge buildup and when switching to another brand with the same drain intervals, they no longer have this issue? Why have oil that does this...I mean is there a benefit to making it out of the stuff they use as opposed to what most other oil companies use as their base stock?

·
Registered
316 Posts
so if i used pennsoil

on my last change 1000 miles ago shold i be changing it?

id like to not switch to synth at 133k so which oil should i try?

previous owner left a bottle of wolfs head oil...never heard of it.

should i be using synth?

i did notice a slight tick now when i drive...dont know where its coming from, drivers side, cant be heard fomr engine bay, only be front tire...might be hf cats being burned out.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
hotbird said:
Tobey, I understand what you're saying about it being more than just wax, but why do some people claim it causes sludge buildup and when switching to another brand with the same drain intervals, they no longer have this issue? Why have oil that does this...I mean is there a benefit to making it out of the stuff they use as opposed to what most other oil companies use as their base stock?
Just because "some people claim it" doesn't make it true. There are a lot of variables that affect oil life. I suggest you spend a week or so on
www.bobistheoilguy.com and come to your own conclusion. My opinion is that any brand name oil is perfectly fine. But you know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Merlon said:
on my last change 1000 miles ago shold i be changing it?

id like to not switch to synth at 133k so which oil should i try?

previous owner left a bottle of wolfs head oil...never heard of it.

should i be using synth?

i did notice a slight tick now when i drive...dont know where its coming from, drivers side, cant be heard fomr engine bay, only be front tire...might be hf cats being burned out.
Again, my opinion... Why change the oil after 1000 miles? Pennzoil isn't going to magically destroy your engine all by itself. Also, the only reason to switch to synthetic is to extend time between oil changes. 3000 mile changes with synthetic is a waste of money.

As for the tick, it only occurs while driving, not while idling? What makes you think it's engine related and not suspension related?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I used Quaker State on my old truck, since its 1st oil change, to when I sold it at 250,000+ miles, and it only used 2 quarts of oil per every 3,000(when it hit like 220,000 or so).....not bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tobey said:
Also, the only reason to switch to synthetic is to extend time between oil changes. 3000 mile changes with synthetic is a waste of money.
I use Mobil 1 5-20w in my 4.6 32v Mach1 and I change it every 3000 miles because I can............................

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tobey said:
Again, my opinion... Why change the oil after 1000 miles? Pennzoil isn't going to magically destroy your engine all by itself. Also, the only reason to switch to synthetic is to extend time between oil changes. 3000 mile changes with synthetic is a waste of money.

As for the tick, it only occurs while driving, not while idling? What makes you think it's engine related and not suspension related?
at idle(650rpm) i cant hear it until the rpms are higher. 1k+

like a slight tick, then again in this car i have a bad idler pulley and maybe its the sound of it clacking when i drive.

replacing all of them if one is bad, sound about right? if that one goes, the others are sure to follow. getting steel idler pulleys, if that doesnt take care of the problem, im going to try exaust.

the previous owner had a fully custom cat back system, but the welds on the cats from the downtubes suck, so im getting downtubes, with cats, into my y pipe, into two mufflers. doesnt sound ricey no farty sounds.

·
5,650 Posts
Pennzoil used to be used in my Bird (before the engine rebuild and before I got ahold of it and began changing oil myself instead of Jiffy Lube). There was a decent amount of sludge build-up, despite the fact that the oil was changed religiously at 3k intervals.

Merlon,
Yes you should replace the idler pulleys/tensioner at the same time as general rule of thumb to keep the belt system working at its best. Can you see the idler pulley move when you rev the engine? If not then I wouldn't suspect it as the cause of the "tick". The bearings are what wear out and they generally make an unpleasant squeal or grinding type sound. Does the interval in which you hear the "tick" vary with RPM's? If so, I'd suspect exhaust. A bad weld could over time develop a leak. The noise could also be your injectors. But both the exhaust and injectors require the "tick" to vary with engine RPM.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter. I also use a Napa Gold filter. This is all I've used since I got the car over two years ago.

·
Registered
316 Posts
master486 Does the interval in which you hear the "tick" vary with RPM's? If so said:
well the idler pulley does not move, the part in the red box moves around macking a clanking sound.

the tick of the injectors is a minor tick compared to this.
its coming from near the driver side HF cat. installed by the last owner, but a bad weld job. might get better downtubes, hopefully that cures that.

deffinetley the tick will vary with the rpms. ill drive more tommorow, havent paid so much attention as to how it varies. whether it is faster slower, louder...thanks for that response though.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Crude oil is from the dieing creatures on our planet that get compacted down into the earths crust until it forms oil and other stuff. At least that is what Discovery says. When we burn it, it releases hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. I'm probably not sure about this.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
quakerstate and pennzoil are the same thing. Think about their names, they're both from Pennsylvania. I have 'heard' that the paraffin wax in these two 'can' cause a build up of wax in the block and oil passages. Is this true, and is this a bad thing? Who knows, you wont know by how much oil the car uses, or by how often you change it. Those have nothing to do with it. Thats ike saying you know how a transmission works because you've put ATF in the dipstick before. The only way to tell would be to disassembole your engine and inspect the block. And I have only heard these complaints from people who just that very thing for a living. Engine builders and such. They say it makes it a hassle to clean everything. Thats the only downfall Ive heard of it. So in my opinion, the problem is the whiney engine builders, not the oil.
-Thomas

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had best results with one full bottle of lucas oil treatment& valvoline max life. A few years back my 92lx n/a 3.8 had leaking front main seal(from sitting for 2 years). changed with max life & lucas leak stopped drove for two more years with no oil leaks then boom whent the head gasket now in a 89 nlx n/a 3.8

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Years ago, there was a problem with Quaker State, gaining it the reputation of being "canned sludge", and it was. Nowadays, if the classification suits your engine, pretty much any brand is OK. That does NOT apply to filters however, there are some real crappy ones out there.

Bob

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
a work we had one of those lucas displays, where it has a line of gears you could rotate with a little metal andle and you could see how the oil flowed. The conventional oil side would move with less force, but the oil didnt travel up the line of gears. The lucas took more force, but you could see it sticking to all the gears and move all the way up the line. But we took an electric drill and attached it to the handle and spun it really fast. The Lucas foamed like crazy! Wether or not it does that in an actual running engine I dont know, but I could see it happening. And air doesnt lubricate. I just found that interesting.
-Thomas

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Thomas said:
a work we had one of those lucas displays, where it has a line of gears you could rotate with a little metal andle and you could see how the oil flowed. The conventional oil side would move with less force, but the oil didnt travel up the line of gears. The lucas took more force, but you could see it sticking to all the gears and move all the way up the line. But we took an electric drill and attached it to the handle and spun it really fast. The Lucas foamed like crazy! Wether or not it does that in an actual running engine I dont know, but I could see it happening. And air doesnt lubricate. I just found that interesting.
-Thomas
Sounds like one of the experiments that they did on bobistheoilguy.com
http://bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts