TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a few weeks ago, my girlfriend was driving home from my house in her 91 3.8NA bird, and then I get a call from her that her car died. So I drive down there, and she's waiting with a tow truck guy, and she says that she was driving, then all of a sudden it sounded like there were marbles in her motor and she looked down and the temp was through the roof. I open the hood, and she has coolant on the pass. side inner fender, and no oil in the pan. We get the car home, and the next day I add oil and start it up, and it starts just fine but it sounded like she broke a connecting rod or wrist pin or something. Anyway, I got another 3.8 for the car and did the swap and everything is fine with the car now, (by the way, none of the coolant hoses were damaged) but out of curiousity I pulled the oil pan off the old motor to see what she destroyed, and everything looks fine. No bent/broken rods, no broken wrist pins, all the cylinders move fine, and the motor turns over easily. Anyone know what happened?

Mike

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
The coolant on the inner fender probably came from the resevoir, after it over heated. I'm taking a guess, but the connecting rod bearings are probably toast. No oil, no lubrication, lots of noise! :eek:

Joe

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
im almost willing to put money on the rod bearings.. i know the sound ALL too well... one of the worst sounds ever. i will not go into detail though. -greg

·
Registered
161 Posts
hmmm...I think that maight be what's wrong with my motor as well...maybe I should get a sound clip to have glowing escape analuze it...my cousin said it is either my main bearings or rod bearing, but not sure...I'll try to get something and post it hear somehow...Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to fix the rod bearings?

Wes

I never had the overheating problem though...just the knocking kinda noise...

·
Registered
460 Posts
The main berings have been know to go out in the 3.8's. Not as common as the headgasket's but if you do a serch it pops up enough.

If she had no oil in the engine well, nothing good is going to happen.

Funny thing that happend to me several years ago is that when my old `91 S-10 started burning oil it got so low one time that the engine shook like it was dying. Put some oil in it and it was fine. :zdunno: Still burned oil, but no other damage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ive got access to a 96 stang motor that the mains went out on, only had 90K on it. it still ran but made the knocking sounds. That sounds like what my current 3.8 is doing, hopefully 3.8 number 3 is better....

On that note, i used to run a 1982 Diplomat straight 6 until it locked up from being low on oil, it would cool down, add oil and fire back up! It did this for years. I hated that car and wanted it to die, but it wouldnt!!! Just kept clacking along....and it still runs today.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Would that be the infamous "slant 6" that chrysler put out? they were famous for that! Sound and run like s**t, but they just would not go all the way and die!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yep the good ole slant six. Sounded like a room full of tap dancers when running, smoked pretty good, hard to start in the morning, but hard to stop at all. I know I had it down to half a quart one time.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ya shoulda turbo'd it.

You CAN build a 3.8 Slant Six to make some decent power... enough for 14's in a Duster.

Not that fast, until you consider that Bone stock that duster ran a 19 second quarter. =]

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I thought the proper term for the Mopar was "Tipped over six".

·
Registered
241 Posts
Slant Six, LEaning Tower of Power, Slany Sick, etc etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts