TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an important post everyone should read....

Here is the result of a miss timed Interfearnace engine.

Timing on the right head was off by 3 or 4 links and this was the result.

These are the valves after disasembly of motor

This is one of the cylinder heads

This is the Two cylinder heads and the broken valves, notice damage to heads where valves were crushed.

This is of the two piston heads that were damaged as a result of the mis-timing.

Wanted to post so everyone realized the seriousness of the timing settings on your motors.

Anyone have a handle on a 5.4 for my bird? or a PI Explorer motor, I'm all ears...

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I'm about to swap PI heads and I need all the info I can get .

How did you set your timming and what exactly happened ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
hold long did it go clack clack clack clack clack before you went oh crap and turned it off?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I know that the Camry 5S-FE is a interfearance motor,Pretty crazy really,Timing belt brakes and all is well untill around 2500 rpm and then BANG!Piston smacks the Valves.Good Times!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
did you try and turn the motor by hand once you reassembled it? With it being that far off you should have been able to tell with turning it over by hand before you started it...just so you know for next time

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twin turbo 281 said:
did you try and turn the motor by hand once you reassembled it? With it being that far off you should have been able to tell with turning it over by hand before you started it...just so you know for next time

No, unfortunately I did not. I did not know what I was doing. I should have looked into the process more. What I learned from this experience I will never forget.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Wicked_Paintball said:
No, unfortunately I did not. I did not know what I was doing. I should have looked into the process more. What I learned from this experience I will never forget.
shnyt happens mann as long as you learn from your mistakes thats whats important ya know

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
yeah you have to really turn your engine over ALOT to test it... And it sux when you have to do it with a break over bar. I'm sorry you had to go through with that. When I did my PI cam swap we marked with a magic marker the little pins in the links. One of the pins will line up almost EXACTLY with the timing mark on the sprocket for hte camshaft. That way we knew if it had skipped a tooth or anything. Good luck with an engine swap though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a pic of the timing cover that started my whole problem

Notice the hole where belt tensioner ground through and the crack through it that split the upper part from the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts